Stake and Hearty Stew

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dorugami

Stake and Hearty Stew

Post by Dorugami »

So I have two points of interest that have been gnawing away at me, namely...I've just discovered the aesthetic beauty of Stakes. What do you guys use them for? Before I only used them to mark out plots of land and stuff, but there are far easier ways to do that I found.

And are there any thoughts on hearty stew? I know it's one of the most if not THE most efficient food source out there, but do you find it worth the extra slot you eventually waste on storing the bowls? For long trips outfield I generally prefer having all my slots and so use Kebabs or Sandwiches, but I've never actually compared the efficiency of it.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
icynewyear

Re: Stake and Hearty Stew

Post by icynewyear »

Bowls are cheap. Throw them away if its an issue.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

For long trips out I take 2 stacks of flour, and rely on hunting to provide enough meat for sandwiches.

Stakes are pretty good for creating suspended objects; fancy lighting, 'blinds' over the windows, bridges/platforms ect.
Also they combine rather well with axles and fences.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

icynewyear wrote:Bowls are cheap. Throw them away if its an issue.
Smash em like a manly man?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ion

Post by ion »

apart for fun making them i never used the bowl recipes for survival. pork or steak dinner is my food of choice or kebab if i get the carrots before. for long trips i get about 4 stacks of dinner with me and literally sprint most of the time.
and before village tier 4 stacks of ham and eggs are best.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I guess the bowl cost really is a non issue by the time you get tree farms and saws, still it feels a bit...wasteful. I suppose it's still a good staple around the base though. I've tried playing with stakes as cranes, handles, and bells though, it's a really nice and underused piece. Makes the buildings look authentically wooden.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
ion

Post by ion »

post pic of the stake use. never used them before even when i needed to get real distances. stakes i just another item that's here but i don't use at all
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

This Bridge I made with stakes and string

So I'm sort of addicted to meaningful aesthetic uses for stakes and string. They make for very nice suspension cables.
Note: string does not obstruct movement. Therefore, you can walk/jump off the bridge easily.

last picture is my hoard of string and stakes for whatever future project I can use them in.

Opinion on Bowls: I have too many eggs to eat. Rarely make stews. During long journeys in search of stuff, I prefer flour+furnace like EtherealWrath. Inventory space is a premium when gathering new stuff. Conclusion: Bowls are irrelevant.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

DiamondArms wrote:This Bridge I made with stakes and string

So I'm sort of addicted to meaningful aesthetic uses for stakes and string. They make for very nice suspension cables.
Note: string does not obstruct movement. Therefore, you can walk/jump off the bridge easily.

last picture is my hoard of string and stakes for whatever future project I can use them in.

Opinion on Bowls: I have too many eggs to eat. Rarely make stews. During long journeys in search of stuff, I prefer flour+furnace like EtherealWrath. Inventory space is a premium when gathering new stuff. Conclusion: Bowls are irrelevant.
That is gorgeous. I love it.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Gilberreke wrote:
icynewyear wrote:Bowls are cheap. Throw them away if its an issue.
Smash em like a manly man?
Opa!
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

DiamondArms wrote:So I'm sort of addicted to meaningful aesthetic uses for stakes and string.
This is just great work and creative! Even when I try to be super aesthetic I can't come close to this type of stuff.

Thank you and all the artistic types out there that push the envelope to bring us eye candy in all things :)
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

I suppose I should start using stakes. Looking at wire's bridge, it's one of the few aesthetic blocks I have yet to really discover it seems.

I never make hearty stew. The bowls are one thing, and mushrooms and flour are another. I tend to use lots of wheat, and I've never had a good auto mushroom farm. Mushrooms are a pain in the butt.
ion

Post by ion »

grow and chop big mushrooms
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

ion wrote:grow and chop big mushrooms
No. It's a pain in the butt.

I don't like harvesting anything, really, but mushrooms are one I can do without.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

How many mushrooms will you use living off stew anyway?
Automatic mushroom farm isn't too hard to build- certainly a lot simpler than wheat farming.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

We made our chicken farm too good, so when going exploring I tend to only bring cooked eggs and a flame sword.
As I go along I stab pigs for cooked pork and make ham and eggs as I need it.

I haven't gotten around to making anything aesthetic with stakes yet.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

EtherealWrath wrote:How many mushrooms will you use living off stew anyway?
Automatic mushroom farm isn't too hard to build- certainly a lot simpler than wheat farming.
I've built auto-wheat a few times, but never had much luck with a mushroom farm. Want to share a good design?
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Spoiler
Show
The simplest mushroom farm I know of is just a sloped field that you flood daily; washing the shrooms into a collection channel.
I have no idea what the optimum field width/inclination is- or the ideal number of 'seeder' mushrooms that don't get washed out.

If you want something high tech, a lens will detect growth and the bright light should then uproot the mushroom.
(haven't tested this idea yet, but it should work)