Screw Pump Lag???

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
rockoutwill

Screw Pump Lag???

Post by rockoutwill »

This is probably the right forum... probably.

So when using a screw pump (testing a project in creative) one of the screw pumps has this obscene amount of lag, it is powered and is giving smoke, but it just takes such a ridiculous amount of time to suck up the water.

if i use a source block of water, the pump immediately sucks up the water, even if its 8 blocks away from the source. but if i use water buckets, no matter how close, and no matter how much i spam the buckets, it still takes forever to start, too long for most people and the small amount of patience we have as humans.

Is this intentional or?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Screw Pump Lag???

Post by FlowerChild »

If I remember right, they aren't even supposed to work at all with the temporary water created by buckets, as otherwise this would lead to the potential for creating water supplies out of them.
rockoutwill

Post by rockoutwill »

FlowerChild wrote:If I remember right, they aren't even supposed to work at all with the temporary water created by buckets, as otherwise this would lead to the potential for creating water supplies out of them.
Oh, well it seems they work, but only after a long time, i apologize if in some way im "Breaking" the mod but i am in fact trying to make a water wheel that powers itself through screw pumps, it works if you have a source block and remove the source block, it creates a loop.

so are you saying it wont work at all if i dont start it with a source?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

rockoutwill wrote: so are you saying it wont work at all if i dont start it with a source?
It should probably stop working if you start it with a source and then remove the source, as well. I distinctly remember spending a lot of time figuring out ways to prevent the kind of endless loops you're trying to create. I believe I built all kinds of error checking code into the pumps to make that (theoretically) impossible, and had a lot of back and forth with the community until all the known workarounds were stopped.

One thing to note: the mod works differently in creative and survival, as it's intended to only be played in survival. It's possible that what you're creating there won't actually work once you try it in a survival game.
rockoutwill

Post by rockoutwill »

Ah, okay.

thanks for the help man, saves me a lot of wasted time :)

although i could still use it if i don't want to route the water all sorts of weird ways, but infinite water be damned! ;)
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but I think I've managed to replicate the device in survival. once the source is cut off, it stays and I can divert water off (see the top edge of this pic)
Spoiler
Show
It works, but randomly it does stop working and needs a water reset. other than that I think it can be tapped for water. no lag though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DiamondArms wrote: It works, but randomly it does stop working and needs a water reset.
Some of this is coming back to me now (been awhile since I worked on it), and I think part of what I did was only periodically perform certain computationally expensive checks. I remember tracing water back to see if it has a valid source being a tad tricky given it can travel quite a distance and do so in fairly convoluted paths. Definitely not the kind of thing you want to be doing every tick.

So hence why such a device may operate for awhile before shutting down. I suspect that may be the case with the one rockoutwill managed to get working as well: he just hadn't run it long enough for it to break.
rockoutwill

Post by rockoutwill »

FlowerChild wrote: So hence why such a device may operate for awhile before shutting down. I suspect that may be the case with the one rockoutwill managed to get working as well: he just hadn't run it long enough for it to break.
that explains what MagikEh describes as "decaying water" eventually it would just seem that one screw pump in the loop would stop pumping, and the water would drain.

Wow, never realized how much science is in BTW, and how much thought went into it. FC, man, i solute you. best mod.