creative mode + random seed = cheating

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
dyrewulf

creative mode + random seed = cheating

Post by dyrewulf »

When I created my current world I typed in a seed in the settings. Later when I was wanting to do some testing outside my normal play I made a couple quick creative mode worlds when it occurred to me that using the same seed would let me do things safely in creative which if successful I could then apply in my survival world (I was doing some experimentation with original spawn chunks). Shortly after putting that into practice though I began to see how this could be further exploited to locate villages, temples and the like without having to dangerously explore the world in survival. Heck, while not easy, it could even be used as a way to get back to your base after hardcore spawning if you can simply locate a notable feature in the landscape and are willing to take the time to fly around and find that same feature in creative (a compass being easily at hand in creative).

Obviously it's easy enough, if someone is aware and wants to avoid this temptation, to just not use creative mode, or to not use a seed for their world, but having discovered this, and knowing how restrictive and anti-cheating BTW has become, I thought I would share it and maybe it's something that could be eliminated, either by disabling the use of seeds, or by eliminating creative mode altogether. Both of these are quite radical, and possibly not worth it, but maybe some other means exist to minimize the usefulness of this technique. Perhaps structures could generate under different parameters for survival and creative, or maybe simply eliminate the use of a random seed in creative mode only (seems like an easy fix).
RalphKastro

Re: creative mode + random seed = cheating

Post by RalphKastro »

Why not just not cheat?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're making suggestions in other forums disguised as other types of posts. Please stop.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

All this assuming that the game is forcing you to do something.

Most of the people who play BTW do so because they enjoy the challenge and creative concept of FC's game design, not because they want to feel forced into some aspect of rigid tomfoolery. If you want to cheat your game, that's on you. If you want to cheat your game knowing that's not how the creator intended for it to be played then that just makes you a bit of a silly nut for me.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

I find it funny that, for once, the "If you don't like it, don't use it" argument actually has a valid use.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abculatter_2 wrote:I find it funny that, for once, the "If you don't like it, don't use it" argument actually has a valid use.
Well, don't get me wrong: I hate creative mode and if I had built the game from scratch, I never would have included it other than as a debugging tool I would have made sure to disable before each release.

However, given it is there, and given I don't actively support it, yes: if you don't like it... ;)