Finding Land though Nether tunneling?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RalphKastro

Finding Land though Nether tunneling?

Post by RalphKastro »

So, I've recently reached a point in my new world where I feel comfortable searching for villages and, more importantly, temples. Thing is, Spawn seems to be just one big island, as far as I could check, and whenever I try making tunnels through the nether, I end up on some cave system, which a little of digging usually reveals to be under the ocean.

So, the question is, do you guys have any tricks to finding land when using the nether?
magikeh

Re: Finding Land though Nether tunneling?

Post by magikeh »

I like to dig in a straight line along the ceiling, every pickaxe or so I'll set up a portal and check what's on the other side. If I find myself in a cave, there's nothing but ocean overhead so I just pop back into the nether and start up again. If you have a crucible and are able to recoup some of the cost of tunnelling, I honestly had better successes with tunnelling out on an angle, but straight line tunnelling is easy :P

More recently though I've found it easier to find land via boating around. I'll pick a direction (usually into the sunset so I can tell when to bunk) and when night does come along, all that needs to be done is a lilypad placed and a little fort built atop the water. These also serve as nice landmarks in the abyss of the oceans.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO