This mod is still as awesome as ever!

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Ethinolicbob

Re: This mod is still as awesome as ever!

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Again I know what you are saying, but there is a value to all of the survival portion of the game that can be hard to quantify by itself without the entire scope of the game.
It's like saying "I enabled the experience of BTW by cheating in SFS and bypassing the entire tech tree"
I know you might think of this as a ridiculous comparison but hear me out.
By skipping entire portions of the game you are basically cutting out the part of BTW that gives you the sense of accomplishment from flourishing in the face of adversity.

When I am carving the mines with my efficiency 3 diamond pickaxe I know that 100's of stone pickaxes were behind the obtaining of this diamond pickaxe and made my old piddly ass small hole in the ground. I know that as I use it that I earned it, I clawed my way out of a cave with dirt slabs and I am now master of the world.

That is also how I have found hardcore spawn. Sure when playing coop it sucks and can drain a lot of the fun in the short term. But in the end I was able to die and continue playing with my friend without missing a beat. When either of us died we knew where we were, we knew where to go. We no longer had to sacrifice valuable playtime together to recover from a death. We EARNED the right to uninterrupted playtime.

So saying that cheating "did not harm our overall play experience but rather enabled it" sounds completely ridiculous to me. Sure I could cheat in some SFS and have fun but what I would have experienced would have had BTW-like elements but would no longer be BTW.

And that really ties me back to the OP to Ditto ada221.
As far as gaming experiences go I always come back to BTW. No other experience has quite the substance, scope and the feeling of accomplishment as the BTW experience provides me
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ethinolicbob wrote:As far as gaming experiences go I always come back to BTW. No other experience has quite the substance, scope and the feeling of accomplishment as the BTW experience provides me
Thanks man. Reading that was an excellent Christmas gift :)

As for co-op respawns, for someone (or multiple someones) that's already experienced the full BTW progression, I'm a little torn on it. From back when I was doing a bit of coop (primarily with Icy for some of his LPs), I know it can be quite a pain when you suddenly find yourself split from each other. We didn't pull a TP mind you, but it was tempting to be sure.

When you arrange to play coop with someone, it kinda sucks when that's taken away from you, especially if it happens very early on. On the other hand, the desire not to be separated, adds a hell of a lot to the overall fear of death, which adds a lot to the gameplay experience overall.

I also get the impression that BTW is probably not a good mod to introduce another player to through coop, and that it should probably be first experienced in single player until the basics of survival are understood. Having a noob constantly dying and being separated from their "instructor" in the process probably only exasperates what may already be a frustrating situation.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

Hardcore respawn it's one of the best thing in better than wolves !
the player adapts to the game and not the reverse!
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

FlowerChild wrote:
I also get the impression that BTW is probably not a good mod to introduce another player to through coop, and that it should probably be first experienced in single player until the basics of survival are understood.
Definitely agree with this. I run a server and opened it up to my viewers but one of the requirements was that they had downloaded the mod and played it in single player to get to grips with it. Especially if they have already played vanilla because of how different this experience is. I'd also like to second Ethin to say that this is certainly the most logical and rewarding gaming experience I've ever had. I've been playing this mod for years and it's the only mod I do play. For me, BTW is Minecraft and I can't ever see myself getting bored of it.

Also Merry Christmas Flowerchild, hope you had a good one!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mesh wrote:Also Merry Christmas Flowerchild, hope you had a good one!

Thanks man, you too! :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Flowerchild has saved us from what we thought we wanted by giving us what we didn't know we needed. Now if I could just spread the gospel to more of my friends
Better is the enemy of Good
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

DaveYanakov wrote:Flowerchild has saved us from what we thought we wanted by giving us what we didn't know we needed. Now if I could just spread the gospel to more of my friends
I haven't heard such resounding truth from an online source in a long long time, I'd maybe even say ever.

I hope everyone has a good one.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Ethinolicbob wrote:By skipping entire portions of the game you are basically cutting out the part of BTW that gives you the sense of accomplishment from flourishing in the face of adversity.
I completely agree. I wouldn't play BTW if I didn't, that is the entire philosophy that I like so much. And when I play single player or with other people, I hardcore spawn it up.

That particular person I was playing with however was a casual gamer who also had some phobia-related hangups that prevented her (in her mind) from being able to play the game alone. While I agree that she probably would have eventually had more fun with hardcore spawn, she never would have been willing to play to that point.

Hence, enabled. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Thanks man. Reading that was an excellent Christmas gift :)

As for co-op respawns, for someone (or multiple someones) that's already experienced the full BTW progression, I'm a little torn on it. From back when I was doing a bit of coop (primarily with Icy for some of his LPs), I know it can be quite a pain when you suddenly find yourself split from each other. We didn't pull a TP mind you, but it was tempting to be sure.

When you arrange to play coop with someone, it kinda sucks when that's taken away from you, especially if it happens very early on. On the other hand, the desire not to be separated, adds a hell of a lot to the overall fear of death, which adds a lot to the gameplay experience overall.

I also get the impression that BTW is probably not a good mod to introduce another player to through coop, and that it should probably be first experienced in single player until the basics of survival are understood. Having a noob constantly dying and being separated from their "instructor" in the process probably only exasperates what may already be a frustrating situation.
When I played with a buddy of mine whenever one of us died (usually him) the other would put all their stuff in a chest and then tp to the person that just hardcore spawned. Cheating yes, but I thought it was a fair tradeoff that let us continue to play co-op while still experiencing all the pain of hardcore spawn.
Maxams

Post by Maxams »

i'm still very new to BTW but i think i'm gonna sooo much more hours on it.i'm glad i installed it.
"CANT STOP WONT STOP"
Mark88fan

Post by Mark88fan »

Merry Christmas Flower Child and a big thanks from me for the best mod by far for Minecraft. I'm back playing it again since the humped camel update and I do apologize for the swear words I sent your way. ;)
gungad

Post by gungad »

Thanks FlowerChild.
Last week when my chickens started exploding, I remember why I love Better Than Wolves.
HuntG

Post by HuntG »

I've been playing BTW on and off since it first showed up, (2011 was it?) and I love it. No game manages to feel as engaging or as rewarding as BTW does so consistently. I can't even play vanilla Minecraft anymore because it bores me to death with how simple and bland it is.

So anyway, just wanted to say thanks for your dedication to your project and to putting your back in to making sure it's the most well balanced and fun mod there is for Minecraft.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I've been playing recently with the new version. I placed a dirt slab in the ground near some animals to climb a step, and all of a sudden a cow goes crazy, kicks and kills a sheep that is next to it. I just wanted to say there was something really satisfying about watching that :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

I never felt so much acomplishment in finding one single mushroom. THX FC for making every single piece of this game feel like a milestone.
There's no other game I know of that makes you happy about everything you manage to get done;
that's why I love this game.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?