BTW and the Oculus

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jackatthekilns

BTW and the Oculus

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild,
I don't know if this has been discussed, but now that the Oculus Rift API is out, is there any chance of allowing someone to add Oculus compatibility to BTW? I know VR for Minecraft is being done, But like most here I have little interest in playing vanilla. Just curious.
Gilberreke

Re: BTW and the Oculus

Post by Gilberreke »

Humor me for a second, while I ignore how weirdly out of left field this post is and how completely unfeasible it is. Why Occulus specifically? From what I understand from the market, there's like 10 brands of VR and Occulus is the one people don't own? Seems weirdly specific to put in time to support just one brand of slightly unpopular VR.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

I was having a discussion about VR with a coworker and I remembered that there was a Java port of the Oculus API, which would make this possible. I am not really concerned with Oculus specifically, the competitors I am aware of are not for PC, if there are better options, then whatever works. I do not currently own any VR system so I am not chained to Oculus. So I guess the question should be for any VR system. I am not expecting FC to do this himself. So if he allowed someone to add this it would be for whatever they decided would be best.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

jackatthekilns wrote: I was having a discussion about VR with a coworker and I remembered that there was a Java port of the Oculus API, which would make this possible. I am not really concerned with Oculus specifically, the competitors I am aware of are not for PC
The Vive, which as far as we know is actually more popular than the Rift, is for PC. Facebook tried turning the Rift into a closed platform and it backfired.

Regardless, this is simply unfeasible. The amount of work that would need to be done is massive.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, this is not something I have any interest in. Beyond that, given this borders on a suggestion and further discussion won't serve any purpose, I'll close the thread.