HC-sheep: Can I breed white sheep?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
AddyBaha

HC-sheep: Can I breed white sheep?

Post by AddyBaha »

Hi.

I was stupid enough to kill all my white sheep. I managed to breed green, light green, yellow, orange, red, pink, mangenta, purple, blue, light blue, black, grey and light grey befor my horrible mistake. It seems that turquise and brown are just a matter of time but there seems to be no way to rebreed white sheep (as far as the wiki says).
So my question is:
Can I somehow rebreed white sheep into my herd or do I have to go out to an adventure to get them?

btw: I know I can use potash to decolor sheep but I'm aiming for a "gotta breed 'em all" sheep hut.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
jorgebonafe

Re: HC-sheep: Can I breed white sheep?

Post by jorgebonafe »

You can. I believe every breeding every sheep has a chance of getting some other colors, but I don't know the combinations.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Check the wiki, it gives a pretty detailed explanation of breeding
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

jackatthekilns wrote:Check the wiki, it gives a pretty detailed explanation of breeding
I already looked at the wiki and stated that
AddyBaha wrote: It seems that turquise and brown are just a matter of time but there seems to be no way to rebreed white sheep (as far as the wiki says).

It doesn't state a possible breed to get white sheep from nonwhite sheep. As the wiki is sometimes outdated and even had problems being just wrong at times I am asking here to make sure.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

This is an entirely theoretical observation based on my limited personal experience of sheep breeding.
Spoiler
Show
How 'purebred' are your coloured sheep/How many generations since a white parent?
I'm fairly certain sheep follow Mendel genetics; dominant and recessive colour traits. If any of your sheep have a white recessive then you might luck out with one of the lambs.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

[quote="EtherealWrath"]This is an entirely theoretical observation based on my limited personal experience of sheep breeding.

if your theory is correct, than I'm better of hunting for white sheep, since I'm working with the 20th or so generation.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

EtherealWrath wrote:This is an entirely theoretical observation based on my limited personal experience of sheep breeding.
Spoiler
Show
How 'purebred' are your coloured sheep/How many generations since a white parent?
I'm fairly certain sheep follow Mendel genetics; dominant and recessive colour traits. If any of your sheep have a white recessive then you might luck out with one of the lambs.
Sheep don't have dominant and recessive traits. It's not that complicated.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote: Sheep don't have dominant and recessive traits. It's not that complicated.
How would you know that?
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

FlowerChild wrote:How would you know that?
Sounds like we have some Mendel-style experiments to do!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If anything the colour genes are recessive, meaning if you are reliably getting coloured lambs, the dominant white gene has been entirely bred out or it would have already expressed within a few generations.
Better is the enemy of Good
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

DaveYanakov wrote:If anything the colour genes are recessive, meaning if you are reliably getting coloured lambs, the dominant white gene has been entirely bred out or it would have already expressed within a few generations.
I did some tests; while they weren't as extensive as needed, I think this isn't the case.

Recessive traits often "pop up" in the third generation, so I crossed pink x white sheep until I got two white sheep with a pink parent. If colour is recessive, then those white sheep are Cc (heterozygous).

Then I crossed those white sheep together. If the "colour is recessive" hypothesis is true, odds are 1/4 of the offspring would be pink... but after 10 or so attempts, I still got only white sheep, so either I was really unlucky or this isn't the case.

My thinking so far. With spoilers because, seriously, while this info is probably in the wiki, you guys should try it by yourselves. It's fun.
Spoiler
Show
FC probably said "How would you know that?" to tease you guys and encourage playing, but I think it isn't a matter of dominance; looks like they have only one colour "allele" (gene place), so the sheep either has one gene for a certain colour or it doesn't.

When you cross two sheep, the game checks if mixing the parents' colour result in one of the 16 colours (example: red+yellow=orange). If yes, toss a coin; if heads, the offspring will have the mixed colour; if tails, it inherits one of the parents' colours.

Then, there's a small chance of mutation. However, the sheep won't mutate to any colour; there are restrictions. For example, I never saw white sheep generate orange or purple sheep, but always light colours or black.

So, answering the OP: I do not know if the mutations are bidirectional (as in, if A can generate B, B can generate A by mutation). However, I'd try to generate white sheep first and foremost with light blue, black, pink or lime sheep, since those are able to be generated by white.
--Who do you think you are, War?