Why are my chickens dying?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
NotEvenOdd

Why are my chickens dying?

Post by NotEvenOdd »

Hi all,

As the title suggests, my 50 or so chickens seem to have committed mass suicide and I'm trying to work out why. Until my investment in a infernal enchanter they haven't been a problem.

Bearing in mind:

- The nearest nether portal is very far away from the pen.
- There have been no break-ins by mobs.
- The infernal enchanter was placed some 27 blocks away from the pen.
- I removed the enchanter but the remaining chickens were still dying.
- The chickens are not becoming demonic like they would if they were next to a portal.
- None of my other animals - wolves, pigs, and cows - have been affected despite their proximity to the enchanter.

Could it be that the tormented souls from the enchanter are possessing them? If so, how could do to banish the evil spirits?

Below are some pictures of the pen:

The chicken pen.
Spoiler
Show
There's no way in for mobs.
Spoiler
Show
Even the hatched chickens are dying.
Spoiler
Show
AddyBaha

Re: Why are my chickens dying?

Post by AddyBaha »

On the last picture it looks like there is very few space for your chicken. Do they die on chunkload?
If so it's possible they are glitching into the walls.

I had something like this happening to my pen after building a kiln and an enchantment table nearby (I gues structures that check there surroundings can screw the game some times).

My solution that seems to work was:
a) expanding the pen and
b) placing fences infront of the wall ( sometimes chicken get stuck in the fences now, but they will not die)

An other possible thing that could have happen( but wouldn't explain why they keep dying ) is a lightningstrike

I hope this helps
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

AddyBaha wrote:On the last picture it looks like there is very few space for your chicken. Do they die on chunkload?
If so it's possible they are glitching into the walls.
That's a good point and I was sandwiching 50 of them into one block... I'll try fencing them in as you suggest.
AddyBaha wrote: An other possible thing that could have happen( but wouldn't explain why they keep dying ) is a lightningstrike
Lightning came around before they died so that's definitely plausible. If that was the case however the roof would have probably burnt with them.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

I find that glass tends to work better then fences for preventing the animal suffocation glitch, due to it being a full block.
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

abculatter_2 wrote:I find that glass tends to work better then fences for preventing the animal suffocation glitch, due to it being a full block.
I'm glad you said that because the fences were just introducing more problems. I'm using wood sidings and glass to cage them in this time and it seems to be working nicely.

The problem with fences is that the eggs don't go in the hopper:
Spoiler
Show
If all is well, this will work out great:
Spoiler
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I have had frequent problems with chickens dying when they are on a chunk boundary. Don't know why, never seen it happen but keeping the coop all on one chunk solved my issues.
NotEvenOdd

Post by NotEvenOdd »

Sarudak wrote:I have had frequent problems with chickens dying when they are on a chunk boundary. Don't know why, never seen it happen but keeping the coop all on one chunk solved my issues.
I'll bear that in mind.

After tweaking the pen and moving it away from the chunk boundary all seems to be OK. Thanks for your help guys.