New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!?) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!?) - NO SPOILERS

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!? of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Hunger for Wolves.

-Added Hardcore Hoofsies.

-Added the ability to burn some more "early game" items in the furnace, given keeping a fire going can now be a matter of life and death. This applies to Wool, Wool Armor, arrows (both regular and rotted), bows, feathers, and paper.

-Changed the brightness of the changes I made to Hardcore of Darkness recently so that when Gloom isn't present, the overall brightness of the game should be much closer to what it is in vanilla (especially underground). In other words, things should appear a bit brighter in general now than they did in the past couple of releases, and the transition from normal lighting into Gloom, a bit more dramatic.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

EpicAaron

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!?) - NO SPOILE

Post by EpicAaron »

Mine pants have been soiled once again.

It is great to see more updates! Thank you.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Neat! more dramatic change to darkness :) I was having trouble distinguishing the true darkness from normal dark areas so I'm happy for that :)
The Dark Side
Show
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Neat! more dramatic change to darkness :) I was having trouble distinguishing the true darkness from normal dark areas so I'm happy for that :)
Yeah, my initial implementation of Hardercore of Darkness was using a rather linear blending between areas of normal dark and gloom, whereas I'm now dropping things off more severely towards the gloom so that it more resembles the way it used to be.
EpicAaron wrote:Mine pants have been soiled once again.
Oh, please do create a spoiler thread if you've discovered something. I'm eagerly awaiting stories of fear & loathing here. This is probably one of my favorite releases in a long while, and I'm having a hard time biting my tongue until people discover what's going on :)
TheOriginalSteve

Post by TheOriginalSteve »

Everything seems pretty sweet with this new update but only one thing remains. What is "Hardcore Hoofsies"!??!!?!
Nyoike

Post by Nyoike »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Hunger for Wolves.
I've been dreading this ever since my cousin mentioned something like this to me. If I'm correct in what it does anyway, makes them much more interested to have around early game.

And upon googling "Hoofsies" all I find is MLP stuff. Not sure if intended or just coincidence, but sounds like something interesting as little as you've said about it here. Can't wait to play with it!
ylogaj

Post by ylogaj »

Building a proper Wolf House just got bumped right to the top of my todo list :D

Also going to have to force myself not to read the spoiler thread, I really want to discover Hardcore Hoofsies myself, not a clue what it could be though :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Small 'b' version of yesterday's release to correct a few issues:

Download Link

-Changed Hardcore Hoofsies to use a "line of sight" check to prevent it functioning through walls and such.

-Fixed problem where wolves would attack cows when they weren't starving.

-Fixed vanilla problem where some AI entities would continue to try and attack others even when the target was dead.

Link in the OP has been updated as well
ko_teknik

Post by ko_teknik »

ooooh yeah ! let's go i want test it right now... Thx for the awesome harcore Darkness i love it !
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHrgle
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHrgle
Hehe...thanks :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Glad to see you get back in to the swing of things FC. I'm really liking the HC Darkness changes.

And pretty worried about my wolves...

:) I love how wonderfully terrifying your game can be.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Once again BTW requires a lot more planning and forethought. And I think I will set up an archery range to get in some practice.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Can't wait to get back to the mod :3 Things have changed a lot since last time I played
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Hardcore hoofsies and the changes to Hardcore of Darkness have really made for a fantastic experience, both early and late game. Really cool stuff, its getting me into playing BTW again.
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
RobinHood3

Post by RobinHood3 »

My first death in the game I started a few weeks ago came from me whacking a sheep and then getting killed by a stampede of hardcore hoofsies. Broad daylight, nothing hostile around, in the middle of a field, I thought I was safe... ha!
I love how stampedes are actually a legitimate thing. This is yet another amazing update... Thanks FC!
_kleiber_

Post by _kleiber_ »

So, this is my first post in this forum and I thought the first thing I should do is to thank you for all the hard work you put into BTW.

Since my son introduced me to minecraft and all the things you could do with it, I always wanted to play BTW, because I got the feeling, that it would fit my way of playing the game - although I'm not a regular player at all and never climbed up the tech tree in BTW higher than up to an iron pickaxe.

A few days ago I thought I should give it another try. And you know what: It took me only a few minutes to get killed by hardcore hoofsies, it was great. In the meantime I've managed to lure a chicken into my base and got myself an iron hoe. If everything goes well I will plant my first pumpkin tomorrow and I think, I'll be a very lucky man. So thank you once again for an incredible gaming experience.