Hardcore Spawn Difficulty

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Spawn Difficulty

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:The reason I said that was because he's dying a lot, telling him there's lots of iron to be gained in surface caves is madness imo. Especially since my post was aimed at the very lowest entry point. Maybe gaga654 is above that level and can assess that for himself.
Well, one think to maybe keep in mind is that time is a killer in BTW (admittedly mitigated by your focus on sustainable food on a new spawn), as is being under-equipped.

Like, I've mentioned it before, but I have a personal rule whereby I don't go bottom strata/diamond hunting unless I have a sword and a full set of cloth/leather armor. If I wasn't superficially exploring surface level caves while hunting and otherwise wandering about, and getting a fair amount of iron from doing so, would I feel compelled to go deeper than I was prepared for? Probably.

And ultimately, you're going to need the same skills to survive in bottom level caves as you do in the surface ones, probably at a slightly higher level due to the inability to modify the environment as easily down there.

So, I'm not sure if postponing the development of those skills until a player is in a higher risk environment and has much more to lose (due to the time invested in that spawn getting down there) really accomplishes anything positive for them.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, fair enough. What I wrote isn't the bible, just how I like to do things. I stick to my point though that it's important to realize that trying to find a surface level cave that leads to bottom strata is not a good strategy.

The reason I go for early diamonds, is that diamonds (beyond the first three) are just way safer and easier to get than iron. The moment I hit three diamonds I start branch mining for more diamonds, it's very rare that a diamond pick won't pay for itself immediately through branch mining. Branch mining is so much safer than caving, I just don't bother with it, especially with renewable iron getting a hit.

So yeah, strategic speedrun to diamonds, never look back. As for iron, I just look for a mineshaft, the moment I hit crucible tech. If you methodically dismantle a mineshaft, not go adventuring through it, it's almost entirely safe and easy. I cut down every piece of wood, light up every inch, close off every branch that's a dead end until I've closed off the entire shaft. That usually nets me a double chest of wood, a dozen stacks of iron ingots and some other goodies (hopefully gold).

Also, in terms of food running out, I simply don't feel that pressure very often. Hunting trips can usually sustain me easily until I get enough iron to start farming. If the worst thing happens, I can still fish infinitely while I keep exploring. There's never a real timer on what you can do if you know how the game works.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:I stick to my point though that it's important to realize that trying to find a surface level cave that leads to bottom strata is not a good strategy.
I certainly agree with that part.