BTW Playing Habits

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ThePowerofTower

BTW Playing Habits

Post by ThePowerofTower »

I was just wondering what people's habits are when they play BTW: do you listen to music while you play? Are you doing other things in other tabs? Do you have a ceremonial drink while you play?

I've been listening to some chill music in the background, nothing with a lot of percussion so that I can still hear footsteps. And, I really don't know why, but when I play, I feel compelled to drink a Monster. I'm thinking its subliminal messaging.
Mud

Re: BTW Playing Habits

Post by Mud »

I have an ambient/drone radio station I play on low in the background while playing.

I used to watch trashy crime shows while playing, but I got tired of getting snuck up on.
caveatEmptor

Post by caveatEmptor »

Most of the time I listen to music. When caving or in the nether or something dangerous, I turn the music off or switch to to something ambient and low volume so I can hear mobs and such properly. When I'm doing something totally mindless, like digging out large areas or exploring, I'll watch a show or something in the background.

I used to routinely watch shows while playing once I got to the point of having a safe, well lit base. My thinking was most of minecraft's activities are boring so why not multi-task. However I found that with all my attention on whatever I was watching all I got done around my base most of the time was just tending to the farms and other housekeeping types of activities and never had the focus to do the actual interesting work of planning and executing new builds.
Gears

Post by Gears »

Usually I wear some headphones and listen to music, doesn't matter too much what type it is. When I need to focus or stay alert, I'll turn it down, and I have had moments where I wound up dead because the sound of the creeper behind me was drowned out by a bass-heavy song.

I also have a tendency to grab something to eat/drink every time I get past a certain milestone. I'm not sure if it's a victory celebration or if I really just get hungry for a snack every few hours...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Btw is great to play while listening to podcasts and when there is something big like a tournament or competitive twitch streaming. I died too many times when watching League of Legends LCS and building mobtraps.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

Local radio station, or my iPod.
Sometimes its the comforting voices of Icy and Flowerchild.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

I used to watch series while playing(only thing I like in windows 8), but after 1.3 the performance dropped too much to be playable.
Now I usually leave the TV on, since it's right beside my computer
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I don't listen to anything while playing due to copyright law :(
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

icynewyear wrote:I don't listen to anything while playing due to copyright law :(
well, if you did your series would only be HC Spawn... :)
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

I usually shit myself and curse.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I listen to more intense music (i.e. metal/hard rock), but keep it quiet and use noise cancelling headphones to drown out background noise so I can hear stuff in game.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I favour whole albums on youtube generally. I don't cave much, but my base is well developed and I tend towards building/automation rather than exploration/resource gathering. When I actually do cave, light/classical/instrumental music to ease the tension without hindering awareness too much is nice.
Shadowhawk36

Post by Shadowhawk36 »

I tend to listen to podcasts, as it's nice and keeps me focused on the game without me only having to listen to the horrid sounds of my 2x2 hole of 100+ chickens. Most of the time I turn it off while I'm caving or am out at night, as you never know when somethi- SSSSSSS *BOOM*
tyydudu

Post by tyydudu »

Well most of the time I listen to music and the game sound is turned off. It's quite frightening when some sneaky bastards blow up behind you, but that makes the game even more enjoyable.
kjbrona

Post by kjbrona »

Before I started recording my BTW game play, I would watch various youtube videos while playing. When you are watching a BTW Let's Play, it adds a whole extra level of paranoia to trying to determine if the zombie moan or creeper hiss is from the video or your game. :)
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

kjbrona wrote:Before I started recording my BTW game play, I would watch various youtube videos while playing. When you are watching a BTW Let's Play, it adds a whole extra level of paranoia to trying to determine if the zombie moan or creeper hiss is from the video or your game. :)
Hardcore audio confusion? :P
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

BTW is what I do to relax. Typically, I'll listen to a podcast while I play, or sometimes music. I never leave the game sound turned off, however - I use the volume mixer to make Minecraft just loud enough to hear (I also turn off MC's in game music). This way, I don't usually get snuck up on by Creepers and the like. I can usually get through a couple podcasts during a good play session. I wind up kind of zoning in and out of them.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

I'm usually on Teamspeak, joking around with friends. Makes it extra fun! ( I also have my game noise on but quiet.)
ion

Post by ion »

apart for fullscreen MC i have a little tv corner or some music playing on winamp ( old school here). also i have chrome and firefox opened for news and other things. i never watch others play MC nor do i care to watch when i have MC open. i also have Gimp open up for some texturing when night comes.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I keep my game sounds as loud as i can, music muted, door shut, nothing else making noise so i can focus on listening for dangers. I rely a lot of my ears when playing btw
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I almost always listen to my own music while playing any game. I have different .mp3 playlists for different genres like "zombie", "racing", "space", what have you, with music thematically appropriate to it.

I use my "mystical" playlist for Minecraft, which includes a lot of more ambient tunes, like stuff from Dead Can Dance, a few of the more sedate Doors tunes like "Crystal Ship", and a bunch of other stuff.

Like, this is the tune I usually start with when I'm booting up the game and it just goes on random from there:

Actually, looking at that playlist I have like 37 Dead Can Dance tunes in there, and like 15 from assorted other artists, so yeah, I listen to a lot of Dead Can Dance while playing MC :)

Depending on what I'm doing in-game I know I've also gone with just listening to Tool at one time, and to Skinny Puppy at another (industrial music goes great with putting together automation builds and programming for that matter).
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Wow thats some POWERFUL shit right there! Thx alot for sharing.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wafflewaffle wrote:Wow thats some POWERFUL shit right there! Thx alot for sharing.
That's pretty similar to what I said when a friend of mine introduced me to Dead Can Dance 25 years ago or so :)

They're really an incredible group. I own a whole whack of their albums and never regretted purchasing any of them, and the diversity of their music is pretty stellar.

Like take this for example. You can hardly tell it's the same group, but still awesome :)
Spoiler
Show

or one of my personal favorites:

or while I'm just spewing forth awesome tunes:

Ok, going to spoiler the above as I'm getting carried away. Yeah, I do love me some Dead Can Dance :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

All I have to say to that is, Dead can Dance came for a gig in Greece in the mid 90ties, and I did not go. Yeah. Still regretting it.

As to what I listen to when I play, it depends on the job at hand. When terraforming (I do a lot of that. and I mean a lot) I usually listen to podcasts or lps or some random totalbiscuit rant video :P

Otherwise if I do technical work I do not put anything on, I'm very easily distracted.

If I share my playlists (both on utube and my pc ones) I suspect people will think I am insane :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote: Like, this is the tune I usually start with when I'm booting up the game and it just goes on random from there:

Have you seen The Mist, FC? This is the track during the ending scene which is one of the greatest kick-in-the-guts moments I've ever had the pleasure of watching. One of those movies that's easy to pass over from the marketing, but ended up being a really great film.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.