Which is better Large Biomes or Regular Biomes?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DukeCunning

Which is better Large Biomes or Regular Biomes?

Post by DukeCunning »

Hello all. Playing BTW again after a LONG break. (Haven't played ANYTHING else, really. I am very lazy, but I do LOVE BTW.)

I want to start a new world and I am curious which one I should choose. I tried searching for "Large Biome" in the Discussion section and I did find some info -- VERY little which didn't help to answer my question. But, the game has changed a little and, hopefully, it won't hurt to ask this question, again.

I had started a Large Biome world a year or so ago when I thought that would increase the chance for Villages; but, I am thinking that it is not really necessary. The downside to Large Biomes is the vast distances of the biomes, etc. I am playing single-player.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.
CrimsonStorm

Re: Which is better Large Biomes or Regular Biomes?

Post by CrimsonStorm »

FC can correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression is that BTW is designed and balanced to be played on Regular Biomes. Each biome presents its own benefits and downsides, so large biomes might make a player's life too hard (or easy, but I think an increase in difficulty is more likely) if you get stuck in a desert or something and have a hard time finding trees, for example.
DukeCunning

Post by DukeCunning »

GREAT Answer. Thanks!

That is what I kinda got out of reading previous posts on the subject.

He mentioned something about not playing on Large Biomes, etc.

Thanks again.
GreenComet

Post by GreenComet »

I used to like large biomes better. I think Flowerchild has said* that he doesn't like large biomes because:
1) Minecraft's worldgen is one of its greatest strengths. Spreading the variety over a larger area is more "realistic", but it also makes the world boring.
2) Large biomes used to make it easier to find villages.

There are a couple of reasons not to play BTW with large biomes:
1) FC doesn't "support" it: if he makes a hardcore change in the next version that ruins your day, tough.
2) Pumpkins and reeds are biome-specific (as are cocoa, temples, witch warts, venom sacks, and wolves to a lesser extent). You really want pumpkins early game, and you'll have trouble progressing without some of the others. Tracking them down will be harder with large biomes.
3) According to http://sargunster.com/btwforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7701 , the hardcore spawn radius and village spawn distance might be multiplied by 4 in large biomes to make it harder to find villages again. (I'm not sure if it actually went into the game or not.)

* I can't find the source for the first one right now.