Biom Value Oversview

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Epsilon

Biom Value Oversview

Post by Epsilon »

Hi there,
BTW alwasy focused on having little unnecessary "features", and this applys to biomes as well. This means every biome in BTW has a specific purpose, something that makes it Special and gives it a right to exist; in many cases this was not the case with the vanilla Version.
If I remember that right FC explained this once, when the added even more biomes without special purpose in 1.7 and 1.8, which he disliked as design choice. But enough of history lessons, with this principle beeing deepened with the latest release I spend some hours putting together a "list" of Biomes / pros / cons just to give a short overwiev; for newer Players and those who are interested.

be careful the Image is quite big, even so ist just 1/16 of original size
Spoiler
Show
If there is anything wrong or missing feel free to tell me, so I can further improve this.

EDIT:
-changed the titel to be less confusing
-made some improvements and corrections (*2)
Last edited by Epsilon on Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Biom Value Oversight

Post by FlowerChild »

I think the word you're looking for is "overview" rather than "oversight". Coming into this thread I was thinking it would likely need to be moved to the feedback subforum :)
Rawny

Re: Biom Value Oversight

Post by Rawny »

- An overview of the biomes is good. The oversight of "oversight" is bad.
- Change the biome text from black to black with a small white border as the names are hard to read over some of the perty images.
- Slime spawn on surface of swamp biomes.
- It's a perty chart, nice job.

<insert thumbs up icon here>
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Epsilon

Re: Biom Value Oversview

Post by Epsilon »

ok, thank you Rawny.
I will get onto it tomorrow... I'm too tired now, and the program I'm using makes editing a pain -.-

About the slimes... can you confirm they still do? I wasn't sure, and could not test it myself yet:
FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Slime.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice overview Epsilon! Really like the effort you put in it! :D
Possible Fixes/Additives
Show
Desert
-Hardcore Sinkholes(as a con) Floating sand collapses when you walk over it, can be deadly.

Forest
-Wolves(as a con as well) They can be quite nasty if you hang out in an area too long.
-Mobs don't burn under trees(con)

Taiga
-Wolves(as a con as well) They can be quite nasty if you hang out in an area too long.
-Mobs don't burn under trees(con)

Plains
-smal Forest(typo:small)

Swamp
-Suggar(typo:Sugar)
-Lillypad(typo:Lilypad
-Wiches(typo:Witches)

Mountains
-terain(typo:terrain)

Ice Planes
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

I typically have a horrible memory but for some reason I seem to remember this clearly... or my brain made it up.

Glue and slime balls used to be interchangeable back in the olden days when one had to manually power their computers with a hand crank. In one Minecraft update, they made slime spawn on the surface of swamps making slime balls VERY easy to farm. In sharp contrast, one had to be caving and randomly stumble onto the slurpy sounds of slime. You then had to "research" where the slime spawned as the spawn chunks weren't originally identified by signs . Now I hear them almost every night as I move around in my little underground swamp hovel while they ceaselessly follow me on the surface using their extraslimy perception.

but I may be wrong, in whole or in parts.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Yeah, slimes do spawn in swamps, that's a vanilla thing. I end up with them on my front porch every night, living right outside a swamp.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Thank you Rob,
your mentions helped improve the chart a lot.
I may still have missed something in the process.

I'm not sure whether to add things like "Mushroom Islands" and "Villages"/"Temples" as their own sections.
Also I have not encountered an "ice plains" biome for Ages; had to use a seed to get the Picture -.- ... so, not sure if they really exist.

FlowerChild wrote:Coming into this thread I was thinking it would likely need to be moved to the feedback subforum :)
And to be hones you are not completely wrong; the motivation to do this partially was to find out "which biome is the best/worst" and maybe stumble across something I consider as imbalanced... But so far I can't complain :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Epsilon wrote:And to be hones you are not completely wrong; the motivation to do this partially was to find out "which biome is the best/worst" and maybe stumble across something I consider as imbalanced... But so far I can't complain :D
Well, the biomes aren't really balanced against each other in an attempt to make them all equal or something. They're really just setup to try and make each of them interesting in their own way, and there's likely more work I could do there as well. Snow biomes in particular are something I'd like to make more distinct.

On that note: there's also a snow/ice mountains biome (similar to the plains) not listed in your chart. I also don't think wolves spawn in snow plains, but are only found in taiga and forest.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, the biomes aren't really balanced against each other in an attempt to make them all equal or something. They're really just setup to try and make each of them interesting in their own way, and there's likely more work I could do there as well.
That's about what I thought as well, and for me it's fine that way. Snow biomes make nice building places as the snow adds a very unique flavor. The only thing I could complain about is, that they are hard to find in their distinkt forms. When I was taking the pictures for this, I used seeds to visit the biomes I had not yet encountered in my world, "ice plains" and "snowy mountains"; so I assume they are somewhat rare, but that's just my experience. Also getting an official list what biomes existet in 1.5.2 is difficult as all Information on the vanilla wiki refers to the newest version (and the change log is unclear in many cases); so it's likely I got something wrong that was not frequent experience for me in the game.
FlowerChild wrote:On that note: there's also a snow/ice mountains biome (similar to the plains) not listed in your chart. I also don't think wolves spawn in snow plains, but are only found in taiga and forest.
I will try to double check that again and adapt the Chart.
Thanks for the help, there so much I don't know :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Epsilon wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:On that note: there's also a snow/ice mountains biome (similar to the plains) not listed in your chart. I also don't think wolves spawn in snow plains, but are only found in taiga and forest.
I will try to double check that again and adapt the Chart.
Thanks for the help, there so much I don't know :)
I think what we see most often is that snow plains and snowy mountains are often bordering taiga, and the wolves just wonder into the plains and mountains.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Epsilon wrote:That's about what I thought as well, and for me it's fine that way. Snow biomes make nice building places as the snow adds a very unique flavor. The only thing I could complain about is, that they are hard to find in their distinkt forms. When I was taking the pictures for this, I used seeds to visit the biomes I had not yet encountered in my world, "ice plains" and "snowy mountains"; so I assume they are somewhat rare, but that's just my experience. Also getting an official list what biomes existet in 1.5.2 is difficult as all Information on the vanilla wiki refers to the newest version (and the change log is unclear in many cases); so it's likely I got something wrong that was not frequent experience for me in the game.
Well, to help you out, here's the full list of biomes straight out of the code:

Code: Select all

public static final BiomeGenBase ocean = (new BiomeGenOcean(0)).setColor(112).setBiomeName("Ocean").setMinMaxHeight(-1.0F, 0.4F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase plains = (new BiomeGenPlains(1)).setColor(9286496).setBiomeName("Plains").setTemperatureRainfall(0.8F, 0.4F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase desert = (new BiomeGenDesert(2)).setColor(16421912).setBiomeName("Desert").setDisableRain().setTemperatureRainfall(2.0F, 0.0F).setMinMaxHeight(0.1F, 0.2F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase extremeHills = (new BiomeGenHills(3)).setColor(6316128).setBiomeName("Extreme Hills").setMinMaxHeight(0.3F, 1.5F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.2F, 0.3F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase forest = (new BiomeGenForest(4)).setColor(353825).setBiomeName("Forest").func_76733_a(5159473).setTemperatureRainfall(0.7F, 0.8F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase taiga = (new BiomeGenTaiga(5)).setColor(747097).setBiomeName("Taiga").func_76733_a(5159473).setEnableSnow().setTemperatureRainfall(0.05F, 0.8F).setMinMaxHeight(0.1F, 0.4F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase swampland = (new BiomeGenSwamp(6)).setColor(522674).setBiomeName("Swampland").func_76733_a(9154376).setMinMaxHeight(-0.2F, 0.1F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.8F, 0.9F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase river = (new BiomeGenRiver(7)).setColor(255).setBiomeName("River").setMinMaxHeight(-0.5F, 0.0F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase hell = (new BiomeGenHell(8)).setColor(16711680).setBiomeName("Hell").setDisableRain().setTemperatureRainfall(2.0F, 0.0F);

/** Is the biome used for sky world. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase sky = (new BiomeGenEnd(9)).setColor(8421631).setBiomeName("Sky").setDisableRain();
    public static final BiomeGenBase frozenOcean = (new BiomeGenOcean(10)).setColor(9474208).setBiomeName("FrozenOcean").setEnableSnow().setMinMaxHeight(-1.0F, 0.5F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.0F, 0.5F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase frozenRiver = (new BiomeGenRiver(11)).setColor(10526975).setBiomeName("FrozenRiver").setEnableSnow().setMinMaxHeight(-0.5F, 0.0F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.0F, 0.5F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase icePlains = (new BiomeGenSnow(12)).setColor(16777215).setBiomeName("Ice Plains").setEnableSnow().setTemperatureRainfall(0.0F, 0.5F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase iceMountains = (new BiomeGenSnow(13)).setColor(10526880).setBiomeName("Ice Mountains").setEnableSnow().setMinMaxHeight(0.3F, 1.3F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.0F, 0.5F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase mushroomIsland = (new BiomeGenMushroomIsland(14)).setColor(16711935).setBiomeName("MushroomIsland").setTemperatureRainfall(0.9F, 1.0F).setMinMaxHeight(0.2F, 1.0F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase mushroomIslandShore = (new BiomeGenMushroomIsland(15)).setColor(10486015).setBiomeName("MushroomIslandShore").setTemperatureRainfall(0.9F, 1.0F).setMinMaxHeight(-1.0F, 0.1F);

/** Beach biome. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase beach = (new BiomeGenBeach(16)).setColor(16440917).setBiomeName("Beach").setTemperatureRainfall(0.8F, 0.4F).setMinMaxHeight(0.0F, 0.1F);

/** Desert Hills biome. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase desertHills = (new BiomeGenDesert(17)).setColor(13786898).setBiomeName("DesertHills").setDisableRain().setTemperatureRainfall(2.0F, 0.0F).setMinMaxHeight(0.3F, 0.8F);

/** Forest Hills biome. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase forestHills = (new BiomeGenForest(18)).setColor(2250012).setBiomeName("ForestHills").func_76733_a(5159473).setTemperatureRainfall(0.7F, 0.8F).setMinMaxHeight(0.3F, 0.7F);

/** Taiga Hills biome. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase taigaHills = (new BiomeGenTaiga(19)).setColor(1456435).setBiomeName("TaigaHills").setEnableSnow().func_76733_a(5159473).setTemperatureRainfall(0.05F, 0.8F).setMinMaxHeight(0.3F, 0.8F);

/** Extreme Hills Edge biome. */
    public static final BiomeGenBase extremeHillsEdge = (new BiomeGenHills(20)).setColor(7501978).setBiomeName("Extreme Hills Edge").setMinMaxHeight(0.2F, 0.8F).setTemperatureRainfall(0.2F, 0.3F);

/** Jungle biome identifier */
    public static final BiomeGenBase jungle = (new BiomeGenJungle(21)).setColor(5470985).setBiomeName("Jungle").func_76733_a(5470985).setTemperatureRainfall(1.2F, 0.9F).setMinMaxHeight(0.2F, 0.4F);
    public static final BiomeGenBase jungleHills = (new BiomeGenJungle(22)).setColor(2900485).setBiomeName("JungleHills").func_76733_a(5470985).setTemperatureRainfall(1.2F, 0.9F).setMinMaxHeight(1.8F, 0.5F);
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Digging deeper into the wiki I found out you where right with Wolves not spawning in ice plains.
FlowerChild wrote:Well, to help you out, here's the full list of biomes straight out of the code:
Thank you, this leaves no more room for speculations.
But it isn't exactly making the job easier... sure now I have all the existing biomes right there... but Imo some are not worth to be distinguished (e.g. "jungle" and "jungleHills").

hm..naaa... guess I will have to make some more drastic changes to give credit to this new knowledge
Rob

Post by Rob »

All this talk about hills made me double check your list.

Mountains have silverfish as a con.
Probably a problem in 'jungle hills' as well? Not sure.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: Mountains have silverfish as a con.
Hehe...yeah, big time. Last time I setup shop in a swamp was because the only other immediately available option was a mountain biome, and the swamp suddenly became a way more appealing option because of the silverfish :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I love it when you're making a large mine tunnel and forgot it goes in the direction of a mountain biome. Can net you with some nice surprises :(
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

I will work on a new version right when I'm home, but it will take some time to realise what I have in mind...

Right, forgot that silverfish mountain thing
Even so I should have known it, as I'm living in a mountains biome at the moment, through I have no problems with my little subtenants; the have not caused damage so far and are easy to kill on occasional unexpected 1vs1 encounters :)
ada221

Post by ada221 »

Hey! I really like this (it might be great to put on the wiki after it's been polished). I don't have any new content to add, but I do see some grammar mistakes I can help with!

Note: capitalization recommendations are done in a way that seems consistent with the rest of the image

Jungle:
-capital 'S' in *s*low walking on leaf covered ground

Taiga:
-'Spruce' instead of *Sprouce*
-lowercase 's' in (*s*now)

Plains:
-capital 'O' in *o*ften
-capital 'G' in *g*ood sight

Ice planes:
-'plains' instead of planes
-capital 'G' in *g*ood sight
-capital 'L' in *l*ow in wood

Abandoned mine shafts:
-capital 'A' in *a*ccess
-lowercase 'm' in (*M*obs, cave spiders)
-as a stylistic choice, you may want to put the lines with "~>" in parenthesis instead

Canions and Ravines
-"Canyons and Ravines"
-"'A'ccess 'to'" instead of *a*ccess *tp*
-as a stylistic choice, you may want to put the lines with "~>" in parenthesis instead

Nether:
-as a stylistic choice, you may want to put the lines under "Dangerous !!!" in parenthesis

Nether fortress:
-capital "O" in *o*f course

The END:
-capital "P" in *p*lacing
-"Tons" (US) or "Tonnes" (UK) instead of *Tonns* --EDIT: disregard this
Last edited by ada221 on Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Nice as a tool :). thanks for the hard work!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

ada221 wrote:The END:
-capital "P" in *p*lacing
-"Tons" (US) or "Tonnes" (UK) instead of *Tonns*
Afaik the word is tons regardless. Tonnes is a different (metric) unit than ton, but the word meaning 'a lot' is the same.

But good job on this so far, it definitely looks good!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!