BTW Mempries as 4 Year anniversary aproaches

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jackatthekilns

BTW Mempries as 4 Year anniversary aproaches

Post by jackatthekilns »

Hey everyone,

I thought that sense the anniversary of BTW is coming up it would be fun to share our favorite memories. I was trying to think back to when I started playing the mod. So much has changed. As best I can tell I started sometime around version 4.8 and you could still get hemp from tall grass! So for me its been almost 2 years.

My favorite memory is something fairly mundane. I just love every time I find pumpkins. I get so excited at the promise of sustainable food.

So what are your favorite memories?
Ulfengaard

Re: BTW Mempries as 4 Year anniversary aproaches

Post by Ulfengaard »

I started with BTW near the beginning. Back before the implementation of most hardcore modes, I would think about designs for my machines all the time. I would use my breaks at work to jot down some Redstone circuit or machinery that had been rolling around in my brain that morning. I would get home and load up the game, grab the things I needed from storage, and start work. Probably my favorite part was finally getting the rickety contraption working. Man, what a feeling. Then, the fun wasn't over. I had to design a building around it: one which would be aesthetically pleasing and functional. Mind, even then, without many of the hardcore changes, BTW still wasn't easy, so all of this had to be accomplished with exceeding care. The machines could and would bite back (I'm looking at you, soulsand hopper), and creepers were all too happy to destroy an intricate circuit in progress.

I had a great time with BTW for as long as I could. Happy birthday, old buddy.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Lol. Before the implementation of most hardcore modes was not even close to the beginning. I started around the implementation of mining charges. At that time there were NO hardcore modes. Many people here have been around even longer. Close to the beginning would be before the implementation of the tech tree when BTW was just a few cool blocks. :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Hmm, not sure what version it was but I started back in beta 1.8.1. Then exclusively played since 1.2.5. I think my most memorable moment was when I came up with a machine that ground netherrack/produced soul urns/concentrated hellfire ingots. That sense of acomplishment in BTW even more so since the the hardcore changes is the best part.

Happy Anniversary BTW! <dances>
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Sarudak wrote:Lol.

Wasn't saying that the implementation of hardcore modes was close to the beginning.

I started close to the beginning.

The memory I chose to relate was shortly before the implementation of the hardcore modes.

Not sure why it was important for you to 'one-up' like that. We are just here sharing fun memories, man.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Guys...

While we're reminiscing, I'll share the post that got me started down this crazy road almost exactly 4 years ago, and which wound up turning into the first version of the mod a couple of weeks later:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mi ... a-bad-idea
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:... 'll share the post that got me started down this crazy road almost exactly 4 years ago...
Man, that first reply is classic. Little did Tenkin know... :D

EDIT: Scanning these first posts is hilarious. I can see where the exoskeleton began to form.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ulfengaard wrote: EDIT: Scanning these first posts is hilarious. I can see where the exoskeleton began to form.
Hehe...yup. I recently scanned over it as well when I was recently having a conversation about why I got into modding, and remembered that I had really never experienced anything like that before I wrote that first post.

Thought I was making a rational appeal...ended up in a bar brawl ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ah but you were making a rational appeal. You just didn't realize how rational appeals turn video game forums into bar brawls. ;)

It's weird that it was only 4 years ago that you started. On the one hand it seems like a long time. On the other hand it's hard to believe BTW didn't exist 4 years ago.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Another memory that I like to think about is The moment when MagikEh realized that spiders shoot webs. I had already been playing for a while when I started his Let's Play and it was fun to see and hear his reaction. I think that is something that BTW offers much more than vanilla, those ooo or AHHHH!!!! moments of joy or sheer terror.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Vioki's reaction to the Exorcist Wolf turning its head was priceless
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Vioki's reaction to the Exorcist Wolf turning its head was priceless
That it was. The overall reaction to their first encounter with hatsies was pretty darn good as well:

http://www.twitch.tv/vioki/c/2859558
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

Ulfengaard wrote: Man, that first reply is classic. Little did Tenkin know... :D
That response is second place on the List of Biggest Underestimations of What is About to Happen right behind Hirohito saying "How can they attack if they ain't got no boats left?" (paraphrasing of course).
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I've only been with the game a year and a half, but it's definitely one that I keep coming back to no matter what. My most memorable would probably be a foolish trip during the hardcore darkness revamp before I realized it sucked all light. Such fun memories wandering skeleton/creeper/zombie/beast infested jungles while the grue chewed on my ankles. Thanks for all the deaths FC, hope you deliver more quality content. :)
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

The BTW moment that sticks with me most has got to be when I first got my bat farm operational- and nearly threw up a little in my mouth. No other game has ever gotten such a visceral reaction out of me.

I had some idea of what to expect with the bat farming, but it wasn't until seeing it that I realized just how evil my character had become: subjecting creatures to all this horror and torture just so that I could wear better boots.

(The boots were pretty awesome though)
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I think I've been playing since beta 1.6?
It wasn't the first mod I'd played, but was certainly the first one I fell in love with- and the reason I still play MC today.

As for my favourite memory?
Those moments of pure stunning beauty and paralysing dread.
Spoiler
Show
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

jackatthekilns wrote: So what are your favorite memories?
That would be the original everflowing waves of cement of doom. That stuff was hilarious.
Also, the birth of the cauldron block. Sniff! So beautiful.
Showing Better than Wolves to my half-brother. "Is that a pot plantation?!" Priceless!
And finally, everything associated with this. That was an important part of the experience for me.

Overall, plenty of good times. Thanks for that, Flowerchild.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Man, I don't have the required memory to remember when i started, and I didn't start keeping all the files until later.

All I'm sure of is that I started while there were "turtles" as I'd occasionally read the forums and wondered what turtles were. Joined the forums some time after the end of turtles. Still not sure.

So much fun from the get go, a positive cause of world restart syndrome.

And this FC quote from the Minecraft forums is priceless. Good to know you/he hasn't changed.
Either that, or it clearly states that the public school system needs to focus more on written comprehension.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

No assless chaps love? :p

Also I fondly remember the introduction of bloodwood trees and how it blew my mind.

Other fond memories include the expansion of the block dispenser from 3x3 slot grid to 4x4, the epic introduction of the long awaited lens, helping name nether groth by pointing out the missed opportunity for an inside joke and having my mind blown by nether groth for good measure on top, the introduction of soul urns and how complicated their production seemed at the time, and the countless hours of fun trying to automate them..

The epic troll video supposedly introducing a new age, while what it really did was giving a good showcase of the aforementioned assless chaps :P

I even remember with a slight chuckle people getting annoyed at FC jumping a lot in the early btw showcase videos he did.

I also remember Battosay trying to say foul food and failing, constantly pronouncing it fool food :P

Raustblackdragon and his love for doggies struggling to treat them well in a mod that takes dark humourous stabs at animal abuse :p

But of course the fondest memory is my first days after first automating steel production in my very first world.. Do I need to say why? ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
kazerima

Post by kazerima »

I've had a couple rather meaningful experiences with Better Than Wolves.

The first one is from way back before the hardcore modes were added. I had been playing a lot of forge mods of the time (buildcraft, EE, industrial, etc.) usually with the goal of rushing to the top then using my top tech status to make whatever I wanted. The problem was, I'd keep getting bored once I'd ascended to the top of the tree. I'd stopped playing BTW some time earlier due to the frustrations of the tech tree being added just as I'd managed to make steel (with a hand crank no less!) but decided to give it another try due to my craving for a solid wood tech mod. After trying and failing to rush my way to the top quickly, I realized I didn't actually need to. The enjoyment of minecraft came from working your way up and building from the materials at your disposal. This profound reasoning completely changed how I played minecraft ever since and encouraged me to make beautiful buildings rather than crap crafter huts. Even out of game I managed to enjoy the journey more rather than trying to rush to the destination.

The second experience is one more of loss and change rather than discovery. Once the hardcore modes had been released, and I'd been playing them for quite some time, my computer suffered some problems and it was unavailable for a few weeks as it was repaired. Having cursed and grumbled through the early hardcore days of hardcore hunger, mining, and a couple others, I booted up my old backup comp with its older copy of better than wolves. Immediately, I felt a very different change in that older world from how I remembered. I'd had an entire cobblestone castle, chests, metal equipment, and a nether portal already while starting on the hunt for villages. I tried to play it for a bit, but I found what kind of game I'd enjoyed had changed during the times since then. The older version felt too easy, kind of like cheating, with too many resources gathered with little effort at all. I had to shut the game down and realized I couldn't play better than wolves without the hardcore modes anymore. It just felt wrong, cheaty, and a little bit grindy. I was glad to have my other comp back again after that to continue my hardcore respawn world and never complained of the difficulty again.
FlowerChild wrote:BANG! BANG! BANG!!!!! AHHHHHH!!!! GET OUT OF FUCKING MY HEAD! HIRE A FUCKING GAME DESIGNER! Fuck.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

Was reading through that first thread, and am curious if this post:
No u.

Im going to make a 2x2 shaft that dispenses dogs on the click of a button. Press button < get="" dog="">< wear="" it="" out="" untill="" it="" dies="">< get="" new="">

Industrial sized dog dispensers...
Had anything to do with inspiring any of the features for wolves? :P

As for the topic, I have to say that my favorite memories have been, by far, designing mob traps. In particular, I absolutely loved designing the tentacled nightmare that was my first ever item sorting system, and then making it look at least somewhat purdy afterwards.
I was also quite proud of independently coming up with the piston conveyor as a waterless design for a nether farm.

I should also note that I have yet to get to the End in BTW, and therefore have yet to reach steel. I'm looking foreward to the sense of accomplishment of automating all of the various materials necessary.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Hard to remember when I started, it was probably after I watched some youtuber looking for a good mod to play.

I started not to long before all the hardcore mods.

Favorite Memories the looks on other player faces when I introduced them to the hatties, the demon dogs and sky bound sheep... The little horrors and wonder in this lovely game. While I do play other mods sometimes none have the sort of pull back that BTW has.

Though I also love my villager interment camp... "I tried to build you a nice village. I tried to keep you comfortable. How do you repay me? You manage to get the 2 max level villagers eaten by a zombie even though the whole building was enclosed and lighted. These 1x1x2 boxes are of your own making!"
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I started BTW after a muckup with Forge on my client basically made my modded world unplayable.
BTW: Incompatible with Forge quickly came up on the list of non-forge mods. This was MC 1.2.5, some time before HC buckets. And very long before it dropped modloader and compatibility with a lot of mods.

I quickly dropped in BTW and every non-forge mod I still had. Started messing around with things. I was awed by the cauldron and its free cooking ability. Also, boiled eggs. I really loved my boiled eggs.

After rapidly moving up the tech tree with my ridiculous mod-mastery and roundabout means of doing things, I arrived at steel tech and quickly started automating things like grinding. My first autogrinder was a giant mishmash of turntables, dispensers, hoppers and some item magnetism for working out kinks. It was the size of a modern full-sized mobfarm. My first automated machine. Lovely crudeness. This was the first serious memory, for the me who was learning the beginnings of automation.

Second Memory was still in this over-modded world. I built a Logs-to-Gears toggle autosaw to automate my woodwork. I didn't know much about item elevation back then. Again, another "foreign" mod helped me. I floated logs to the top of a glass machine the height of a mountain in green goo, then ran it through a series of BDs, saws, hoppers and piston gates to make wood. This was pre-HC Buckets and HC buoyancy.

Due to some technical difficulties once 1.3 rolled out (e.g. not running an official minecraft client), I was off the update roll for a bit.
come MC 1.4.7, I finally purchased a minecraft account and the first thing I picked up was BTW. Again, I modded it to death. I liked mish-mashing mods and content. I tried HC buckets for the first time. it was really amusing. I lived with it. Lack of portability aside, it made water physics matter. I discovered swamps made for great fortifications, due to water barriers. My first water tower was messy. I grew sugar cane on every branch of its dirt canals. I built an autokiln. I couldn't get it to turn off properly.

I tunneled in the nether. I made a few outposts. I ended up under an ocean. I told the ocean to go f*** itself. I built an elevator to a handmade skymass above the clouds. floating over said ocean. I still think floating anything over an ocean makes it at least 50% cooler.

I went to multiplayer. I met people. I ended up playing to 5am on my first night in BTW multiplayer. It was fun. I got to see what other people did with BTW. I could show others what I did. The whitestone temple I wanted to build would have an audience.

Slowly, BTW changed. HC modes appeared, one after another. I lost mod after mod in the ensuing breakdown. I still enjoyed the core of my BTW fun, the machinery.

I changed. I learned how to deal with losses. It helped that on a server, the only mods you could use were UI ones. I still miss my flying reindeer mounts, but I loved the windmill and waterwheel more.

The Early Game changed. I dreaded ever going back there. I like my power. I focused even more on building.

I was lost. The community I wanted to work with ended up not being a community anymore. I retreated to my hermitage. I was lost.

I decided to return to my roots, or whatever was left of it. I started playing alone again. I lived through The Early Game. It was hard. Not as hard as I expected, though.

I tried to introduce BTW to a close cousin. There was hope for me again. I found someone I could work with. My community.

I joined another server. I reconnected with old friends. I brought my new convert along. I taught him what I could.

I failed. My convert was not strong enough. I lost sight of BTW once again.

I grew up. A little bit. I had things to do. Work. Money. I had less time for BTW. I stopped.

I still live. I still have BTW. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

One day, I will return. but that day is not now. Godspeed be with you, my brethren.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Last night I got a new great memory. I just saw Lac's creative use of an elevator.

https://youtu.be/Vom0fNJV2TY

I laughed so hard I peed a little.
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

One of my best memories would be the Edolas server itself. It started out as a normal server for the BTW community (pre-smp), but switched to BTW as soon as SMP was out. I had a lot of fun there, even though there were some issues at times. Some amazing buildings and machines were created on the server, and it was cool to check those out and get inspired from to build my own things.

On a technical level, I never really build anything amazing on the server myself. My main achievement was building the giant water pump tower. The amount of precision and time that went into getting all those sidings placed properly.. pff. :D

I met some cool people through the mod and the community. Although I am not very active these days, the mod is always in the back of my mind when I think of Minecraft. I love mechanical stuff and creating things. Minecraft without BTW is lego without Technic. It's fun to build something without it, but it just lacks the finesse and details it brings. :)