Swamp Mobtrap - Item Sorting

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ethinolicbob

Swamp Mobtrap - Item Sorting

Post by Ethinolicbob »

I have started filtering the drops from a swamp mobfarm however with the additional drops provided in a swamp I am unable to filter out some of the items that I wanted to set up some automated processing for.

Specifically Bone from Shafts and Glass Bottles from Rotten Flesh

Anyone have any tips?
dawnraider

Re: Swamp Mobtrap - Item Sorting

Post by dawnraider »

I'm also having the same problem. Witch warts I also can't filter from creeper oysters either. I have tried using bellows, but they all seem to have the same weight , buoyancy may be an option though (I haven't tried that).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

dawnraider wrote:I'm also having the same problem. Witch warts I also can't filter from creeper oysters either. I have tried using bellows, but they all seem to have the same weight , buoyancy may be an option though (I haven't tried that).
Yeah I cant filter those either. Both have same buoyancy.
All up the items I haven't been able to filter via buoyancy, hopper filter and bellows are:
Slimeballs from Spider Eyes
Bat Wings from Scrolls
Creeper Oysters from Witchwart
Bones from Shafts
Glass Bottles from Rotten Flesh

The main ones I am interested is the rotten flash and bones as I want to automate kibble production so I can have a neglect proof way to keep my wolves alive :D

What I might end up doing is having a few un-powered hoppers before I send off rotten flesh and bones, filled up with stacks of 1 shafts and glass bottles and periodically empty them out
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

processed material sorting
Show
You could rig something with a millstone and block dispenser to separate bone [as bonemeal] from shafts.
Also play around and see if you can split kibble from flesh ;)
The creeper oysters/warts and slimeballs/eyes ect- how many do you really need?
A few chests of each pair gives a refilling stock of far more than I could ever use.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
ion

Post by ion »

try to sort mobs before killing them, then do the sorting of the items
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

EtherealWrath wrote:You could rig something with a millstone and block dispenser to separate bone [as bonemeal] from shafts
Not at SFS yet
EtherealWrath wrote:The creeper oysters/warts and slimeballs/eyes ect- how many do you really need
Which is why I specified rotten flesh and bones
ion wrote:try to sort mobs before killing them
Thought of that, and that would solve rotten flesh and glass bottles part of the problem.
Is there a way to separate skeletons from witches?
Have you got any references for a mob sorting system? I attempted one but the only one that I could easily do was spiders because of their climbing
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I've been able to sort out zombies and spiders by using animals as bait. Theoretically you could use cats to separate creepers, though I haven't tried that. I'm not sure how to separate skeletons from witches though. Maybe use fall damage to kill the other mobs, then move witches elsewhere to a saw setup (witches have more hp than other mobs, unless BTW changed that)
Get the Deco Addon here!
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Haven't done this myself, but I think in theory you can use wolves to sort skeletons from witches - I believe skeletons flee from wolves. Saw that mentioned somewhere, at least. Don't quote me on it until you test it yourself. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Skeletons don't take damage from cactus, maybe you could exploit that somehow. I saw it mentioned somewhere on the forums that skeletons run away from wolves but I've never personally confirmed it and also it probably wouldn't help much unless you planned feeding your kibble production back into feeding those wolves

Edit: Ninja'd on wolf info.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Afaik the skeletons fleeing is a post 1.5 vanilla change, so not in BTW, though I may be wrong.
Get the Deco Addon here!
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

You can also just destroy the sticks by putting the bones and sticks in a crucible. Crucibles will delete the sticks, but not the bones. Wood is usually not that valuable, anyway, and plus you already get sticks from bows.

Also, if you haven't already built your mob trap, you can build it above sea level to prevent it from spawning bats, and build a specialized farm for them with its own storage.

Also, theoretically slimes can be sorted from everything else by reducing them to a 1x1 size, which no other mob can fit through. It might be difficult to guarentee that they don't die in places they're not supposed to, though. (technically, they now fit through 0.5x0.5 spaces, but 1x1 should be sufficient for sorting)

Finally, as I believe was stated earlier, you can always sort the flesh from bottles by converting it into kibble first. You'd have to also set it up to filter out sugar and bonemeal, though, which if you filter those two from the kibble you can of course just delete them, since the loss shouldn't be too significant. I don't know if it's possible to separate sugar from bonemeal for feeding it back into the system.
Psion

Post by Psion »

you can also filter witches from other mobs by dropping them to say, a half heart or whatever, then having them flow to another drop that would easily finish most mobs off (say a 10 block fall or something.) let there be a delay between the two drops, so the witches have time to use health/regen potions to heal up and survive the second fall, and cart them off elsewhere with water for further grinding while filtering the other drops.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Psion wrote:you can also filter witches from other mobs by dropping them to say, a half heart or whatever, then having them flow to another drop that would easily finish most mobs off (say a 10 block fall or something.) let there be a delay between the two drops, so the witches have time to use health/regen potions to heal up and survive the second fall, and cart them off elsewhere with water for further grinding while filtering the other drops.
Witches have more HP (26) than other mobs, so you could kill the other mobs on a fall trap first, then have a side corridor to another kill mechanism for witches. That would save having to do a 2nd fall trap.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Cheers guys!
For the time being I had put in a soft-sorting system with hoppers full with 1 of a stack of each of the things I didn't want to go into automated processing.
Later on I will separate spiders with a wall climb+chickens and witches with a fall that kills everything else I should be good to retrofit the drops back onto the kibble factory :D

Not much I can do about the bat wings as I am not going to redo the trap above ground level but there is nothing that I need automated from those drops anyway
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Ethinolicbob wrote:Not much I can do about the bat wings as I am not going to redo the trap above ground level but there is nothing that I need automated from those drops anyway
Errrrr. I'll buy those bat wings off you, I need them for Librarian trading!
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Mesh wrote:Errrrr. I'll buy those bat wings off you, I need them for Librarian trading!
Yeah that's likely where they will be going.
I mean there is nothing that I need to automate that requires automatic separation of bat wings from scrolls like I have needed for Bones & Shafts to send bones to grinding etc.