New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote: WHAT?!? O.O

Is that a new development in the BTW epic, or did I miss a verse somewhere along the way?
I think you may be misinterpreting, or I wasn't aware that me deciding to start up a new save game was news worthy :)
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:I think you may be misinterpreting, or I wasn't aware that me deciding to start up a new save game was news worthy :)
Ah. Misinterpreting for sure, then. I thought you were starting a new world as in no more original world. I was thinking 'Who is this guy, and where is FlowerChild?'. :D
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Just had my first experience with nervous animals...
Thanks Flowerchild ._.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

erikdk321 wrote:Just had my first experience with nervous animals...
Thanks Flowerchild ._.
I am detecting a hint of blunt force trauma in your post :)
Arx

Post by Arx »

Just as I was getting back into Minecraft and thinking I should find a more recently updated mod. Thanks, FC, from a years-old lurker who couldn't be bothered to make an account 'til now.

*Hits download, prepares body.*

Edit: Fell in lake, eaten by hatsie. Still the same old BTW. :')
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

-Fixed particle effects not appearing at all on smashing pumpkins. Also fixed both pumpkins and melons not displaying particle effects when dropped on invalid blocks like torches or slabs.
With the need for a saw to craft a wooden door, will they be more effective against zombies?
Flowerkid

Post by Flowerkid »

Wouldn't slime blocks be an appropriate addition now that slimes are difficult to defeat?
I think it will serve as a reasonable reward at the very least.
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

I think most everything was a quick and easy figure out. All in a enjoyable way.
Though I will be honest, I am still wrecking my brain over these brown mushrooms. Seriously feeling that finding a mushroom island is the only way now.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Z_Evil wrote:I think most everything was a quick and easy figure out. All in a enjoyable way.
Though I will be honest, I am still wrecking my brain over these brown mushrooms. Seriously feeling that finding a mushroom island is the only way now.
There's plenty of solutions. I brainstormed a list of early, mid and later game designs and it's not hard to create a mushroom farm in the current setup. Most of my early game designs have a grand total of two necessary items: dirt and a shovel.

Most mid-game designs feature pistons, which is awesome, as it gives you a reason to go after those jungle temples in early game.

I was typing up a list of early game mushroom designs when I realized that it would take fun away for some people to post them here so close after release. Really though, most of it is trivial. I will say that I will miss putting invisible seed mushrooms all over my base. I used to chuckle each time I played SMP with friends and people kept being surprised by random mushrooms in random corridors springing up :D.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

Gilberreke wrote:
Z_Evil wrote:I think most everything was a quick and easy figure out. All in a enjoyable way.
There's plenty of solutions. I brainstormed a list of early, mid and later game designs and it's not hard to create a mushroom farm in the current setup. Most of my early game designs have a grand total of two necessary items: dirt and a shovel.

Most mid-game designs feature pistons, which is awesome, as it gives you a reason to go after those jungle temples in early game.

I was typing up a list of early game mushroom designs when I realized that it would take fun away for some people to post them here so close after release. Really though, most of it is trivial. I will say that I will miss putting invisible seed mushrooms all over my base. I used to chuckle each time I played SMP with friends and people kept being surprised by random mushrooms in random corridors springing up :D.
Doesn't feel simple since I can't seem to get mushroom farms to grow now (brown mushrooms). I know my autofarm works because I get the red mushrooms, but no brown come out now
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Very cool, thank you for the release Flowerchild! I look forward to trying it out.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEBrYi9 ... e=youtu.be

Super excited with the changes man. Thanks <3
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Z_Evil wrote:Doesn't feel simple since I can't seem to get mushroom farms to grow now (brown mushrooms). I know my autofarm works because I get the red mushrooms, but no brown come out now
Browns only grow in complete 100% darkness. Your auto farm is probably lit.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote: Super excited with the changes man. Thanks <3
Well, I was super excited to wake up to an update video, so thanks to you man :)
Flowerkid wrote:Wouldn't slime blocks be an appropriate addition now that slimes are difficult to defeat?
I think it will serve as a reasonable reward at the very least.
No, the recipe is a very small part of the equation and could have been easily changed. How slime blocks would relate to the rest of the progression is a much thornier issue.
Z_Evil wrote:Seriously feeling that finding a mushroom island is the only way now.
Just a quick note on this bit: even if you resorted to only using mycelium, mushroom biomes aren't even the only way to get it in BTW.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

Well what do you know, a release snuck in while I wasn't looking!
Shame I won't have time to play it for a while, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:No, the recipe is a very small part of the equation and could have been easily changed. How slime blocks would relate to the rest of the progression is a much thornier issue.
Yeah, on one hand a single "original 6"-style block would be fun and add a lot of complexity (and novelty) for near 0 development cost, but balancing the design is probably a gargantuan task. That's the issue I guess with the mod slowly shifting to a more hardcore survival experience, there's not a lot of freedom left for adding fun tech blocks, because they'd mess with everything else. Then again, I don't feel like the mod's lacking fun tech blocks anyway, so whatever.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Yeah, on one hand a single "original 6"-style block would be fun and add a lot of complexity (and novelty) for near 0 development cost, but balancing the design is probably a gargantuan task.
Well, the development cost may be lessened, but it's far from zero. I recently looked into trying to port over some of the lighting fixes in the most recent versions of Minecraft, and the overall architecture of the game has changed quite significantly from 1.5. It would likely be doable with some elbow grease, but I would say it's non-trivial.
That's the issue I guess with the mod slowly shifting to a more hardcore survival experience, there's not a lot of freedom left for adding fun tech blocks, because they'd mess with everything else. Then again, I don't feel like the mod's lacking fun tech blocks anyway, so whatever.
Well, that's really the thing: slime blocks are a solution to a problem that doesn't necessarily exist within the mod at present. Yes, they are extremely cool and on that level they definitely appeal to me. However, if I were to integrate them I'd likely want to integrate them fully into the progression and give them a particular purpose within the mod, similar to what I eventually did with pistons, which would likely involve creating an in-game problem for them to solve, which would likely mean more additional features.

It's a bit of a slippery/slimy slope I'd be putting myself on then if I decided to embrace them fully, and ultimately when I ask myself if this is something the mod needs or that I would feel compelled to create myself if they didn't already exist in stock, the answer is "no".

Anyways, this is all getting rather off topic, so if people would like to discuss slime blocks in general, I'd suggest creating a separate thread for it.
Rakane01

Post by Rakane01 »

As Z_evil has stated before we are having trouble using darkness, complete darkness, a little light, different levels of placement, wider spawning blocks, higher spawning blocks to create our new mushroom farms as of the new patch. Out of curiosity I started a creative world to see if they needed to be on a certain level in the world like you find diamond on certain levels but i spent hours going through caves and only found red mushrooms tried this on 3 different worlds still only red found no brown. I notice that the brown mushroom block gives off its own faint light could this cause an issue with complete darkness. setting up a working farm has myself and others baffled we are trying everything. It might be something we have overlooked but I cannot figure out what. Help as I have stopped building as I cant carry on till have this working not just for me on our server but for the rest of us.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rakane01 wrote:I notice that the brown mushroom block gives off its own faint light could this cause an issue with complete darkness.
Arg, I never noticed that before, but checking the code you're absolutely right there. Yeah...that's not good. Will fix.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

FlowerChild wrote:Arg, I never noticed that before, but checking the code you're absolutely right there. Yeah...that's not good. Will fix.
Thank Mushroom for that man! I've been tearing my hair out all weekend over this. Tried all the strat's possible, pitch pitch black, nearly died several times - you get the picture.
Lookin' forward to mushrooms for all again :D
Rakane01

Post by Rakane01 »

Your the man Flowerchild thank you for checking this hopefully i can get back to continuing the world with my mind at ease. thanks again
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No worries guys. My apologies for all the small problems with the release. I'm definitely out of practice when it comes to MC's code base, and it's resulted in a number of oversights on my part.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

FlowerChild wrote:New Release! (BTW V4.A Dingo)
Thank you so much for your ongoing commitment with this great game. Slimes feel really well balanced now.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Soooooo animals are more skittish. FC you are wonderfully evil. This is a subtle change but it makes the early game significantly more interesting. Worth a restart just for this.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

SO EXCITED!!!! these new changes will force me to change my WHOLE early game :D... so that means a new world! can't wait... now to enter the mancave and return several days later :D

YOU are the best FC!