Cows quietly disappearing

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Kmand

Cows quietly disappearing

Post by Kmand »

Hello, I've recently returned to BTW and have been having a lot of fun.

However, I have a problem with cows. I used to have 5 cows in my completely sealed 7x7 cow pen (it even has an iron door) and now, once I came back from caving, I only have 3. I don't think this is due to mobs, as there are no leaks or unlit spots in the building and the door was shut.

Is this due Hardcore Hoofsies? But then, I read that cows don't kick other cows and there are no other animals in there.
Is it some mechanism to prevent putting too many cows in the same pen?
Is it a bug? If so, how do I avoid it?

(I am sorry, I'm sure that this has come up before, but I haven't been able to locate any threads about it.)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Cows quietly disappearing

Post by FlowerChild »

Spoiler
Show
Endercows.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Sometimes mobs glitch into walls and suffocate there. Surround your cows with transparent blocks (glass, fence etc) for that to not happen.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Before I can breed them, I keep animals in pens by themselves and never have a problem with those ones. It's the ones that share a pen which always eventually suffocate in the walls or just escape if the wall block is non-opaque. Presumably it has something to do with mob collision, but I've yet to observe it actually happen. I can reliably reproduce a similar result if a baby animal turns into an adult while it is pushing against a block (because it is trying to reach its parent).
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

That's most certainly the problem. what I do is make a 3 high wall, with the second block empty. That way they don't suffocate.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I usually put fences in front of a solid block, 3 high. Though now early game, with fences needing a saw, slabs or glass would work, too. The solid block behind the transparent one is to prevent the escaping you mentioned.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!