What infrastructure do you focus on?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ThePowerofTower

What infrastructure do you focus on?

Post by ThePowerofTower »

I always build roads. Everywhere. By day three I'm occasionally challenging wolves and making paths through forests, tundra forests, plains, mountains, etc. And bridges.
DiamondArms

Re: What infrastructure do you focus on?

Post by DiamondArms »

ThePowerofTower wrote:I always build roads. Everywhere. By day three I'm occasionally challenging wolves and making paths through forests, tundra forests, plains, mountains, etc. And bridges.
I have a tendency to favour tunneling in the nether and popping down portals every 2 or 3 sections into the side of the tunnel. It doesn't help that I also tend to end up in tunnels under the sea.
GalaxyTreader

Post by GalaxyTreader »

Roads that are lit, portals. On a local scale, I've made some pretty nice aqueducts for my residence. I don't usually centralize redstone or power sources, not usually worth it and can cause more resources and lag in the long run. Pathways are good in that they're the infrastructure that you can cheaply make early game. Recently I worked on a canal to connect two big oceans...not as important in late game with portals, but still fun to do and cool looking.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Watchtowers with a cache inside as soon as the nearest one goes out of sight.

It is fun to adjust the design each time.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I have none really yet, but I have plans to make a railway system, where you can go to various stations, store minecarts in the stations (so you could use the design on multiplayer) and have main train stations around the world. And maybe use pigs, I dont know. Has anyone tried to use pigs as a regular mean of transport?
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Sockthing wrote:I have none really yet, but I have plans to make a railway system, where you can go to various stations, store minecarts in the stations (so you could use the design on multiplayer) and have main train stations around the world. And maybe use pigs, I dont know. Has anyone tried to use pigs as a regular mean of transport?
Not sure about pigs as a regular transport.
1) Lures for directing the pigs are consumed during use so a large stock of carrots is needed at each station and maybe even on the rider.
2) Anywhere a pig can ride to is also a place Steve can walk to. Unless you want to suffocate a bit.
3) If you have carrots, there's a good chance you can spare the food to do long walks.
4) For the most bit, minecarts are easy to setup for regularly used routes. Irregularly shaped routes can be accommodated or simply walked.
5) you can shove a minecart into an enderbeacon. you can't shove a pig in there. Moving carriages around may be a hassle.

I'm pretty sure Pigs/Riders have their uses, but I don't think regular transport is a thing they're particularly good at.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I use pigs when I get too fat.
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

Sockthing wrote:I have none really yet, but I have plans to make a railway system, where you can go to various stations, store minecarts in the stations (so you could use the design on multiplayer) and have main train stations around the world. And maybe use pigs, I dont know. Has anyone tried to use pigs as a regular mean of transport?
I tried to make a pork superhighway once, I don't remember if it was on a server or what. And it was before the changes to villages, so I already had tons of carrots. I just like roads, so a stone brick superhighway for porks to run on? Dude!
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

I used to focus first on defending a huge territory... but then I realized it was a waste of time, torches and stone. Nowadays, my main focus is a road network in a half day perimeter around The Capital (main base), with some markings (2 planks in angle + torch) pointing to the roads.

If I create new settlements (smaller bases) because I was portal-hopping or died - I'll eventually do the same road network for them.
--Who do you think you are, War?
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I'm generally building roads, and digging out riverbanks
- boats are pretty decent, but rivers often have a few tight spots that need fixing.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Mud

Post by Mud »

Experimenting with finding what my bare minimums are in terms of space and resources to get what I need for progression without limiting my fun too much. Also planning structures beforehand as not to waste time and resources in my survival world.
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

I like building roads and such. But found a nice new way to claim land with minimal lighting.
Though later game it is nice to build cosmetic buildings and such. With finally claiming enough villagers, it is nice to have a lovely area to build for them.
Melgamesh

Post by Melgamesh »

X_X
chai

Post by chai »

I definitely spend a lot of time on roads, with little wayposts here and there so I don't get stuck running for my life too often in the likely event I get overenthusiastic in my construction. It's a great feeling to slowly expand your base of operations outwards that way, and an even greater feeling to suddenly realize "wait, I'm here‽" when you come across a road you started from another base.

My favorite infrastructure to work on, though, is aqueducts, particularly aerial ones. At first, they'll be simple, but as my base gets more developed, I'll often replace any dirt blocks with stone or glass, build totally unnecessary support pillars, knock out walls to create nice waterfalls, etc.
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

I generally make packed earth/gravel paths everywhere but don't spend too much time making them pretty roads - I go way more for functionality than aesthetics. I focus from the beginning on survival and sustenance, therefore small paths and functional farms are my go-to infrastructure. Even heading into the late game, I generally don't beautify anything. MC for me, especially BTW, has always been more of a "let's see what cool new thing I can make," as opposed to how pretty I can make it.
I definitely do waypoints though all throughout my spawn area - the more I build up a base, the more of my HCS area I mark with small outposts, food/stone chests, and signs pointing my way back so that I can always recover fairly quickly (I love HCS up until I get to the crucible age of technology, then I begin to view it as more of an annoyance/setback than a fresh start haha).
Mark88fan

Post by Mark88fan »

Animal pens (cows and chickens) then making a pumpkin farm so as to have a steady food source.
morsmaestro

Post by morsmaestro »

This makes me realize I don't really spend a lot of time on infrastructure. At least, not in any way I can generalize. All of my builds are different, and each one has different needs. I don't always have multiple buildings above ground, so I don't always build roads per se. Whether I use aqueducts really depends on the environment, and I almost never centralize mechanical power as its too expensive, at least the way I normally play. I don't like railways except in late game as I'd rather save the iron for other things, namely screws. Nothing else I do really counts as infrastructure.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I have some roads around my base connecting the often traveled areas. The most developed piece of infrastructure is probably my nether rail that gets me about 3/4 of the way to my village base. Other than that I have markers connecting respawns, but I haven't died a lot so currently there are only three trails, one of which leads to my stronghold.
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

On my server (I play with two friends) we operate a self imposed rule of aesthetics, we can't move up in BTW tech until we have built a suitable building for said tech. So for instance we can't build a mill stone until we have a windmill building, no enchanting table until we have a library, no potions until we have an "alchemy lab" no animals until a barn exists and so on. Aesthetics are as important to us as progressing through the tech tree. This helps us feel more of a sense of accomplishment when we do advance in tech. A village also almost naturally forms as a result, we build a separate building for most things. As a result of this we've actually manage to build quite a lovely looking town!

When it comes to the inevitable death, we will build a very basic safe house, build a pillar on a nearby hill and usually set off to find home by the 3rd or 4th day after building up a few supplies to stock the safehouse with. We don't generally end up building many roads, at least in the early stages.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Needs more necro.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Needs more screenshots of said infrastructure.

Mesh

Post by Mesh »

I posted a bunch of screenshots of our town in the Show us Your Builds thread