Renewable Iron: Spawner vs Darkroom Trap

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
fraff

Renewable Iron: Spawner vs Darkroom Trap

Post by fraff »

Hi all,

I have a quick question about the viability of using zombie spawner traps as an initial (poor) source of renewable iron. I haven't found too many definitive answers by searching, so I wanted to hear your guys' experiences. :(

To preface, I am very aware that FC has made changes to discourage spawner traps, and that the ultimate end-game goal for efficient automation is a big "dark room" style mob trap.

I've recently hit crucible tech for the first time, and I was really excited to find a zombie spawner directly underneath my base. I thought to build a trap out of it and use it to recover a bit of iron before starting work on bigger and better things. I'm very busy IRL, but I figured I could use that to my advantage by AFKing a few hours and save up for a couple saws and screw pumps. However, I was dismayed to find that in my first hour, I had sawed down over 200 zombies and received 2 scrolls (hooray!), but NO tools.

I didn't expect to get iron very quickly, but I thought I would at LEAST get a reasonable trickle over hours of time. I did a really rough test in Creative, and the results are in the spoilers below in case you guys don't like seeing numbers.
Spoiler
Show
My Creative test yielded that naturally spawned zombies are equipped anywhere from about 1:15 to 1:25 times, so this means my luck with spawners shows at least a tenfold decrease in rate.
My question is this: Are the adjusted spawner rates for equipped zombies really this abysmally low, or am I just off to an unlucky start? Or perhaps am I unrealistic with my expectations for the timeframe for renewable iron, even from a big darkroom trap? I don't get a lot of free time, but I understand if this sort of thing is expected to take a while.

Thanks!!
Norton

Re: Renewable Iron: Spawner vs Darkroom Trap

Post by Norton »

fraff wrote:Are the adjusted spawner rates for equipped zombies really this abysmally low, or am I just off to an unlucky start? Or perhaps am I unrealistic with my expectations for the timeframe for renewable iron, even from a big darkroom trap? I don't get a lot of free time, but I understand if this sort of thing is expected to take a while.
Having tried that at one point... very low, as in zero. Changelog 4.64: "Changed mob spawners so that they won't spawn creatures wearing armor or with other equipment"

Gamey but not cheatey:
Spoiler
Show
If you've done a good job lighting up the surface and nearby cave systems, the output from a small dark room will add up pretty quickly.
fraff

Post by fraff »

Ah shoot, didn't see that. Thanks!

I recently got a tool, but I guess that was actually a naturally spawned zombie from the spawner room. Time to switch my efforts to building up a real mob trap, then... probably just expand from the spawner room so I don't have to shift my machinery.

Good to know that the darkroom traps are effective, though. Hopefully the time input will pay off reasonably quickly!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Never trust any test you do in creative mode.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

My own mob trap, a darkroom with automatic flushing with water (instead of vine traps I turn on water every 16 seconds which pushes the mobs off the platforms) which works very well. It's a bit slow because there's a lot of unlit caves, but once they're lit up even a small one will work very quickly. Mine is only 2 floors, with about 16x16 spawnable space in it (it's bigger than that but the rest is air), and though actively pushing mobs through makes it a bit more efficient, that isn't necessary.

Also, if you afk for a couple hours, you're going to come back to a very dead you. You still use hunger while just standing to prevent that sort of behavior.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!