Windmill question

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DinoDikslam

Windmill question

Post by DinoDikslam »

Will my gearboxes break over time if i keep my windmill going my friend told me that they will and i put a lever on the top gear box like he said but was just wondering if they will break later? (im in the desert)
Taleric

Re: Windmill question

Post by Taleric »

Spoiler
Show
I am guessing that storm winds are breaking your windmill. During a storm the wind will blow hard enough to snap the gearbox. In the desert it is more difficult to spot when there is a storm. I would advise keeping your first gear box shut off except when needed.

This is a just a guess.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Taleric, that's really not a spoiler anymore :p

Gearboxes do not break if your windmill is in a desert. If your windmill is not in a desert, the closest gearbox to the windmill will break during a storm.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Samorost

Post by Samorost »

DinoDikslam wrote:Will my gearboxes break over time if i keep my windmill going my friend told me that they will and i put a lever on the top gear box like he said but was just wondering if they will break later? (im in the desert)
Use Detector Block on first gear box. During storm Detector Block detect rain and switch gear box off. You can have it in all biomes and it is never break again.
Spoiler
Show
Czech Republic :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Samorost: the trouble with the detector block method is that it requires you to reach anvil tech. It's a great solution, of course, but I just don't know that it's the right one.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Samorost

Post by Samorost »

Then the good solution is build wind mill in desert like Gilberreke said.But the best solution from my point of view is build a saw and make a water mill.
Czech Republic :)
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Build a water wheel as quickly as you can, but as that requires blaze rods, it might b a while. use a lever and turn off the gear box closest to your windmill when you are not using it and do not use it if it is raining to stay safe(only a storm will cause problems)
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

You're in the desert so your gearboxes will never break, this is one of the advantages of building in the desert. You can safely use windmills to power everything, even during a storm.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Taleric, that's really not a spoiler anymore :p
I think you just spoiled that it wasn't a spoiler, thus ruining the fun.
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

As it is now Gearboxes only break during Storms, and Storms only occur during rain or snow, so I manually shut my windmill down when it starts raining to avoid having to dash outside when I hear a storm starting.

You're in the desert so it's a nonissue now, but it might be useful to know in the future.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Rather than just when it starts raining, I shut it off whenever I'm not using it so if, say, I'm mining, I don't have to go up to switch it (or if I don't notice).
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:I think you just spoiled that it wasn't a spoiler, thus ruining the fun.
You spoiled my ruining of the fun, by indicating that I spoiled that it wasn't a spoiler?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: You spoiled my ruining of the fun, by indicating that I spoiled that it wasn't a spoiler?
See, now you're just pissing all over the fourth wall.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:See, now you're just pissing all over the fourth wall.
Life ain't worth living, when there's no more walls to piss over. I think that was the whole point of that one scene in Game of Thrones.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

So...slight tangent, but has anyone tried using that grass block daylight detector method to sense storms? I know it requires a BUD, but if I remember correctly its possible to make pre-anvil using some ingenuity and a boat
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?