Squid Fighting Tips

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
BobSlingblade679

Squid Fighting Tips

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

So, I've learned a few things that I think might be helpful to others. First off, something that might be a massive spoiler as I don't remember seeing anyone mention this. However, I can see this seriously screwing an early game player, so I suggest you read it.

Never, ever, EVER:
Spoiler
Show
Parry a squid. You won't get pulled in, but your sword will, and the squid will fling it behind him.
Second, squid seem to need a second or two of constant line of sight before they attempt to grab you. Unlike the bullshit from skeletons, this "charge" time resets every time you break line-of-sight. Consequently, a two block pillar, or a conveniently placed tree, on the beach will allow you to pop out, take a swing, fall back, and repeat to kill squid safely.

Third, night vision potions allow you to see squid underwater more easily. If you need to cross a river at night, these will let you pick a safe spot to cross.

Hopefully that's helpful. Anyone else have tips fighting squids or protecting oneself from them?
Mesh

Re: Squid Fighting Tips

Post by Mesh »

Just one quick extenstion to the usefulness of night vision potions, they counteract the Gloom effects, which for me at least, are a main cause of death once I get pulled underwater. I'd also recommend getting a helm enchanted with Respiration.

Equipping yourself with Night Vision potions, a Respiration helmet and an Iron Sword (or better) and you should have no trouble taking out hordes of squids head on.
BobSlingblade679

Thanks, Mesh. Good tips.

But is it even possible to get respiration pre-anvil? I have yet to get one on my helmets.
Lenburg1

Post by Lenburg1 »

I've learned a bit about squids from digging my water canals. First, avoid squids in general but if you have to be near them plan out an exit strategy in advance. If you get the squids in one block deep water, they appear to have a more difficult time latching unto you so its easier to fight them off. I think this might be that the block beneath the squid appear to limit the angles that it can attack from since (at least that is my theory if anyone else has noticed this I'm curious what you think). If they are in one block deep of water they will also be unable to drag you to deeper water where you would drown. Lastly avoid large groups of squids. I recommend cementing the deep parts so that they can't spawn. Lastly, I believe mobs sometimes drop helmets with Respiration which I read on the wiki the other day.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Anyone else have tips fighting squids or protecting oneself from them?
Get a really good helmet. When you absolutely have to fight squid do so while in the shallows or even while swimming, they won't throw you around and instead swim directly up to you to try and couple with your face. Back-pedaling and punching them will keep them away most of the time. If they do get you, staying in shallow water will prevent drowning. This makes harvesting sacks and glands pretty easy.

Squid not flinging you around in shallow water may be an oversight, as I find being dragged to deeper water and drowning is the biggest threat they pose.
Lenburg1

Post by Lenburg1 »

Sandrew wrote:Squid not flinging you around in shallow water may be an oversight
Well they definitely will swing you around if you let them but they have a harder time doing so when in shallow water.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I have a squid trap on the shore of my seaside base.

Test build image. Our beaches are different.
Show
It works well for farming squids in general, and any errant facehuggers that chase me while I'm working on the beach are easily led into the trap for easy disposal.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I like to dig tunnels under the rivers I need to cross. Sometimes I add glass with a torch underneath to backlight squid from the river bed and then snipe them out of the water
Better is the enemy of Good
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Lenburg1 wrote:
Sandrew wrote:Squid not flinging you around in shallow water may be an oversight
Well they definitely will swing you around if you let them but they have a harder time doing so when in shallow water.
They won't though. They only pull you in if you're on dry land or in a boat. If you are in the water they will just swim up to you and attach to your face. You can test this, if you were to position yourself in a pond adjacent to a body of water (or simply cordon off an area) they will not be able to get to you, or pull you towards them.

Maybe this was changed with the most recent version, as I still haven't updated, in which case I will apologize for my ignorance.
BobSlingblade679

Wow, Sandrew. If that's the case, then maybe the best course of action is to just jump in and fight them. They don't deal much damage. Most of their threat is weighing you down.

Will they not pull you even if you're head is above the water? Or do you have to be submerged?
mc_isaac

Post by mc_isaac »

Squid spoiler ahead
Spoiler
Show
Squid will not attach to your face in 1 deep water if you don't attack them. They just swim up to your legs and do nothing...As soon as you attack though they will latch onto your head. Both you and the squid need to be in the 1 deep water
edited for clarification.
BobSlingblade679

Yeah, I confirmed that squid will not use their pull if you're in water, one block or more. I chugged some night vision and dove into the river. One stack of ink sacs later, I never got pulled.

I didn't test isaac's thing though. That sounds like a bug.
Lenburg1

Post by Lenburg1 »

I don't think it is a bug nor does it break the immersion. The way I see it the squids don't bother wasting there energy swinging you around if they can already reach you by just swimming up to you.
edit
Just reread what Isaac wrote and that does sound weird I'm going to have to test that.