What to do next

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jstu9

What to do next

Post by jstu9 »

I am trying to figure out what would be the best things to prioritize next. I have been floating around doing a few things over the past few days without really knowing what really needs to get done.

I have plenty of food for now. I have a small vine trap mob farm (which I will likely expand). One water wheel powering the saw for that. Another powering everything else (mill, saw, crucible, cauldron, kiln etc). I live in an abandoned village about 100 blocks from original spawn, and have connected some of the buildings together. I have a cobblestone fence around it. So pretty safe except for the slimes that like to hump my base. Have chickens over a hopper and I drop seeds next to them every now and then. Pigs and Cows in pens that are just rooms.

I have explored and marked most of HC Spawn area. I have found 3 villages (2 have priests, 1 has a librarian, with some of the other professions as well), have 3 enchanted tables, 1 brewing stand (though I have seen about 3 other witch huts). Have not ventured into a jungle yet. Have ~60 iron ingots, ~45 gold ingots (which I mainly got from desert temples) and ~20 diamonds. I have iron armor dropped by a zombie and could make most of the diamond armor but I don't make or wear them for fear of losing it by death.

That's probably more than you want to know but just wanted to show where I was.

I started doing the villager trading but it seems to be a late game thing to do and I'm not there yet. I think the next big thing I need to do is kill the wither. But if I stick my head out in the nether fortress I found, 5 ghasts shoot fireballs at me, so it is hard to do anything there. I thought about making a wall of cement around the nether fortress and I started doing that but it will require alot of resources and I'm not entirely sure it will do what I want it to do. I thought about planting a bloodwood tree but doesn't that just piss off the zombie pigmen?

I was thinking of coming up with some simple dung production farm. But I don't think dung is super important now. Maybe a tree farm but not sure how I could do that pre-End. I could improve the looks of my base but I'm not much of an aesthetics guy. Expand the vine trap farm maybe.

Any thoughts or advice?
Mason11987

Re: What to do next

Post by Mason11987 »

jstu9 wrote:I am trying to figure out what would be the best things to prioritize next. I have been floating around doing a few things over the past few days without really knowing what really needs to get done.

I have plenty of food for now. I have a small vine trap mob farm (which I will likely expand). One water wheel powering the saw for that. Another powering everything else (mill, saw, crucible, cauldron, kiln etc). I live in an abandoned village about 100 blocks from original spawn, and have connected some of the buildings together. I have a cobblestone fence around it. So pretty safe except for the slimes that like to hump my base. Have chickens over a hopper and I drop seeds next to them every now and then. Pigs and Cows in pens that are just rooms.

I have explored and marked most of HC Spawn area. I have found 3 villages (2 have priests, 1 has a librarian, with some of the other professions as well), have 3 enchanted tables, 1 brewing stand (though I have seen about 3 other witch huts). Have not ventured into a jungle yet. Have ~60 iron ingots, ~45 gold ingots (which I mainly got from desert temples) and ~20 diamonds. I have iron armor dropped by a zombie and could make most of the diamond armor but I don't make or wear them for fear of losing it by death.

That's probably more than you want to know but just wanted to show where I was.

I started doing the villager trading but it seems to be a late game thing to do and I'm not there yet. I think the next big thing I need to do is kill the wither. But if I stick my head out in the nether fortress I found, 5 ghasts shoot fireballs at me, so it is hard to do anything there. I thought about making a wall of cement around the nether fortress and I started doing that but it will require alot of resources and I'm not entirely sure it will do what I want it to do. I thought about planting a bloodwood tree but doesn't that just piss off the zombie pigmen?

I was thinking of coming up with some simple dung production farm. But I don't think dung is super important now. Maybe a tree farm but not sure how I could do that pre-End. I could improve the looks of my base but I'm not much of an aesthetics guy. Expand the vine trap farm maybe.

Any thoughts or advice?

I recommend tunneling a lot more in the nether to protect yourself from pigman and ghasts, but your next target should be withers, and you might want to pursue a fortress that is less open to ghasts so you get get those skulls to fight the wither.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I'd recommend you start building a nethermob trap and preparing to either fight the wither or the dragon. You could also start to work in automating certain things, like food and animal byproducts production, pottery and kiln(although that would be clunky as heck without a BD), building some roads.

you could also start cleaning up the nether, sniping all pigmen you can, making them unable to spawn in your tunnels and making some more tunnels.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

I think your bloodwood tree idea makes a lot of sense. Alternatively, since you have a village, you could always go for the Groth! And although either way you'll have to be careful about placing them down near pigmen, that's really not so hard.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Speaking from personal experience, bloodwoods are a fantastic way of dealing with ghasts. Because they grow indefinitely, they will eventually block off all line of sight with ghasts (and somewhat limit their spawning). They do piss off pigmen, so be wary when planting, but that isn't too big of a deal as long as you are prepared.

For the most part, the next step is teching up to trade with the priest to get to the end. What you need to do is farm up a shit load of chickens to make arrows, then take on the nether fortress for skulls (Make sure to make a composite bow, it helps a lot in long distance aiming). I find one thing that really helps is placing occasional bars two blocks above the ground to block wither skeletons, but not yourself. In long passages it is also helpful to create small walls that you can duck around in case of blazes. Also, potions are a must. Fire resist for sure, and health and regen if you can get them. Invisibility can be really nice to decrease mob's spotting range, though those are tough to get since they need jungle spider drops.

In order to get health potions, I set up a small squid farm by hollowing out a small area under a pond, all of it flowing down, then dropping the squids and pushing them to saws. Because it is in the middle of a forest, even with a 7x7x6 spawn area I get ungodly amounts of squid (for example, I have 15 respiration scrolls, but only about 2-3 of the main 4 from my mob farm). For regen, I just make large amounts of soul urns and chuck them at a wall in a contained area, then kill the ghasts manually.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

jstu9 wrote: I have iron armor dropped by a zombie and could make most of the diamond armor but I don't make or wear them for fear of losing it by death.
Honestly I wouldn't worry about this so much. Enchanted diamond armour makes you a tank. Before Improved Gloom I used to roam around exploring in the dark without fear of death.

About this time I like to start working on getting a nether mob-farm set-up on a fortress for gold and wither skulls
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

Thanks for the replies!

Sounds like the consensus is some form of wither skeleton farm. I did find a 2nd fortress, the first one was to the west, this one was to the east. This one seems a bit less open though still more open than I'd like!

I'm assuming I want to slab over as much of it as I can. I started doing that, made all of my cobble into slabs.... and promptly touched some lava and burned to death. Only in BTW am I more pissed at losing cobblestone than I was all my iron tools. :)

I'm assuming I will slab as much of it as I can, cement as much of the netherrack surrounding the place as i can, then plant a bloodwood tree somewhere in the middle of it. Not sure how the pigmen will react. I hope that gives me more time to plan what I'm going to do to turn it into a farm..... though I'm not entirely sure *how* to make a farm out of them.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

Be carefull with cement in the nether. Ghasts can spawn on any block type and limiting avery spawn but ghasts can get a bit out of controll. I would seriously consider using groth instead.
Wibbles

Post by Wibbles »

If you're going for a wither farm... (and it's spoilered in case you want to work it out yourself)
Spoiler
Show
you may find jungle temples feature certain useful, otherwise unobtainable (at this level of progress) blocks that will help you collect their heads. Just saying, since you mention you've not explored a jungle yet.
Oh and re: groth.
"Ghasts Hate It! See How This One Miraculous Nether Region Infection Gave Steve Peace And Quiet From His Neighbours! First You'll Be Shocked, Then You'll Be Inspired!"
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

jstu9 wrote:I'm assuming I will slab as much of it as I can, cement as much of the netherrack surrounding the place as i can, then plant a bloodwood tree somewhere in the middle of it. Not sure how the pigmen will react. I hope that gives me more time to plan what I'm going to do to turn it into a farm..... though I'm not entirely sure *how* to make a farm out of them.
Personally I think it is better to make a large ring of blood wood rather than a central one, as that will give you space within the trees (until they grow into it, but that takes a while) to do stuff while still blocking line of sight.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

I can also attest from experience that using cement in large areas in the nether is a very bad idea. Groth is for the open nether, cement is for inside nether forts.

If you really insist on using cement, though, you can place down a grid of slabs to prevent ghast spawns, though I would imagine this to be rather tedious...

Additionally, if you plan on using bloodwoods, it's useful to keep in mind that the leaves do drop a net positive of saplings even if harvested immediately and they are a great, fast-growing source of pulpwood, so I'd recommend making a largish containment room (with some precautions to prevent ghast spawns) within which they can be planted and harvested easily.
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

Ok, been thinking about this overnight. Seems like this is what I need to do.

a) nether groth
b) slab the fortress
c) plant bloodwood saplings

Then I can think of 4 ways to go about getting wither skeleton skulls. I thought through it awhile and then looked around yt to see if anybod had some good wither skelly farms.... but the ones I found generally got them the first time through just hunting and killing them.

1) I can kinda picture having some farm that includes pistons that would push the wither skels down and eventually into a saw. I could see this being very expensive (probably more expensive than i can afford right now), would take a long time. It feels like an endgame thing to do. Or is there an easier way?
2) Vine trap. fall trap. Just have them fall, with hoppers at the bottom to collect the stuff. I assume they drop skulls with fall damage and I assume nether fortresses are tall enought to do this but not sure on either count.
3) Run around killing them with the sword. Cheap, probably deadly, somewhat time consuming but might actually take less time than the top 2. :P
4) I was thinking of building a couple 2 high hidey holes to lure the skellies to. And then have a couple of pistons that would push them into a saw. Not too expensive, but would require power.... and I'm not sure on the requirements on power in the nether yet.

So I'm pondering. I'm leaning towards 2 though I like the idea of 4.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

To help you along with figuring out how to get power in the nether in a way that isn't too apoilery (I assume you don't want things outright told to you), try thinking of what happens when air is hot.

Also, I definitely reccomend using cement for nether fortresses rather then slabs, things will go a LOT faster.

Also also, if you need gold, it might be worth exploring further afield.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

There actually is a benefit to paving over the nether with cement. I paved over an area so I could build a vine based gold farm and it works very well. The surface I have of course abandoned to the ghasts and I travel via tunnels. Cement can be a quick way to limit pigman spawns to where you want them pre groth.

On what to do next, I'd get your basic resources semi automated. Piston harvesting for hemp, reeds, pumpkins, melons etc based on a 5 minute item decay timer. For a fung farm you can do the same feeding based on an item decay timer but you'll need a steady supply of meat which means a steady supply of wheat. Wheat is all manual at this point so get a massive wheat farm up. Using planters makes it far easier to deal with than messing with water sources and trampled ground. I'd suggest getting an auto pottery and kiln setup going based on turntable timers. It's super useful to have. Getting some of this setup on timers lets you do other stuff while you passively collect resources. Also don't forget the cocoa bean farm needs to be huge. The farmers love cocoa beans.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

You guys seem to be forgetting that wither skeletons spawn differently from in vanilla. FC changed the spawn rules for fortresses at some time in the past IIRC. Youtube won't have the answer for you.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Gilberreke wrote:You guys seem to be forgetting that wither skeletons spawn differently from in vanilla. FC changed the spawn rules for fortresses at some time in the past IIRC. Youtube won't have the answer for you.
Spoiler
Show
Can you be a little more specific? I know that nether mobs no longer spawn on non-nether blocks, but from what I understand that's universal for all nether mobs that aren't a ghast, rather then specific to wither skeletons.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

abculatter_2 wrote:Can you be a little more specific? I know that nether mobs no longer spawn on non-nether blocks, but from what I understand that's universal for all nether mobs that aren't a ghast, rather then specific to wither skeletons.
In vanilla, wither skellies only spawn in crossroads or some such nonsense.

From the changelog:
Changed (loosened) the spawn restrictions for mobs within nether strongholds, which increases the number of wither skeletons, blazes, and magma cubes which will spawn within them significantly. They can now spawn anywhere within the volume of a nether stronghold, not just around "cross roads", which should be much more intuitive when creating mob traps, and also makes exploring them much more interesting. This change is the primary reason for this small release, as I know a lot of folks are currently working on their wither skeleton farms to build the various beacons in the mod, and with this change their spawn conditions are much more evident.
Changed skeletons and wither skeletons to be able to spawn in the nether regardless of light level, to match the other nether mobs. Without this they couldn't spawn near fire and lava, which obviously doesn't make much sense in the nether.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx