[SPOILERS!] "Hardcore Hoofsies" Spoiler Thread

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EpicAaron

[SPOILERS!] "Hardcore Hoofsies" Spoiler Thread

Post by EpicAaron »

I had been on a little break from BTW, but the new update description roused me into a feverish excitement! My eyes were filled with wild dreams of riding horses into the sunset. Alas, I should have known.

I spawned into a new world, chopped down enough trees to build an axe, and immediately went for some sweet cow meat.

Shortest life I have ever had.

I still have much testing to do! Dump your spoilers here.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: [SPOILERS!] "Hardcore Hoofsies" Spoiler Thread

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehehe...awesome, and thanks for creating the thread :)
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Cows are now the most badass mob in the game.

It appears that, when frightened, the majestic beast will make use of its powerful hind legs to stave off foes. I even witnessed a zombie wielding an iron sword be thrown back by one of these animals!

We will probably have to be a bit more selective when hunting in the early game or at least employ more ranged tactics to slay these evolved bovines.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehehe...I think as people play with it in effect they'll be amazed at how many subtle impacts it has on how the early game plays.

This is probably my favorite feature in a long while. I just pulled a HC spawn in my world post release so I could experience the full impact of the change, and I'm having a ball with it. Apparently a very small thing that has some huge consequences :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Well at least the wolves are nice enough to let you know they are pissed before they go psycho :P

Going to need travel to encounter some cows; the recent changes have me thinking outpost network comes before blaze! HCS recovery is definitely extra fun (DF style :)
ion

Post by ion »

time to build an arena with daily cows vs zombies shows
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

When I found out what it was, the first thing that came to mind was FC was sponsored by Chick-Fil-A... Eat More Chicken.
Gears

Post by Gears »

When I first saw "Hardcore Hoofsies", I thought Flowers had gone insane and become a brony, but this is way better. Now I've got another thing to the "List of Animals that can kick my ass"

... I am really low on the pecking order in this game. The only thing that's lower than me at this point are dirt blocks.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gears wrote: ... I am really low on the pecking order in this game. The only thing that's lower than me at this point are dirt blocks.
Will fix for next release.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

You weren't kidding about blunt force trauma - I'm sitting here cross legged contemplating starvation over getting kicked down there again.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
haschischtasche

Post by haschischtasche »

I like it, but somehow it feels a little bit off.
Sure, it's a game and balance wise it makes more sense to do this only for cows, but from my experience of herding sheep for about a year and my childhood of living next to like 10 farmers who had cows it just feels incredibly unnatural and illogical to have (relatively cowardly) cows do it but having (pretty aggressive when attacked) sheep just running away. Not saying it should be changed, just saying it is kind of weird and "gamey logic", like milking a squid back in the days. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

haschischtasche wrote:I like it, but somehow it feels a little bit off.
Sure, it's a game and balance wise it makes more sense to do this only for cows, but from my experience of herding sheep for about a year and my childhood of living next to like 10 farmers who had cows it just feels incredibly unnatural and illogical to have (relatively cowardly) cows do it but having (pretty aggressive when attacked) sheep just running away. Not saying it should be changed, just saying it is kind of weird and "gamey logic", like milking a squid back in the days. ;)
In case this isn't already readily apparent: this isn't our world man. How creatures that happen to look like those in the consensus reality actually behave is thus entirely up in the air.

Also: not sure if you've actually tried the feature or are just blowing smoke out of your ass, but the cows don't attack. They're effectively running away and just kicking out wildly at anything that gets near their hindquarters, and as any dairy farmer will tell you, you have to watch out for getting kicked by a cow if it freaks out.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

EpicAaron wrote:Cows are now the most badass mob in the game.

It appears that, when frightened, the majestic beast will make use of its powerful hind legs to stave off foes.
it looks like it's not only when frightened. I had a small area with a pair of pigs and a pair of cows for mid game food production. Some time after i updated my world, the cows murdered my piggies.

also at some point i messed up and all the chickens went loose. Some of them got trapped with the cows and were mercilessly trampled :(

i think it may have something to do with personal space. I haven't yet seen a cow murder an animal in open field.

man... this update... i just love it :'D
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Golly Murillo! You may have stumbled upon a new aspect of the feature. If cows begin to trample other mobs when in compacted areas, this might largely effect the long standing issue of over population in automated breeding facilities.

Will test in developed world.

EDIT: Although Cows will kill other animals when spooked, I have yet to witness killing otherwise. Do you actively harm any animals nearby the cows?
Spoiler
Show
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

EpicAaron wrote:]

EDIT: Although Cows will kill other animals when spooked, I have yet to witness killing otherwise. Do you actively harm any animals nearby the cows?
hmmm, i think i may have hit chicks with eggs when cracking the eggs. If they only kill when spooked, this is the most probable cause.
ion

Post by ion »

my 3 cows killed all the sheep and pigs that i holed with them. i don't think that they were hit or any animal hit outside. maybe they are spooked also by sounds. i can make a low tier butcher house, now with Mad Cow Master Butcher instead of me. they may help you save some iron swords.
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Well, I am not going in there again
Spoiler
Show
I may need to rethink this.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magick_Miner wrote:Well, I am not going in there again
Well, you could always make yourself a big digital timer and see how many seconds you last after jumping in :)
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Funny how i used to see my cow pens as meat dispensers and now i see them as mosh pits.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Mud

Post by Mud »

This change makes crafting/acquiring a bow & arrows earlier on much more appealing.

I like the change; makes sense you'd want range weaponry to hunt the largest and most powerful prey in Minecraft.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

This also increases the chance you will have cows on the 2nd or even 3rd day that survive the zombies.
It looks like the cows can 2-shot zombies whereas zombies need 4 or 5 hits to kill a cow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mud wrote:This change makes crafting/acquiring a bow & arrows earlier on much more appealing.
That was one of my main motivations in implementing this feature actually: it spreads out the early game progression with bow and arrows acting as a soft gateway to acquiring leather armor.

Having gone through a full HC spawn cycle with it, I'm very pleased with how it worked out. There's a number of systems it feeds into nicely, such as there being a larger "oooo...chickens" factor, and in combination with the gravel slabs, I often find myself digging out clumps of gravel both for the gravel itself, and for the flint. It of course also increases the value of wool armor earlier on, giving it more of a place in the progression.

IMO, it brings more diversity of activities and incremental progression to the early game, and honestly, bow hunting cows is a lot of fun. I actually went on a couple of bow hunting expeditions before implementing the feature to see how it would feel, and it very quickly became a "yeah...I've totally got to do this" for me.

Granted, there are ways around this, such as digging pits to trap cows in or whatever, but having experimented with that myself, I think it's a large enough pain in the ass, especially with stone tools, that the bow remains incentivized.
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

what happen when we breed cow ?
Spoiler
Show
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

ko_teknik wrote:what happen when we breed cow ?
Spoiler
Show
Humm... That was in Brazil, it seems. I better watch out...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.