New Release! (BTW V4.A2 Timing Rodent b) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.A2 Timing Rodent b) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.A2 Timing Rodent b of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Stumping in honor of the electoral process.

-Added Stump Remover for when you're sick of the electoral process. It is made with creeper oysters, red mushrooms, and rotten flesh in the crafting grid.

-Added Hardcore Grass. This changes grass so that it can only grow in natural light. Torches will no longer work, nor will Light Blocks.

-Added a conversion recipe for nether brick slabs into full blocks to match those added for other slabs a couple of releases ago.

-Changed (decreased) the attack rate on slimes and magma cubes to better match other mobs.

-Changed sugar cane so that it can be burned directly in a furnace instead of having to be converted to paper first.

-Changed axes so that iron and better aren't damaged when splitting logs in the crafting grid. Previously, there was no benefit to use better axes than stone to do so, which would create busy-work for the player in crafting and using stone axes just for that purpose.

-Changed chickens so that they'll reliably lay eggs the next morning after they are fed, instead of at a fairly random time. This both slows down the rate of egg production, and makes collecting eggs manually less of an annoyance as you can now make it part of your daily routine. Note that chickens must be fed at least 10 minutes before morning (the full night), or egg laying will be delayed a full day until the following morning.

-Changed piles of soul sand so that the cloud will only make whining noises if moving towards a target, but will stay silent if it doesn't detect anything. This should make it a tad easier to use.

-Changed piles of soul sand to have a more evident visual effect when used.

-Changed gold and iron items so that they return only roughly two thirds of the original metal when melted in the Crucible. This is intended to further incentivize mob traps and the use of higher tier tools, as both diamond and soulforged steel still have a 100% return.

-Changed villager trading so that trades aren't replaced by ones for the same or similar items as other unrelated trades are completed. This created some rather sploity behavior with items like skulls, where the player could avoid particularly difficult trades by completing others, and was more confusing than anything else.

-Changed the install directions in this readme to work with the new Minecraft launcher. If experienced mod users can review these and let me know if there are any issues with them, I'd be much obliged.

-Fixed problem where slimes and magma cubes would still deal damage to the player after they were dead.

-Removed wither skeleton skull trade from priests as it was disproportionately difficult to fill relative to other trades.

The 'b' version contains the following changes:

-Fixed a problem where the Battle Axe wouldn't properly chop logs.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Rawny

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A2 Timing Rodent) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Rawny »

Woohoo! Thanks man! Looking forward to it.
Hope things are good.

Edit: now I'm upset. I'm old'ing, I've got a late late night tomorrow, and I was planning on going to bed early. *pout*

Edit 2: nonono, that sounds bad. What I meant by "Hope things are good" was "I hope things are going well with you." Not "I hope these awesome sounding changes are good.", big difference!
Last edited by Rawny on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

-Removed wither skeleton skull trade from priests as it was disproportionately difficult to fill relative to other trades.
I've been bitten by this one in the past, so glad they are gone :)

Let me be the first to say:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

You just made my day :)

EDIT: I think I have a clue what the Stump thing is about, time to test it
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Whaaaaaaat? AAAAHHHHHHHHH! Can't say this enough but thank you FC.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys! Was procrastinating about those install instructions for awhile now, but finally managed to kick myself in the pants today to get this out :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The stumps are lovely, loving that feature :)

I just feel a very strong urge to build an email server around them to keep the illegal hatsies out. Is that normal or should I see a doctor?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I just feel a very strong urge to build an email server around them to keep the illegal hatsies out. Is that normal or should I see a doctor?
Now, now. It was a very neutral political reference to the process itself rather than to any particular candidate and/or policy.

So yes, off to the doctor with you :)
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

*whoops loudly, runs in circles*

Frankly this is a weird bit of synchronicity for me. My brother and I were just talking last night at Thanksgiving about needing to start up a new server and get back into BTW. ! Also, if Hardcore Stumping is what I think it is,
Spoiler
Show
that's a really interesting way to provide a marker of where you've been before
. I'm excited to jump back in.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

just curious, but will the hardcore grass thing break any underground wool farms? That's on my list of upcoming projects, so I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time on that.

edit: my milk cows are probably duds too. that's....unpleasant. not sure how I'm going to move those without getting kicked to death
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DiamondArms wrote:just curious, but will the hardcore grass thing break any underground wool farms? That's on my list of upcoming projects, so I'd like to know if I'm wasting my time on that.
Yup, would definitely break any design that doesn't provide sun/sky access for grass. That's really the idea here: to provide an additional design constraint for the keeping of animals and increase the value of surface level construction.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

The change to chickens alone would have made a great patch! Honestly, immediately after settling down and before hoppers, was some of the least enjoyable gameplay in the mod for me specifically because of the chicken sitting you're forced into if you rely on eggs for food. Honestly we had one guy on our private server who essentially just fed chickens for a few weeks while we were first building up.
The crucible iron change is honestly one that I've been expecting for a while now, that full return on iron was an out of character gift from our spiky overlord. Well, at least now I have a reason to use diamonds other than a beacon and a chest full of lenses.
As always, your updates drag us kicking and screaming towards our enjoyment. Bravo, sir.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! An (an extremely) early Christmas-present. Thank you so much FC.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Update?

Awesome.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

It really is a monument to the polish this game has when several years later, I put aside a lot of things just from the sheer excitement of an update. Many thanks for the effort in this release FC, I know it can't have been a cakewalk (it never is but much more so from recent events).
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Charley_P

Post by Charley_P »

BTW LIIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEESSSS!!!!!
"See! We're well thought out and philosophical... lets go kill stuff and eat it!"
Charley_P

Post by Charley_P »

Now to get my account back!
"See! We're well thought out and philosophical... lets go kill stuff and eat it!"
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

YESSS <3
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Charley_P wrote:Now to get my account back!
Account back? What do you mean Charley?
Rianaru wrote: The crucible iron change is honestly one that I've been expecting for a while now, that full return on iron was an out of character gift from our spiky overlord. Well, at least now I have a reason to use diamonds other than a beacon and a chest full of lenses.
Yeah, I was never big on the idea of having a loss to the recycling just for the sake of having one, but what finally sold me on the idea was doing it as a way to up the value of diamond. I implemented it as an experiment, and wound up really liking what it did to the game.

I find it makes for a really interesting risk/reward mechanic in that you can use iron, but you know you're losing in the process. Or, you can use diamond, have better tools, and make it 100% lossless. The thing is, if you die with that kind of equipment on you, it's going to hurt like hell.

It also pushed me to make a mob farm much earlier than I had in other playthroughs, which I consider to be a big old bonus.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:It also pushed me to make a mob farm much earlier than I had in other playthroughs, which I consider to be a big old bonus.
I was thinking about this. I used to wait until I had a lot of resources to make a massive mob trap. Now intermediary "smaller and cheaper" mob farms will start to pop up all over the place.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:what finally sold me on the idea was doing it as a way to up the value of diamond. I implemented it as an experiment, and wound up really liking what it did to the game.
The only thing I'm a bit worried about is how villager trading devalues diamonds. When the feature first came out, after just a little dicking around with the trades, we wound up with about 2 stacks of diamond ingots. At that point, diamond is cheap enough that you really don't have to care about iron anymore.

That's pretty late game though (you need at least a well-stocked second base to fly through the villager trades), so it might be fine at that point to drop the value.

Just an observation I had when the trading came out, that now seems more pertinent, since in the past, iron was so cheap to recycle that the cheap recyclable diamond ingots felt like nothing more than an upgrade.

I obviously haven't played through the entire tree yet with the new iron change, so I don't know yet how it will feel once that villager trade opens up.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

Whoop! new update! thanks man!!
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Just an observation I had when the trading came out, that now seems more pertinent, since in the past, iron was so cheap to recycle that the cheap recyclable diamond ingots felt like nothing more than an upgrade.
Good point. I didn't find a blacksmith in my current world, so I totally forgot about those trades. Will think on it.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Steel Battle Axe Change?
Spoiler
Show
My steel battle axe is only giving planks, bark and saw dust when chopping trees, is this a bug or feature?
hawk

Post by hawk »

I had started a new game last week after a 6 month hiatus. Can't wait to load this up and run through the tech tree. That change log has some subtle greatness to it! I look forward to how this will change how I play the mid and early game. Thank you FlowerChild!!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magick_Miner wrote: My steel battle axe is only giving planks, bark and saw dust when chopping trees, is this a bug or feature?
It shouldn't be doing that. I'll give it a look.

EDIT: Confirmed. Don't bother reporting it, I'll fix it up right away.