[SPOILERS] Hardcore Hunger for Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
DaveYanakov

Re: [SPOILERS] Hardcore Hunger for Wolves

Post by DaveYanakov »

FlowerChild wrote:
DaveYanakov wrote:If they need to poo before getting feral hungry keeping them in a well lit area should help to slow the resource drain. I will be experimenting with this
No, I'll save you the trouble and let you know I took that into account ;)

Poo and the various state changes are decoupled.
I appreciate that
Better is the enemy of Good
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

You can just smell the death waiting. Decided since I can't figure how to cure them, to try getting some tasty liver instead.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

I am unable to try this as I have just started a new world, but does anyone know if the gimp suit keeps an angry and starved dog still? I did have a feral dog and had to kill it... but it still could be fed and would poop... so if I could just keep it still I wouldn't have to kill the next one. :/
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Xaedblade wrote:I am unable to try this as I have just started a new world, but does anyone know if the gimp suit keeps an angry and starved dog still? I did have a feral dog and had to kill it... but it still could be fed and would poop... so if I could just keep it still I wouldn't have to kill the next one. :/
To my knowledge, gimp suits don't go on wolfies. Nice idea though. If you want it to keep still, box it with top-half-slabs and cap the box properly. it shouldn't escape, plus its still accessable for feeding and poop collection. dunno if it can despawn though. Also, be very careful when doing maintenance.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DiamondArms wrote:To my knowledge, gimp suits don't go on wolfies. Nice idea though. If you want it to keep still, box it with top-half-slabs and cap the box properly. it shouldn't escape, plus its still accessable for feeding and poop collection. dunno if it can despawn though. Also, be very careful when doing maintenance.
Not sure if it will poop at all when boxed like that.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ion

Post by ion »

a hungry wolf would take 2 pieces of meat to be full and also the hunger is not related to poop anymore so they can go starving mad. i'll try some potions at them but until now nothing that i gave them seemed to placate their hunger. still the two initial wolves aren't eating each other and still have the urge to kill me.
as i really don't care to figure out the mechanics, mostly because i have lot's of dung blocks to get me to the end of Minecraft i just packed them into nice blocks and rest i put a blade on them.Better that Wolves has become Better without Wolves. i'll continue testing on those two when i finish a necromancer tower.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Well I can say that the wolf who went mad never calmed down no matter how much meat I gave him... but he did keep pooing... the only problem was I broke a block to try to get the poo and let him out :/... Managed to kill him and get one poo out of it.

So if you are at the stage of hoppers you may be able to still keep your raging mad dog... and get poo, just makes it more dangerous..

My second dog I have managed to keep fed but I am drastically killing off most of the wildlife to do so.... And I am enjoying the challenge :D even getting poo is now something that you have to make sure you are ready for :D

One question though... I just bought a server and started playing it does anyone know if dogs go hungry when you are off the server and the dogs are in the spawn chunks? I died and hardcore spawned so I wanna make sure my dog is still friendly whenever I go back...
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The spawn chunks are always loaded. Keep an axe handy
Better is the enemy of Good
ion

Post by ion »

not true Dave. i had about 20 wolves at spawn, they just vanished. none of the other animals where destroyed by them.
is an angry wolf considered a aggressive mob by the game, thus able to despawn when going away? this i don't know
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:not true Dave. i had about 20 wolves at spawn, they just vanished. none of the other animals where destroyed by them.
is an angry wolf considered a aggressive mob by the game, thus able to despawn when going away? this i don't know
I thought this bit would be known by now, but wolves starve to death. It's not just a matter of them getting aggro like it used to be.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

not sure if its been tested, but can you breed feral wolves?
On the off chance that a feeding has been missed, or some case where you are currently unable to maintain your pet(s) sanity, can you breed a feral wolf or two to get sane puppies that can replace the ferals?
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

OK so I've been keeping my doggie well fed and seem to be getting twice as much poop... like I fed him and then he pooped... and he did not eat... and then he pooped again!

So I guess we get twice the poop! dung beacons here we come lol!
Rob

Post by Rob »

DiamondArms wrote:not sure if its been tested, but can you breed feral wolves?
On the off chance that a feeding has been missed, or some case where you are currently unable to maintain your pet(s) sanity, can you breed a feral wolf or two to get sane puppies that can replace the ferals?
Yes, but the parents immediately eat the young on birth. So you get no viable offspring. :-P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: Yes, but the parents immediately eat the young on birth. So you get no viable offspring. :-P
Hehe...no, but that's actually not a bad idea :)
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...no, but that's actually not a bad idea :)
That sounds like FC, try to put on a 'gimp suit' and then do something mad with the creatures. maybe you can put 'breeding harnesses' on wolves then or something (can't verify that myself atm, because im still not at this Point in the tech tree. But I'm working on it)
Or maybe the effect of 'Nether Portals' negates the beast effect.
Well I should go and make my way up the tree so I can do my own testing instead of bothering you with my ideas.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, I think one of the reasons I like that idea so much is the whole "wolves are vile, cats are perfect thing".

It's a really nice twist on that theme, because as far as I know wolves don't eat their young, but cats certainly do ;)
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Ok so I checked my dog again and this time there was 3 poos for me to collect... is anyone else getting the same thing? And has anyone gotten more than 3 poos at a time with one dog? I'm wondering if it is a random or if you get more poo from keeping your dog fed longer...
devak

Post by devak »

Xaedblade wrote:Ok so I checked my dog again and this time there was 3 poos for me to collect... is anyone else getting the same thing? And has anyone gotten more than 3 poos at a time with one dog? I'm wondering if it is a random or if you get more poo from keeping your dog fed longer...
Maybe FC added hardcore digestion, now featuring constipation?
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Huge necro but I feel there are many things missing out of this thread. I hope FC wants to give us more insight but here is what we have so far...

* Some of these may still need to be confirmed.
- Old news but never feed wolf chops to wolves as they turn aggressive.
- FC Stated "pay attention to how they look. I've added a couple of textures in there to differentiate between several behavioral states which they now have. Both their level of aggression and their diet will vary based on those states."
- Note: The above mentions not only visual differences but behavioral ones as well.
- DimondArms Stated "the biggest identifier is not the texture(although that was slightly disturbing the first time I noticed it), but the growling. Oh the nasty growling."
- FC Stated "No, I'll save you the trouble and let you know I took that into account ;) Poo and the various state changes are decoupled." This was in reference to DaveYanakov's "If they need to poo before getting feral hungry keeping them in a well lit area should help to slow the resource drain."
- Angry "tamed" wolves will still eat and poop.
- Angry wolves can still be turned into the beast.
- FC Stated "but wolves starve to death"
- Once turned angry, ex-tamed wolves cannot be placated... which I find odd as almost any dog can be reformed into trusting stupid humans again with time.

Reasons for Hardcore Wolf Hunger:
- FC stated "They're a serious drain on your resources early game and can eat you out of house and home"
- To move shit farms yum further down the tech tree.
- Move mass farming into requiring full automation with automated meat or kibble.
- Any other reasons I'm missing?

Questions
- Do these changes happen only when a wolf is tamed?
- Will angry wild wolves die from starvation?
- Can angry wild wolves still be placated then tamed?
- How many states do tamed wolves now have?
- What do the various states look like?
- What are the several behavioral states?
- What is the timing of these states?
- Does light level still affect shit time?
- Does light level affect the timing of the hunger state changes?
- Is it at ALL possible to placate angry ex-tamed wolves?
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rawny wrote: - Once turned angry, ex-tamed wolves cannot be placated... which I find odd as almost any dog can be reformed into trusting stupid humans again with time.
Aaaaaahhhhh! Realism argument on the BTW forums! I'm melting....
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Besides which, wolves != dogs... and I'm pretty sure re-taming a feral wolf that you had somehow managed to tame in the first place (what do they even put in those bones..?) is not going to be as simple as retraining a dog...
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

FlowerChild wrote: Aaaaaahhhhh! Realism argument on the BTW forums! I'm melting....
I facepalmed myself... er... at myself... after reading your perfect response. I'm still laughing!

EDIT: I know better *still snickering* I can't edit and delete it now!
EDIT2: WoW! I just did a search on my name and my first post was Apr 01, 2012!!! I REALLY should have known better LOL!
Last edited by Rawny on Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rawny wrote: I facepalmed myself... er... at myself... after reading your perfect response. I'm still laughing!
If you followed the past couple of years of me dealing with realism obsessed rocketry enthusiasts over on the KSP forums, it would be even funnier ;)

In retrospect, given my views on realism, KSP was an extremely odd choice for me to decide to mod. I think I have a large disconnect with most of the community there as I view it as a *game* that's interesting because of its deep somewhat reality-based rule set (in other words, I just like the depth and wouldn't give a rat's ass if the rules were based on reality or were entirely fictitious), whereas I think many there are looking for a sim and are just annoyed by game elements within it :)