New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0D Marsupial??!!)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Luza

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0D Marsupial??!!)

Post by Luza »

Awesome release (:
Thank you!
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.99999A0D Marsupial??!! of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

-Added a new system for despawning items dropped on player death. Instead of using the regular item despawn timer, these items will disappear one Minecraft day after the player dies (20 minutes real time), regardless of whether the chunks they are in are loaded or not. This makes the behavior of these items more consistent regardless of whether you are near original spawn or not, and reduces the effectiveness of gamey behavior like avoiding the area in which you died so that the items don't despawn. It will also hopefully further encourage the building of infrastructure like road and rail networks to quickly return on death. Note that in single player if time advances to the next day due to a death, this is taken into account by the system and it does not cause you to lose the time in between in terms of item despawn. Also note that this change will not affect items dropped on death previous to installation of this version, so if you have any lingering in the world, they will despawn as normal.

I am very grateful for this. I always felt cheated/punished for building and working near original spawn. I am glad that everywhere is now equal. And as always, you have found an elegant solution to reducing metagamy behavior.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Hey, I was the guy who posted about items despawning near original spawn in the feedbacks. It's been a busy couple of months so I haven't replied. I wasn't really upset because I had lost my stuff. I was upset because it was inconsistent. If I had died literally anywhere else, I would have gotten my items back. So I'm glad that that is fixed. And I'm also very glad to see you back updating. :)

Edit: Since I brought that up (hopefully it's ok here), how will you balance this?
FlowerChild wrote:This is balanced by original spawn being a great place to build mob-traps and other automation due to it being constantly loaded, and by the fact that if you build near spawn, recovery from death is generally much easier.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

woeuntoyou wrote:Hey, I was the guy who posted about items despawning near original spawn in the feedbacks. It's been a busy couple of months so I haven't replied. I wasn't really upset because I had lost my stuff. I was upset because it was inconsistent. If I had died literally anywhere else, I would have gotten my items back. So I'm glad that that is fixed. And I'm also very glad to see you back updating. :)

Edit: Since I brought that up (hopefully it's ok here), how will you balance this?
It's fine. Original spawn is a special magical place within the world, and things behave differently there. That's consistent with the backstory of the mod.

I changed item despawn behavior more because I disliked the gaminess of not having to rush to get your stuff elsewhere rather than because of any real inconsistency there, and like I said, it was something I had been pondering prior to your feedback post, so that really had nothing to do with it.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

FlowerChild wrote: It's fine. Original spawn is a special magical place within the world, and things behave differently there. That's consistent with the backstory of the mod.

I changed item despawn behavior more because I disliked the gaminess of not having to rush to get your stuff elsewhere rather than because of any real inconsistency there, and like I said, it was something I had been pondering prior to your feedback post, so that really had nothing to do with it.
Well, whatever your reasons were, I'm glad of the change. Looking forward to the next update.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I just noticed the farmers I found in a partial village look
Spoiler
Show
dirty or bruised lol
I must have missed this, they looked like the village got
Spoiler
Show
attacked and just made it or maybe just their profession. Could just be all this time avoiding them :P
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

SHAZAM!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

icynewyear wrote: SHAZAM!
Woot! You rule Icy :)
Taleric wrote:I just noticed the farmers I found in a partial village look...
Hehe...yeah, that was an additional change I slipped in when I added the odd lingering peasant to abandoned villages awhile back :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Thanks for the update man. I'm super excited about death changes. The ender pearl stuff is kicking my ass in gear to get an ender farm going. As always, thank you :)
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

Ooh, shiny slabs! Now I'm going to have to smooth out all of the hills in my desert...

Just one question before I install this though. Does the item despawn timer only affect object dropped on player death? I have a number of item drop timers in my machinery, are they affected by this?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Adenine wrote: Just one question before I install this though. Does the item despawn timer only affect object dropped on player death? I have a number of item drop timers in my machinery, are they affected by this?
I take great pains to write exact release notes in order to avoid questions like this after the fact. Please read them.
icynewyear wrote:Thanks for the update man. I'm super excited about death changes. The ender pearl stuff is kicking my ass in gear to get an ender farm going. As always, thank you :)
Hope you have a good time with them man :)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The best part about these half slabs is path marking! Sooo good :)

Yes could use compact dirt ect but the gravel really pops plus the quick movement. My early hunting trips are now just that and not unintentional migrations.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

ooh, ender pearl blocks, better finish up this mob trap so I can be ready to go more fearlessly into the end
*falls into pit of doom and gets killed by a dozen mobs while with all diamond equipment*
nah, I think I'll just finish it next week.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

RalphKastro wrote:ooh, ender pearl blocks, better finish up this mob trap so I can be ready to go more fearlessly into the end
*falls into pit of doom and gets killed by a dozen mobs while with all diamond equipment*
nah, I think I'll just finish it next week.
;) That's why you build the collection system first.. because yenno accidental early testing :D

Also holy batman! These slabs are great man. Adding more variety to my paths, as for the ender blocks, yet to see how well they pair with darkstone as I feel they have somewhat the same pattern.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
frank2982

Post by frank2982 »

I don't know if it is because I have Large Biomes set. But started a fresh world with the new release and it spawned me right into a jungle. Granted there is a desert and swamp right over the river I am near.

Seed for that world is:
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

frank2982 wrote:I don't know if it is because I have Large Biomes set. But started a fresh world with the new release and it spawned me right into a jungle. Granted there is a desert and swamp right over the river I am near.

Seed for that world is:
I did get a jungle spawn as well but we have to disregard, being so close to the next biome border. Center of the jungle is the real killer :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote: I did get a jungle spawn as well but we have to disregard, being so close to the next biome border. Center of the jungle is the real killer :(
Yup, that's exactly right. It may appear that you're in a jungle, but if you're on the border the game likely doesn't consider you as such.

This is actually just vanilla functionality which is used for a few other biomes as well, such as deserts, so that you always initially spawn in a relatively hospitable area. I just added jungles to that list so the vanilla code considers it an invalid spawning area.
Kannsinn

Post by Kannsinn »

Sweet! nice release love the slabs!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

I booted up an old world with this update and went into my mine. Then my skin started to crawl and my sense of security went out the window :) Thanks for the silverfish noises. I think I'm going to spend the next hour or so looking for a new spot to mine in.
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Changed wolves to think that villagers are rather tasty and villagers to not think very highly of them as a result.
So I didn't really think this was a huge change originally, wolves and villagers normally were each in their own separate biomes most of the time. But my first ever attempt at a cross continent villager migration effort showed me how wrong I was. Any place where you might find wolves is much more difficult to travel through if you're transporting villagers, even if the wolves aren't yet hungry. It proved to be an interesting wolf radar system though, I constantly was checking back on my crowd while holding a diamond and at random intervals the entire crowd would disperse in different directions until I hunted down the wolf, killed it, and corralled them together again. I thankfully had two survivors make it, a librarian and a butcher. Along with my max farmer that means I should eventually be able to get the whole set after throwing a bunch of diamonds at them.

Even the apparently little things are big here.