Your worst BTW starts

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
HighMongrel

Your worst BTW starts

Post by HighMongrel »

After a long break I just started playing BTW again but since my old worlds were all pretty developed I decided to go at it again from the beginning. In turn I was greeted with the worst string of poor spawn luck I've ever had.

-I started underwater deep enough to have the gloom status effect

-Upon surfacing I find that I'm in the middle of the ocean with only one small 4 block tree on a small island in sight

-First respawn after death by squid while looking for more land/wood put me back on the small island I started near

-2nd respawn put me in a jungle and after I died a couple of times to jungle spiders I spawned on a beach with only jungle in sight

-I manage to skirt the edge of the jungle to get enough wood to build my first two wood pickaxes when I get killed by a skeleton setting off a death spiral until my next hardcore respawn

-Get a decent spawn, go for a pretty standard start, end up falling into a sinkhole while hunting on the beach

-I escape and head back to my little stone cave to start digging out enough stone for a furnace but while digging I found out it was a new moon and I couldn't find my craft bench, so I end up death spiraling until I spawn on top of a tree with only a bit left of night

Luckily, I managed to hold of my death enough that my items didn't despawn once morning came and I made my way back. Now I'm in a decent enough spot with a bonus of finding some exploded animal meat and incredibly weakened cows to take advantage of. I just have to make sure I deal with the wolves nearby appropriately. I'm somewhat dreading trying to get back to spawn eventually though.

Anyone else have any stories of particularly bad starts and what you tried/failed to deal with them?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Your worst BTW starts

Post by FlowerChild »

I do believe that this is the first time I'll recommend trying another seed :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

The big issue with Hardcore Spawn is oceans in HCS range. If a large part of the HCS range is ocean, which is quite common, HCS doesn't quite work as it should. Sometimes you get horrible experiences like you had, where you keep spawning on small islands, but usually, what ends up happening is the respawns all being in more or less the same few places.

Due to the nature of terrain gen in MC, I don't think there's a lot to be done about it.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
HighMongrel

Post by HighMongrel »

I'm mostly fine now, but if ocean spawns do break HCS that much I'll probably will just get another seed. Doesn't feel right to play BTW if HCS is just going to put me in the same few places when I inevitably screw up.