Automatic wheat farm, detector block issues?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
greezoo117

Automatic wheat farm, detector block issues?

Post by greezoo117 »

Hi!

I'm trying to automate my wheat farms. I don't know if I'm not using the detector blocks correctly.
When the wheat is fully grown, the blocks detector go off and it *should* sends a signal to the water gates.
But nothing happens and the signal never reach the flood gates. I've tried to activate it by switching on/off the circuit and it works (so manually it's ok, it's the blocks detectors that don't work)

I wonder if the automatic circuit doesn't work because when i'm a few chunks away, the game doesn't load?

Pictures in an imgur album.
http://imgur.com/a/BcM1i

Your help is appreciated!!

(The timer for the water gates is a block dispenser)
"Minecraft, where the only limit is your imagination". Well, f**k you Time !
jorgebonafe

Re: Automatic wheat farm, detector block issues?

Post by jorgebonafe »

Did you check the distance? Redstone only goes 15 blocks far. Maybe it works when you try it manually because you activate the redstone closer to the end of the redstone line?
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

This is pretty easy to test; check your detectors when the wheat is fully grown- If you can invert a few torches than its working.
I've never used them vertically above the wheat before. [I can't see why it'll make a difference but you never know]

If that works then try controlling your circuit from the detectors [put levers on the side].

I don't think it'll be a chunk loading issue, otherwise the wheat won't grow- or it'll work as soon as you go back into the area.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm fairly certain that block detectors do not work when facing downward at the wheat. Only when they are facing horizontally will they 'see' the top of the wheat poking above the block. You're probably looking at a complete rebuild.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Sarudak wrote:I'm fairly certain that block detectors do not work when facing downward at the wheat. Only when they are facing horizontally will they 'see' the top of the wheat poking above the block. You're probably looking at a complete rebuild.
Just tested this, and detector blocks do "see" the wheat when facing downwards at the wheat; the problem is somewhere else.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
greezoo117

Post by greezoo117 »

Did you check the distance? Redstone only goes 15 blocks far. Maybe it works when you try it manually because you activate the redstone closer to the end of the redstone line?
The distance is ok and I added a repeater just to be sure.
This is pretty easy to test; check your detectors when the wheat is fully grown- If you can invert a few torches than its working.
When all the wheat is fully grown, the detector activate then it turn off the redstone torch above it. I tried with a lever and it works too. So you think this is not a loading issue? Then I guess there is something wrong with my redstone circuit :/. Thanks for your help!
"Minecraft, where the only limit is your imagination". Well, f**k you Time !
milkmandan

Post by milkmandan »

It could be from partial chunk loading if you're using some sort of edge detection on the output. An alternative in a lot of cases is to hook in a timing signal as an OR with your usually on signal from the detectors. That way, if the drop from powered to not isn't getting to the rest of the circuit, you'll get a periodic retry while the detector signal is off.

It's really amazing how much simpler (and robust) a lot of designs can be with a timer signal triggering coupled with some sort of detection. Pre-turntable I'll even stick a pressure plate along a high traffic path as an automatic reset for things like chicken/wolf feeders.
FlowerChild wrote:
Ribky wrote:What did you do with bonemeal? And can I mix it with clay and smear it on myself for instant growth?
You'll be receiving an email soon with instructions on how to order my patented instant growth formula.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Sarudak wrote:I'm fairly certain that block detectors do not work when facing downward at the wheat. Only when they are facing horizontally will they 'see' the top of the wheat poking above the block. You're probably looking at a complete rebuild.
I had a full scale auto-wheat farm on a slightly earlier version that had planter, wheat, air, detector, redstone dust stacked vertically, two wide, 8 long, worked perfectly.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I just want to point out, when you post images for technical help, it would be better to temporarily switch to the default texture pack (or even a high contrast one) I'm looking at the pics you posted and find it hard to get what is going on due to the unfamiliarity with the tp :P

If this continues to be a problem, a world download will be even more helpful ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said