Hardcore Stumping (Spoiler Thread)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
razar51

Re: Hardcore Stumping (Spoiler Thread)

Post by razar51 »

jackatthekilns wrote:has anyone confirmed if any iron is returned from flint and steel after the changes?
Just tried. You still get 1 nugget back from throwing flint and steel in a crucible

Shears return reduced rates of iron though, so my days of making massive manual vine farms for large mob traps are over.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

After updating yesterday after a bit of hiatus from BTW, I can definitely say I love the feature. It took a bit to get used to, but before I had a small area dedicated to growing trees, but now I''ve had to greatly (and continuously) expand it. So even though My world didn't have stumps to begin with, I'm still left with stumps slowly spreading out from my base. I also have to consider where I place the trees in relation to where I may want to build in the future, which is super cool. Overall, great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I never knew how fast you can utterly lay waste to a whole forest until now. Kinda scary actually...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I've noticed that I *can* punch through stumps, given enough time (takes ~20 seconds or so). This makes sense and is consistent with other blocks that you can't destroy, like punching through stone, but I didn't see anyone else mention it here so I'm not sure if this is actually an intended feature or if there's something weird going on with my install/world.
Rob

Post by Rob »

gaga654 wrote:I've noticed that I *can* punch through stumps, given enough time (takes ~20 seconds or so). This makes sense and is consistent with other blocks that you can't destroy, like punching through stone, but I didn't see anyone else mention it here so I'm not sure if this is actually an intended feature or if there's something weird going on with my install/world.
FC did make mention of this in his first reply to this thread. The second to last paragraph.

So rest assured your install is working as intended. :D
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Oh, whoops, now that I go back and read it again I realize it was stated pretty clearly in the first post too that it's possible to break stumps with enough effort. I'm not sure how I got the idea that there was a consensus that they're unbreakable. Sorry about that!
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

So I'm confused, is there any gameplay aspect to stumps aside from making you feel like the tree hugging hippies may have had a smidgen of a point? And as a bonus, what did FC mean about electoral hilarity? Doesn't ring any bells with me, but then again I'm probably living somewhere apart from aforementioned hilarity.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Dorugami wrote:So I'm confused, is there any gameplay aspect to stumps aside from making you feel like the tree hugging hippies may have had a smidgen of a point?
Supposed to make you aware of your environment, since it restricts the amount of land you can clear for building in the early game, as well as slightly toughening up the early game while giving a visual representation of your impact on your environment I guess.
Dorugami wrote:And as a bonus, what did FC mean about electoral hilarity? Doesn't ring any bells with me, but then again I'm probably living somewhere apart from aforementioned hilarity.
Can't stump the president elect.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sandrew wrote:Can't stump the president elect.
No no no no no no no. Just no.

"Stumping" is the process of traveling around the country making speeches during the campaign season. You constantly hear it being referred to as "on the stump" when they give such a speech. No reference to any particular politician was implied, I was just wrapping that particular feature up during the height of the campaign season.

And no.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sandrew wrote:Can't stump the president elect.
No no no no no no no. Just no.

"Stumping" is the process of traveling around the country making speeches during the campaign season. You constantly hear it being referred to as "on the stump" when they give such a speech. No reference to any particular politician was implied, I was just wrapping that particular feature up during the height of the campaign season.

And no.
Well sorry, I'm not a native speaker and as a result I'm much more familiar with the mantra of supporters of a certain politician.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sandrew wrote:Well sorry, I'm not a native speaker and as a result I'm much more familiar with the mantra of supporters of a certain politician.
Yup, no worries. I just don't want to have it interpreted as a comment on a particular politician. I probably should have thought of that myself, but unfortunately, I did not.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Supposed to make you aware of your environment, since it restricts the amount of land you can clear for building in the early game, as well as slightly toughening up the early game while giving a visual representation of your impact on your environment I guess.
Tried it on a new world (old one had trees with no stumps), and I have to say, the really committed builder isn't gonna let a few 20s punching stop him from building topside, but I guess it does deter large scale building near forests early game. When I popped the stumps I kinda expected something a bit more...stumpy I guess? Like an anchor with a wider point or a pedestal, but eh, I was deliberately stumping way before the update, so I guess that's an example of me disappointing myself right there XD
Momma always said a day learning nothing is a day wasted, thanks for the enlightenment!
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

So I played around with a new world to fully experience hardcore stumping and I've found something...cheaty? exploitable? bugged? I'm not sure so I'll just post this here to get confirmation from the man himself that it's working as intended. Here's my story:

I've been clearing a snowy forest of trees for sticks and happened to find I want to grow more...flammable wood like oak or birch so I decided to clear the stumps. I had a decent underground red shroom farm and enough raw materials to make about two stacks of remover when I spied...flint and steel. Thinking to myself it would be a worthwhile experiment to see if they burned out or just burned forever or even just light up but not burn up I decided to light five of the stumps in the middle to avoid catching the entire forest on fire.

After about half a minute, give or take three of the others puttered out and...burned out.

The last two burned for a minute more...with the one on the left burning for quite a while more before it finally burned to ashes.

So I'm kinda bummed out now, I half expected hard burned out stumps of hardwood replacing the stumps after all that...or something. Is this part of the feature FC, or did I stumble on a cheaty way of negating stump removers with a cheap nugget+flint combo?

And after I named this new world Cheatless XD. Give me a sign!

EDIT: I also expected the Stump Removers to go up to 64...but now I have almost eight stacks of the stuff instead, might as well ask about it while I'm here.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I can confirm flammability of stumps due to panicked creeper-avoidance near a surface lava pool.

I can also contribute slightly further (I promise it's relevant) by reporting that pre-diamond-pick for initial nether access, I needed to process a single unit of chocolate in a cauldron for emergency pig storage before I hunted them to extinction. In desperation, I plopped a single birch log underneath a cauldron in a fireproofed room and managed to cook it that way, albeit slowly. Note that with the heat of a single burning log, I had sufficient burn time to come out of the deal with the chocolate and still had time to manually pat out the flames and re-harvest the birch log.

The relevance here is that, while I'd be surprised if this possibility were intentionally planned for (my wager based on FC's very high caliber of development skill is that, instead, it may have been considered and categorized as an acceptable possibility -- possibly begrudgingly, though this is speculation on my own part -- for balancing purposes) and left in. It's not something I feel encouraged to rely on as an excuse to avoid nether access for cauldron usage because lighting that damn birch consumed almost two full lighters. While it's possible that I simply don't know how to use the flint and steel properly (igniting portals is a similar pita requiring that I kit out with a minimum of 3 lighters before attempting a new portal junction) I'm more inclined to presume that the low per-lighter cost of a single nug, along with hibachi/crucible recycling if you're judicious with the durability gauge, is that lighting wood logs (or stumps) on fire at will is a known, though prolly emergent, bottleneck.

Epilogue: a previously scrapped base-design goal was to intentionally spawn alternating layers of dirt / stumps on my primary base entrance as a form of slow-encroachment blast proofing. That idea came when I took a walking nitre-monkey blast to the face while I'm a severe food crisis and was suffering from "starving" rebuff on movement speed. To that point I huddled all saplings in a carpet to minimize walking distance, with jumping not a concern because I was using ladders. I estimated that fourteen dirt blocks were blown into piles, but only a single was of sawdust and an oak bark was evidence of stump-damage. With a crucible humming from four hibachis, I decided to sift a stack of gravel and play with trying to get a carpet-burn of the stump layer once I realized how stupid the idea was. Nope. Seven lighters for nine stumps in what had grown to a four-stump-thick-plus-interleaI can confirm flammability of stumps due to panicked creeper-avoidance near a surface lava pool.

tldr: I think I can almost entirely confirm your experience and my own player-speculation is that it's either actively intended as you report, or recognized as an eventual consequence and embraced.

edited to eliminate paragraph duplication, or "ode to the hostilities of posting by smartphone from within the New York City subway system."
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Sometimes I find this a small bug ...
I think its very rare but som three will be without stumps !

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ko_teknik wrote:Sometimes I find this a small bug ...
I'd have to check the order things are done in code to be sure, but to me that looks like terrain gen (like for that small pond) overwriting part of the tree with air, hence them floating in mid air. As far as I know you see that kind of thing all the time in vanilla.
ion

Post by ion »

happens in vanilla also. tree generate first then the lake
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:happens in vanilla also. tree generate first then the lake
Yup, thanks for the confirmation. In this case, I think it's likely an indication that I did things right, in that the lake gen code still recognizes the trunk as a valid block to overwrite and doesn't just leave it floating there potentially detached from rest of tree.