Water terraforming? (Aquaforming?)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
MisterFister

Water terraforming? (Aquaforming?)

Post by MisterFister »

My OS base is in a swamp lagoon, and I've made a shit ton of progress on an underground base, including farm, while scratching the surface on intended topside terraforming. My food supply is on the brink of being sustainable, as is my wood and sawdust. Once they are, I'll be able to justify a few serious cave-dives and I think I might even venture out to locate a village before visiting the nether for the first time.

My farm placement started as a choice of desperation to avoid slimes that, before managing to torch off the surface for a fairly decent radius, caused the shlorp-shlorp sounds to be so constant and so LOUD (even during the day I never counted fewer than five or six and most of my efforts on wood runs were in navigating to remain outside of their perception radiuses while coming back from the nearby mesa biome) that I couldn't play the game at normal volume. With torches, finally, I can hear the chickens clucking, which I used to hate but dear-sweet-FC they're music to my ears, now that I can actually HEAR them.

Anyway, I converted the lagoon floor into a glass ceiling for my hemp. And I incorrectly placed a block and accidentally destroyed a single solitary source block of water that I can't get to re-flood back. Attempting other fixes just made it worse. To be extremely clear, this is an aesthetic problem only. Looking up from below (I intentionally designed my irrigation channels to run east-west to make it easier to see the sky from inside to check the time of day) the edges of the water ceiling created this absolutely gorgeous iridescent effect, where the water-source-blocks met the glass blocks. Now, with the handful of other source blocks destroyed, it creates lateral sheen instead of vertical, in only one part of my ceiling, and I'd planned to make it expandable. With the symmetry screwed up, it's really bothering me.

One option is to restart the seed all over again, but that's an insanely unfortunate possibility considering the headway I've made (I love the early game like most people, but unlike some on these threads I have more fun with mid-game tech instead) and simply remember not to make the same damn mistake -- and really, who hasn't misclicked just once when placing a block? I could very easily have another misclick in the future, too.

So, I can use NBTE like anyone else with google ever could, but that utility seems to be more keen to resetting OS coordinates, and moving entire chunks around. Truly, a bazooka to swat a fly. My other possibility is to better understand the water spawning physics so that I can reflood it in-game. I imagine that when you're talking about a certain depth, it can re-flood, as I've gone around harvesting sand from shorelines and I've seen new source-blocks form that way. I've ALSO seen examples where an entire vertical column is composed of water source blocks, such that vertically "tunneling" down into the water is possible with enough patience and supplies to build a pipe from the top down, from inside it, with light to avoid gloom, squid-proofing as you go, with a definite plan on how to get back into an air pocket quickly if shit goes to hell.

I see several likely / possible problems. First, the exact source block in question was originally a single-block-deep shallow lagoon, to begin with. So, if there were a possibility of re-flooding it from underneath, or with enough whatever-plays-the-role-of-hydrostatic pressure, would be a significant project. Second, and not insignificantly, It's currently the roof of my very necessary farm. Obviously, I can create a temporary farm at a different spot for the duration of the project and merely rebuild it the way I want to once the water is re-flooded, but again, that's a helluva time investment (to say nothing of in-game risk of death, or in-game investment of resources) on something that I'm not even sure could work as a sheer matter of game mechanics.)

So, I'm admitting up front that this is some pretty anal retentive shit I'm worried about here, but the game mechanic question itself is legitimate -- how would someone intentionally "aquaform"? If there's a way to do this in-game, without using hacks, I'd vastly prefer that. However, considering the inconsequential aesthetics, I nevertheless recognize that manually editing a savefile for individual specific blocks might be ok for my own priorities of gameplay (I'd rationalize it by framing the fact that the original problem was legitimately a misclick with an old gaming mouse that legit should prolly be either replaced or taken apart and cleaned -- the right-click button stuck for longer than I'd actually intended to, and it's happened before with this mouse, just to no such OCD-gamebreaking potential.)
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
MisterFister

Re: Water terraforming? (Aquaforming?)

Post by MisterFister »

Follow-up thought: Another possibility is to switch to creative mode just to experiment and learn about the water physics, but honestly I've never PLAYED creative mode (or any other MC mod, or any vMC at all, in fact) so I'm not entirely sure how that would work. Like, I've accidentally loaded into creative mode and I have no friggin clue how to choose blocks, how to trust physics without zombies running after me, or how to interpret game physics when tapping a block with my bare fist "destroys" it instead of mining it and causing it to drop. In any event, anything I discover has to be replicable in survival mode, or I won't want to use it.

That said, I could imagine some version of reiterated experiments where I change one variable at a time by backing up my savefile in a separate folder on my computer, and revert back to it between experiment runs (saving significant checkpoints in the prep work, of course) such as whether I chip away at a solid chuck of land from within the water. In fact, for this method I'd prolly hollow it out first just to repack it with various materials, not only to ensure that there are no cave pockets possibly interfering with my results. I'd experiment with different materials first, then within each material I'd experiment with the removal pattern. Doing it this way, I imagine I could come at it from a safe tunnel underneath, or possibly top-down.

The other category of approaches I can think of is to hollow it out to begin with and remove the sidewall from the inside. You know something? I'd even empty my loot into a chest before I attempt it, because I would totally be willing to experiment like this in survival mode, even block-by-block if necessary (possibly returning via redstone compass each time) if I could get some form of reliable data suggesting that it's even *possible* that I'd end up with the actual-exact result I'm hoping for.

From what I can tell about how Minecraft in general, and this mod in particular, each individually attempts to model or simulate real world physics, if my ideas WOULD work at all, I imagine that I'd have to introduce a lot of lateral surface area from a flooding water column -- which means to say that my ideal build at this point is essentially in the middle of a deep ocean, except that I lucked out for a swamp biome location (right next to a jungle, in fact) such that if I build it correctly, I can get an auto-sorting mob farm to generate slimes, witches, *and* jungle spiders all at once, once I've strip mined underneath and torched off all the underground caves. The native caves also spawn a bounty of bats as well, such that each cave I shovel-explore not only nets me about two stacks of torches but also about four stacks of bat wings, which for the moment are baiting my fishhook to help me stretch my food supply while I build up enough of a chicken flock that I can afford to have a second coop dedicated to ones I kill for meat.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Watch some Youtube videos on how Minecraft water works, reflooding is usually possible.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Gilberreke wrote:Watch some Youtube videos on how Minecraft water works, reflooding is usually possible.
I agree that it's possible, I've accidentally done it. The issue is that so far, it seems random as to when it re-floods and when it instead cascades horizontally.

I'll experiment in a backed up save. :-/
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:Watch some Youtube videos on how Minecraft water works
MisterFister wrote:Follow-up thought: Another possibility is to switch to creative mode just to experiment and learn about the water physics, but honestly I've never PLAYED creative mode (or any other MC mod, or any vMC at all, in fact) so I'm not entirely sure how that would work. - snippy - In any event, anything I discover has to be replicable in survival mode, or I won't want to use it.
I just made this video on the basics of Minecraft water mechanics and try to answer your question nearer to the end. It should be live in ~2 hours of posting this.. I should really get to bed ;)
https://youtu.be/WZY6PADc25w
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

magikeh wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:Watch some Youtube videos on how Minecraft water works
MisterFister wrote:Follow-up thought: Another possibility is to switch to creative mode just to experiment and learn about the water physics, but honestly I've never PLAYED creative mode (or any other MC mod, or any vMC at all, in fact) so I'm not entirely sure how that would work. - snippy - In any event, anything I discover has to be replicable in survival mode, or I won't want to use it.
I just made this video on the basics of Minecraft water mechanics and try to answer your question nearer to the end. It should be live in ~2 hours of posting this.. I should really get to bed ;)
https://youtu.be/WZY6PADc25w

Bruh, two thumbs up. I posted a comment below the vid -- nothing "soon," but at some point expect a response video. :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Just to be clear. Minecraft fluid behavior is totally deterministic and in no way random. The rules are kinda wierd but once you know them the behavior is totally predictable. Pro tip: understand water before experimenting with lava. ;)
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

Sarudak wrote:Pro tip: understand water before experimenting with lava. ;)
Baha! I hadn't considered this, but for serious, I imagine that some documented efforts can be hilarious.