[spoilers] Mushroom farm designs

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gilberreke

[spoilers] Mushroom farm designs

Post by Gilberreke »

This is one of my designs so far:

It's got no places where mobs can spawn, but a bunch of spaces where mushrooms can spawn. In terms of how the code works, this design is pretty inefficient, I've got better designs in terms of where to place the seeds and how to make room.

Here's the gotchas for this design:

- Any mushroom you punch off needs to be collectible without breaking blocks
- Spawn places need to be one high, so no mobs spawn
- No 2x2 spawn places or spiders can spawn

Thoughts? Alternate designs?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Shiyokensha

Re: [spoilers] Mushroom farm designs

Post by Shiyokensha »

I think a big room with retractable roof will work well, I mean having LOTS of extended pistons, maintain them extended when mushrooms are growing, mobs can't spawn and mushrooms grow everywhere, and with a lever, retract them to have space to walk by the room and collect the mushrooms

edit

some pics about what I'm talking about, made them in creative because in my new world I'm still a hunter:
Spoiler
Show

Even a broken watch is useful, as it tells you the correct hour two times a day.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Gilberreke wrote:No 2x2 spawn places or spiders can spawn
AFAIK that's not how spider spawning works. they spawn on individual blocks like any mob but check to see if the surrounding blocks are clear in a 3x3 area, so that design will spawn spiders.

My old design should still work for mushrooms:
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Shiyokensha wrote:I think a big room with retractable roof will work well
Myeah, I don't think post-piston tech farms are the issue, the difficult ones are the pre-iron tech ones.
Ethinolicbob wrote:AFAIK that's not how spider spawning works. they spawn on individual blocks like any mob but check to see if the surrounding blocks are clear in a 3x3 area, so that design will spawn spiders.
Ah, didn't know that, gotcha. Well, you can adapt the configuration to however you like it of course to fix those issues. I have another configuration that by chance doesn't have that issue.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

I havent implemented yet, but my current plan is to have an area that is only one block high in most places that is goes down a layer every (6? 7?). the top of this area will have a water source which I can (manually at first) block off to let the shrooms grow, and unblock to have shrooms go to a collection area. "seed" mushrooms will obviously have to be placed so that they wont be washed away.

this way I never have to go into the growing area, and mobs mostly wont spawn anyways
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

The design I use for my automated farm (though, it would work with a bit of tweaking as a manual farm as well) is to have a long row with a cross section like this, where - is a full block, and . is empty space:

Code: Select all

-------
-..-..-
---.---
-..-..-
-------
The empty space in the center is actually meant to be full blocks as well, except every 4-5 blocks (Or whatever is the 'ideal' for this design, I haven't bothered to calculate it) in which a seed mushroom is planted. The four empty corners are where mushrooms will spawn, and in my automated set-up are flooded every so often using a piston floodgate and two nested turntables as a timer. This could also work quite easily pre-iron with manual flooding, though it would probably take quite a lot of set-up.

For a manual farm without water, you can tweak the design like this, where ^ represents a half-slab on the top half of a block, and v represents a half-slab on the bottom half:

.--.--.
v..v..v
.--.--.
^..^..^
.--.--.
v--v--v
This way is somewhat cheesy, however, as it relies on the odd vanilla behavior where half-slabs block light like they're full blocks.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

abculatter_2 wrote:The design I use for my automated farm (though, it would work with a bit of tweaking as a manual farm as well) is to have a long row with a cross section like this, where - is a full block, and . is empty space:
Spoiler
Show

-------
-..-..-
---.---
-..-..-
-------

Ah, the good old fashioned penta-pipe. I'd forgotten you could turn it on and off by hand though, that is something I'll have to keep in mind.
DinoDikslam

Post by DinoDikslam »

i think that if you gonna make a mushroom omelet it should give 3 shanks instead of 2 lol cooked omelet gives 2.5 idk just a suggestion
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DinoDikslam wrote:i think that if you gonna make a mushroom omelet it should give 3 shanks instead of 2 lol cooked omelet gives 2.5 idk just a suggestion
No suggestions outside of the appropriate subforum please. And no, there isn't a subforum for suggestions.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Just added a mushroom farm design to my redstoneless builds.
Redstoneless builds album on imgur

I'm looking for a timer circuit to help me automate the water flush. Have renewable iron, but no endstone yet, so no buddy/detector blocks.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DiamondArms wrote:Just added a mushroom farm design to my redstoneless builds.
Redstoneless builds album on imgur

I'm looking for a timer circuit to help me automate the water flush. Have renewable iron, but no endstone yet, so no buddy/detector blocks.
Is that farm completely pitch black? I don't get the pictures?
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Gilberreke wrote: Is that farm completely pitch black? I don't get the pictures?
Yeah this is normally under pitchblack encasing. unfortunately I can't show much of the actual testbuild farm due to it being casing on the outside.
The pictures show what the layer setup is and how the water flows down each layer.

basic idea: seed shroom spreads into either water channel when its dry and then gets washed out by water later.
still need a timer to automate it. best I have right now is 5min item decay timer.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

DiamondArms wrote: I'm looking for a timer circuit to help me automate the water flush. Have renewable iron, but no endstone yet, so no buddy/detector blocks.
Probably your best bet would be an item despawn timer. Otherwise, you could use a turntable nested in another turntable, but that would be somewhat expensive and is limited to 64 seconds max.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

DiamondArms wrote:Have renewable iron, but no endstone yet, so no buddy/detector blocks.
The general idea to lengthen timers is to chain clocks, even different types. PulsLimiters should be used to concatenate the clocks, ensuring nothing weird happens. And yeah, thats it. There is no IronTech clock better than itemClocks known to me -.-

In case you are not familliar with PulseLimiters:
PulsLimiters open the Spoiler and there it's the fifth design.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

hm. might try hooking up decay timer to a monostable>T flipflop. 5minutes of wash and 5minutes of dry.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

For a reliable 10 minute timer I set up n item decay to a T flip flop with a pulse limiter so it only pulses once every 10 minutes. It's only a repeater and a bit of redstone more expensive but it'll give you a lot more time to grow.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

dawnraider wrote:For a reliable 10 minute timer I set up n item decay to a T flip flop with a pulse limiter so it only pulses once every 10 minutes. It's only a repeater and a bit of redstone more expensive but it'll give you a lot more time to grow.
this works for short input harvesting like piston-based farming like hemp and cane, but I need prolonged water flow to wash out the mushrooms. 10 minutes on/off is doable with a 2nd T flop I suppose.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

You could set it up so that only one setup between the two flip flops turns on the water so you could get 15 on/5 off (i.e. only when both are on does it activate)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

DiamondArms wrote:
dawnraider wrote:For a reliable 10 minute timer I set up n item decay to a T flip flop with a pulse limiter so it only pulses once every 10 minutes. It's only a repeater and a bit of redstone more expensive but it'll give you a lot more time to grow.
this works for short input harvesting like piston-based farming like hemp and cane, but I need prolonged water flow to wash out the mushrooms. 10 minutes on/off is doable with a 2nd T flop I suppose.
What if you would hook up two decay timers, where one decay timer dispenses an item into however many cob webs you need to flush out your shrooms. This way you would end up with a 10 minute cycle with as limited idle time due to your water flow as possible.