[SPOILERS] Hardcore Hunger for Wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ion

[SPOILERS] Hardcore Hunger for Wolves

Post by ion »

my wolves after getting hungry for few days first they got feral on me. i was smart and just dig a hole before happening. the problem is that now that they are feral i can't seem to placate their hunger. i did throw them some meat (chicken) but they are still angry. i'll try some live piglets and if not good i'll sacrifice myself to the wolf god.
how can i placate their hunger and make them love me again?
Mud

Re: [SPOILERS] Hardcore Hunger for Wolves

Post by Mud »

I'm out of town atm.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with wolves in their base that haven't been fed in ages; has anyone logged in after updating to find their wolves immediately feral, or is there a grace period?
ion

Post by ion »

there is a grace period.
Spoiler
Show
after being fed they stay like so until they poop, after they are hungry for a day or two don't know yet, then they change texture and go starving and after a day or two they go feral like the hungry wolves from the forests
Jurnal entry day 2:
I gave them a yummy piglet alive raised with only the sweetest food. Those bastards ignored him. I think that they are after my blood.
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Maybe try feeding them a villager? Since they think villagers are rather tasty and all...
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I had to kill yeller :(
Nothing was satiating his hunger being so angry. Looks like kibble is very valuable again.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

I had 5 wolves so put them in a pit to observe the hunger. Takes a couple of days from first logging in with the new update for them to go feral.

Fed them a few times but could not tame them.

I then left them unattended, now they are all gone so they either suffocated in the walls or ripped each other to shreds. Not sure which.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:I had to kill yeller :(
lol :)
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

Magick_Miner wrote:I then left them unattended, now they are all gone so they either suffocated in the walls or ripped each other to shreds. Not sure which.
The ones I left hungry disappeared, as well. They weren't in the same pen together, and one of them had plenty of room. I wonder if they simply starved to death.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

SerraNova wrote:
Magick_Miner wrote:I then left them unattended, now they are all gone so they either suffocated in the walls or ripped each other to shreds. Not sure which.
The ones I left hungry disappeared, as well. They weren't in the same pen together, and one of them had plenty of room. I wonder if they simply starved to death.
Probably, hardcore hunger when added to BTW for the player made it so you can die from starvation, when you can't actually die from it in vanilla.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Judging by the noises coming from one of my cages
Show
a wolf will turn on his brethren if he's hungry enough.
I never saw what happened, it was over in a few seconds- with one wolf remaining and no trace of the deceased.
Spoiler
Show
Never feed wolf chops to a puppy.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

Still messing around with this myself. One person had his wolves turn, so we pinned them down and tested out a few things. Still no results. We even sacrificed a villager to them.
Oh well, I've kept mine happy. Though I hate that before this update I was breeding them like crazy. My sword is going to get a lot of wolf blood on it now.
GuySkyline

Post by GuySkyline »

Z_Evil wrote:Still messing around with this myself. One person had his wolves turn, so we pinned them down and tested out a few things. Still no results. We even sacrificed a villager to them.
Oh well, I've kept mine happy. Though I hate that before this update I was breeding them like crazy. My sword is going to get a lot of wolf blood on it now.
Why spoil the wolves? Turn them in building blocks while you can. They will love you forever!
Mud

Post by Mud »

I was a day's journey from my base at original spawn when I installed this update. I arrived home to find my dogs had turned feral and eaten all my sheep and chickens.

HChoofsies made me want to start a new world, and HCwolves has given me a good enough reason to do so.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mud wrote: HChoofsies made me want to start a new world, and HCwolves has given me a good enough reason to do so.
Synergy! :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I've never managed to do it myself but I've been told it is possible to placate wild wolves. Is anyone else interested in doing the research to see if HCWH affect all wolves or just the tamed ones?
Better is the enemy of Good
Rob

Post by Rob »

DaveYanakov wrote:I've never managed to do it myself but I've been told it is possible to placate wild wolves. Is anyone else interested in doing the research to see if HCWH affect all wolves or just the tamed ones?

On a recent recording session on Icyopolis, a feral wolf bum rushed me and my pigs as I was bringing them home. He was calmed after one pig murder. I don't know how hungry or HUNGRY he was though. So probably not good science data.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

DaveYanakov wrote:I've never managed to do it myself but I've been told it is possible to placate wild wolves. Is anyone else interested in doing the research to see if HCWH affect all wolves or just the tamed ones?
Possible. During Pre-Beast era, I went wolf taming with a few stacks of kibble and 2 stacks of bones. toss kibble and let them eat it. Tame with bones. Find more wolves. Repeat.

In another world,
Acquired 2 wolves early on, due to some luck. only have some chickens and very slow pumpkins.
My wolves havent gone feral on me yet, but I'm rapidly running out of meat.
Current Train of thought:
How do I keep wolves? Can't feed 2 wolves consistently until wheat or kibble, but both are going to take too long to get before they turn feral on me.
All I've heard is "Keep wolves outside chunk load range so they don't get hungry". Is that the only way to keep wolves before renewable meat?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DiamondArms wrote:How do I keep wolves? Can't feed 2 wolves consistently until wheat or kibble, but both are going to take too long to get before they turn feral on me.
All I've heard is "Keep wolves outside chunk load range so they don't get hungry". Is that the only way to keep wolves before renewable meat?
It's rough. They're a serious drain on your resources early game and can eat you out of house and home if you aren't careful. I certainly wouldn't recommend keeping more than one, and even then, you're going to need frequent hunting trips to keep it as a pet.

This is the intent of course. Wolves can be a powerful ally if you take them hunting with you, but that now comes at quite a cost, and keeping a whole pack of them around you is now quite impractical. Sure, you can often tame a wolf on your first or second (more likely if you find bones on the 2nd morning) day, and that will make some aspects easier, but you're also going to have a very hard time keeping you both fed which serves to balance that.

There are also a few balancing mechanisms in place to offset all of the above somewhat, which I'll leave to players to discover on their own. One hint I will give though is to pay attention to how they look. I've added a couple of textures in there to differentiate between several behavioral states which they now have. Both their level of aggression and their diet will vary based on those states.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

FlowerChild wrote: There are also a few balancing mechanisms in place to offset all of the above somewhat, which I'll leave to players to discover on their own. One hint I will give though is to pay attention to how they look. I've added a couple of textures in there to differentiate between several behavioral states which they now have. Both their level of aggression and their diet will vary based on those states.
I've...noticed. Then again, the biggest identifier is not the texture(although that was slightly disturbing the first time I noticed it), but the growling. Oh the nasty growling.

Sad bit is that right before the update, I tamed 2 wolves and thought,"Hey, lets get a third wolf for backup reasons."
I can't tell if this is bad timing coincidence or I have bad betting decisions.
Will probably at least kill one of them to reduce upkeep, but on the fence on how to keep the other two. I want to breed more in the future after all.

Maybe I should just break down and turn all available surfaces into pumpkin farms. Chicken breeding is now a bigger priority.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If they need to poo before getting feral hungry keeping them in a well lit area should help to slow the resource drain. I will be experimenting with this
Better is the enemy of Good
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

DaveYanakov wrote:If they need to poo before getting feral hungry keeping them in a well lit area should help to slow the resource drain. I will be experimenting with this
Lol.. I love that, now the wolves can turn on you, people might start regretting leaving them in a dark dank cell...

What goes around...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:If they need to poo before getting feral hungry keeping them in a well lit area should help to slow the resource drain. I will be experimenting with this
No, I'll save you the trouble and let you know I took that into account ;)

Poo and the various state changes are decoupled.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Not that this is an option most would like to consider. But, you can just mercy kill the wolves. Then, go out for more after you are able to actually sustain them. You don't need more then 10 or so dung to last you into the mid game. So keep them around until you have enough poo. It's not like there aren't tons of them to go tame later.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Rob wrote:Not that this is an option most would like to consider. But, you can just mercy kill the wolves. Then, go out for more after you are able to actually sustain them. You don't need more then 10 or so dung to last you into the mid game. So keep them around until you have enough poo. It's not like there aren't tons of them to go tame later.
Yeah, once you have your saws you're probably okay until you want to do heavy animal breeding systems or you have steel, which is a bit of a ways out for most. There are also ender spectacles, but they're just one strap and you'll probably run out of pearls faster then straps if you're using them a lot.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Poo and the various state changes are decoupled.
You mean I can't cheat the system through extreme constipation? My whole life is a lie!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx