Hardcore Hoofsies made me do something evil

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
derekiv

Hardcore Hoofsies made me do something evil

Post by derekiv »

I just started a new BTW game for the first time in a long while. I'd forgotten about Hardcore Hoofsies, and approached a startled cow, only to have him remove half my health.

Suitably chastised, I went about my business elsewhere. Then the idea occurred to me: if I put the cow in a hole, would he still be able to reach me? For the purpose of science, I proceeded to dig a murder pit, pushed a cow in, and proceed to ax it a few question. To my pleasant surprise, the cow had no reply.
August West

Re: Hardcore Hoofsies made me do something evil

Post by August West »

Pretty sure they can still hit you. Why don't you try this with a few more cows, just for science?
derekiv

Post by derekiv »

I have a feeling that if you're careful, you shouldn't have to worry. I'll do more science one I'm not in the precarious early stages of the game.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I can vouch from experience that when there are quite a few moo moos in a hole they will find a way to turn your face into a projectile.

iirc the hole was only 3 deep. Science the crap outta this please :D
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I've personally had this be both successful and unsuccessful. Not really sure why sometimes I got hit and sometimes not. Either way I'm not sure why this is more evil than hunting the animals and killing them in the first place. What's more fun is watching the cows kick the chickens to death for you... ^.^
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I've personally had this be both successful and unsuccessful. Not really sure why sometimes I got hit and sometimes not. Either way I'm not sure why this is more evil than hunting the animals and killing them in the first place. What's more fun is watching the cows kick the chickens to death for you... ^.^
What is more fun is bow hunting. I really need to get around to plugging the holes (pun intended) in this one :)
derekiv

Post by derekiv »

FlowerChild wrote:What is more fun is bow hunting. I really need to get around to plugging the holes (pun intended) in this one :)

I've tried to start bow hunting, but it seems you need to get a hopper before you get a economical source of flint. So it looks like cows are off the menu for a little while.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

derekiv wrote: I've tried to start bow hunting, but it seems you need to get a hopper before you get a economical source of flint. So it looks like cows are off the menu for a little while.
How many arrows do you really need? Between the flint you just happen upon while mining, and the rotted arrows dropped by skeletons, you should have at least a minimal supply of arrows in the early game.

The intent was not that the player have a surplus of arrows and go on a global bovine extermination campaign, but that conservative use of them would allow you to boost your food supplies and work up to leather armor.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:What is more fun is bow hunting.
yes...yes it is.
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
derekiv

Post by derekiv »

I'm starting to get into iron (got a pick, sword, shears and almost a hoe), and I've only received four flint from drops. I try to avoid skeletons until I have armor, so I dont have much in the way of rotted arrows. Maybe I should get an iron shovel to get some more flint.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

derekiv wrote:I'm starting to get into iron (got a pick, sword, shears and almost a hoe), and I've only received four flint from drops. I try to avoid skeletons until I have armor, so I dont have much in the way of rotted arrows. Maybe I should get an iron shovel to get some more flint.
Once you start heading deeper digging out large sections of dirt and gravel is actually a fairly efficient way of finding caves systems and/or diamonds. One of the things I was trying to do with the hardcore hoofsies mechanic was to make that a little more rewarding by giving players some added candy as they dig through large areas. It winds up tying excavation to your ability to upgrade to leather armor, and no, it's not something you're supposed to be able to do immediately (you're still very early on in the progression).

Anyways, it's all essentially a moot point if people are just dropping cows into holes bypassing that whole thing, which is why I want to plug that gap in the design. It effectively eliminates all benefit to what I was trying to achieve with the feature. The bright side is that I already had contingency plans in place as I anticipated this being a potential loophole when I was first working on it ;)
Palisight

Post by Palisight »

Given FlowerChild's recent posts, I feel the need to report that I use sand as the preferred cow murder tool. I make 3 block high towers of dirt, push the cows against them, and suffocate them with sand

And for the record I've been using sand as the preferred murder tool for killing cows, sheep, pigs, chickens, and whenever possible for zombies, spiders, and skeletons for over 3 years now.

As of recently this practice may be considered "gamey" for cow murdering, but it actually feels "gamey" to not kill cows with sand when there is no in game reason not to and I kill everything else with sand
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:Once you start heading deeper digging out large sections of dirt and gravel is actually a fairly efficient way of finding caves systems and/or diamonds. One of the things I was trying to do with the hardcore hoofsies mechanic was to make that a little more rewarding by giving players some added candy as they dig through large areas. It winds up tying excavation to your ability to upgrade to leather armor, and no, it's not something you're supposed to be able to do immediately (you're still very early on in the progression).
I don't know about anyone else but I celebrate when I hit dirt or gravel in the top strata layer. Shovels are both far cheaper and more durable than picks. Gravel is also a much higher priority than dirt because you get twice as much speed boost while moving around above ground and it can be used to safely descend into caves. I have yet to pass it up before I had a semi-automated gravel smasher up and running.
Better is the enemy of Good