Decent Auto-Backup Utility

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dorugami

Decent Auto-Backup Utility

Post by Dorugami »

Right, so I'm not a big fan of third party programs when playing MC, but yesternight plunged me into chaos as a badly timed power outage plunged my main world into a smattering of corrupted chunks. in and around my base. Foolish person that I am, I tried to do some amateurish band-aid fixes which pretty much made entering the world impossible.

So I may be late in considering this, but is there a program that will autobackup my world save every hour or so and one that is compatible with BTW?
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
jorgebonafe

Re: Decent Auto-Backup Utility

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yes, I use something called McMyAdmin. Its pretty good, and free for servers with 10 players or less. It works with BTW.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I made a simple C# app that lets you back up and restore your world. I could set it up to do it every hour.... You want me to post it?

(C# = Only works on windows. I actually switched to playing on linux, and it's pretty easy to just set up an alias like "btwbackup" that backs up your world for you.)
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Yhetti wrote:I made a simple C# app that lets you back up and restore your world. I could set it up to do it every hour.... You want me to post it?

(C# = Only works on windows. I actually switched to playing on linux, and it's pretty easy to just set up an alias like "btwbackup" that backs up your world for you.)
Yeah man, I'd be interested in that!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Yhetti wrote:I made a simple C# app that lets you back up and restore your world. I could set it up to do it every hour.... You want me to post it?

Hells yeah, much obliged mate :D
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

robocopy is a command-line tool that backups a folder for you in Windows. Worth having a look at. Also fun: turn your backup folder into a git repository, so you can make snapshots of your world at certain points. That way, you can actually go back in time to some of your favorite moments. Like, what did my base look like when I was pre-iron and such :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Actually git is a good idea, I think that I am definitely going to do that with my current world.

Anyways, here is my little backup util, I don't use it anymore, so if anyone wants to play with the code, it is here. (yes, all in one file because its such a small app.)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Many thanks Gil and Yhetti, I'll take a look at both, see which one fits me best. I mostly play on Single Player though, so not entirely sure what 'git' is. I'm assuming it's for a server specific function at this point.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Git is a tool for collaborating with code. So yeah, you would have to learn how to use it which is probably a hassle