Resource and animal spawn rules

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

Resource and animal spawn rules

Post by MisterFister »

I'm just curious what the wolf spawn rules are. As you can imagine, this is a search string that generates essentially nothing but false positives.

Are wolves biome specific? Can they respawn in an area? I know that pigs are favored to spawn in EHills and swamps, I know sheep are favored to spawn in Mesas and RHills, and that cows and chickens tend to be even by my estimate. I also know that brown mushrooms only spawn in dark strata, reeds by water, pumpkins in RHills, and melon seeds in mineshafts. Similar for mobs.

Are wolves treated, for spawn-rule purposes, as mobs, because of the early-game threat they pose?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Gilberreke

Re: Resource and animal spawn rules

Post by Gilberreke »

Biome specific to forest type biomes, don't respawn.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Just to clarify a couple things with what you had listed before, chickens and pigs spawn everywhere, and cows and sheep spawn everywhere except jungles (although nothing spawns in oceans i.e. on islands). Afaik there are no other differences. And no, wolves spawn the same as passive mobs as for requirements.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Cows or sheep don't spawn in Swamps anymore, just Pigs and chickens. I know this wasn't the topic of the thread but I just wanted to clarify that :)
Gilberreke wrote:Biome specific to forest type biomes, don't respawn.
This is what you're looking for. Taiga Snow Forests and Oak/Birch Forests. That's where you'll find wolves. Not always though
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Thanks folks!

So, I think what I'll do is hope for one or two free pieces of dung from the wild, just enough to make my first saw blade (once I get past my caving problem and find redstone enough to make a few gearboxes, or hell even one.) My idea is to make a wolf cage based on hopper floors, removing any need for me to physically climb in through a whole and an unfed wolf could use to escape if I'm caught caving with no time reference.

In fact, I'll peruse the boards about ideas for wolf farming, and once I get to that point I may post a new thread asking about it.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.