BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

Post by Mason11987 »

A while back I worked on a tutorial/introduction world for BTW (here). Since then the mod has changed so much that it's hard to keep everything in mind. I feel like the vast amount of changes might intimidate new players so I set out to make a world which demonstrates what BTW has to offer in detail. I took the tech tree visualization I made and started work on a new tutorial/introduction world. It's still a work in progress. I'm currently working on the Stoked Fire room.

Here's the World Download - BTW V4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vvivl ... s_Demo.zip

Some Screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/Am0C0

The map was originally set up in MCEdit and each room is exactly a chunk (and the walkway is a chunk wide). In this way I don't have to worry about needing to expand or drop sections since things are easy to move around. If anyone is interested in contributing, either by improving an existing chunk or working on one of the empty ones please feel free and re-post the world and I'll incorporate it. If enough people are interested I might set up a server to work on it, but we'll see.

You should spawn inside the starting big room, the intro world is intended to be done in survival (not creative) mode. Two of the branches form a small loop with a number of rooms which will demonstrate various vanilla tweaks and hardcore modes. The other path is the long road through the BTW tech tree. There are some paths off the side which cover some details. Let me know what you think and any suggestions you have.
Last edited by Mason11987 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawny

Re: BTW Tutorial/Introduction World

Post by Rawny »

I've only looked at the pictures but nice! Wow! You have put a lot of work into it, looks great a from what I was able to see seemed clear and concise. Good job.

Sug, you should put its current version in the post and in the intro room if it's not there already.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Looks really good so far - I like it. Two small details: The gear recipe is missing the plank-block and there's no lower lever on the elevator. I espacialy liked the "press for a prize" button.

Keep up the good work, would be interested in seein more.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
djdori11

Post by djdori11 »

Amazing work! I really wanted something like that, definitely going to smooth things up for newer players :)
Palisight

Post by Palisight »

Feedback
Spoiler
Show
Suggested Change: Make walls spider proof
Reason: Spiders can jump over the wall and attack

“Punching soft blocks gives 3 piles”
Suggested change:
Breaking soft blocks without a shovel gives 3 piles
Reason: It’s not just punching. It’s also explosions and torch breaking

Omission?: Shouldn’t there be an example of dirt blocks to dirt slabs?
Reason: Players might think you have to break the dirt blocks into piles in order to make slabs

“Tamed wolves when fed will eventually give you a gift”
Suggested change: Fed wolves will eventually give you a gift
Reason: Wolves don’t need to be tamed to produce dung

Slats sign error:
It says: “Restrict Think instead of Thick

Error: You have a padded boot recipe that doesn’t work (creative mode item only)

Error: “Witches respawn near witch huts”
Explanation: Witch huts spawn with 3 witches that won’t despawn [they will often wander somewhere else or die without you causing it]. Witches in BTW spawn rarely in swamps

Comment: “Iron doors are required to stop zombies in BTW”
A dirt block can stop a zombie in BTW……I think you wanted to say that zombies in BTW can break wooden doors and fence gates, but that statement makes no sense given BTW zombies don't dig or break stone/wood blocks
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Great feedback. I'm having some progress in the world. Just finished the waterwheel and working on stuff you'd find in an inhabited village (villager trades - to get to the end, and new food options).
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Made a bunch of updates. I deleted all the land outside of my map which should limit mob spawning... maybe.

I temporarily replaced the light blocks with glowstone because they don't play well when I screw around in mcedit. I'll put them back at the end though.

I just finished the endstone section, and I think it's coming together nicely. Let me know what you think!

Here are some screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/Am0C0

And the world:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/vvivl ... s_Demo.zip