BTW Playing Habits

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: BTW Playing Habits

Post by FlowerChild »

Thorium-232 wrote: Have you seen The Mist, FC? This is the track during the ending scene which is one of the greatest cinematic kick-in-the-guts moments I've ever had the pleasure of watching. One of those movies that's easy to pass over from the marketing, but ended up being a really great film.
Hehe...yup, I have, and I had one of those "hey! I know that song!" moments when I did :)

And yeah, despite my rants about Stephen King in Icy's recent 7 Days videos, I must admit that's one time he got the ending right. I guess he got all the Cthulhu beasties out of his system early in that story and didn't feel the need for a spider-alien in the attic to end things as a result ;)
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

FlowerChild wrote: ... Stephen King... ending right. ... spider-alien ...
I read IT years ago, and this is still a sore spot for me. And don't even get me started on The Stand, which is similarly awesome until the ending where
Spoiler
Show
the hand of god literally comes down from the sky and ends the story

Only Stephen King could make me read 1000 pages and not be pissed about it til the very end.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

agentwiggles wrote: I read IT years ago, and this is still a sore spot for me. And don't even get me started on The Stand, which is similarly awesome until the ending where
Spoiler
Show
the hand of god literally comes down from the sky and ends the story
Actually, that was exactly what I was ranting about in one of Icy's 7 Days videos, although, I only watched the mini-series, so "haha" on all the extra wasted hours of your life ;)

The end of The Shining is the one that takes the cake for me. Thank the spikey gods that I saw the Stanley Kubrick movie first before reading it and he had the good sense to rip out King's ending entirely.

Since I keep mentioning it, here's the video in question. Appropriately named no less :)

Thorium-232

Post by Thorium-232 »

FlowerChild wrote:And yeah, despite my rants about Stephen King in Icy's recent 7 Days videos, I must admit that's one time he got the ending right.
Ha, that's probably the greatest part, too. The ending of the movie is different from the source novella, which ends pretty much ambiguously. The ending in the movie was re-written by the director (Frank Darabont, a name hopefully familiar to everyone here) and received some pretty high praise from Stephen himself, saying:
It is the most shocking ending ever and there should be a law passed stating that anybody who reveals the last five minutes of this film should be hung from their neck until dead.
Also:
agentwiggles wrote:Only Stephen King could make me read 1000 pages and not be pissed about it til the very end.
I almost just learned the hard way that, naturally, quoting someone with spoiler tags in their post reveals the spoiler in the editor. Having only just made it to Larry Underwood's departure of NYC in the book, I can with relief say my eyes have an almost supernatural way of skipping around a page that contains text I don't want to read :) Though I am saddened that the ending might be a potential letdown. The book is fantastic so far.
Stormweaver wrote:Then you can just use the day/night cycle to separate out the adults, and put the kids in storage till you're ready to murder them.
agentwiggles

Post by agentwiggles »

Thorium-232 wrote:Having only just made it to Larry Underwood's departure of NYC in the book, I can with relief say my eyes have an almost supernatural way of skipping around a page that contains text I don't want to read :) Though I am saddened that the ending might be a potential letdown. The book is fantastic so far.
Ah man, my apologies for that. Despite the crappy ending it's a really good book, the journey is worth enduring the lackluster ending. (Unlike Lost). Also, if you're reading the uncut one there is an additional segment after the end of the book that I think improves it as a whole. Won't spoil that for you, however. It's well worth your time to finish reading it - but if your eyes glaze over occasionally in the process, no one would blame you.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Maybe I'm the only one here that really enjoyed both "It" and "The Stand" XD
Honestly, the "It" book was much better then the film/miniseries...

11/22/63 was also awesome, IMO. I read it twice. (Actually I listened to the unabridged audiobook twice. The narrator for this book is one of the best I've ever heard.)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

IT was a nice enough book until it gets to the Kids' ending. Only time I've ever skipped something in a book voluntarily. On the other hand, I read Under the Dome over the summer, and it's amazing how King made a few days into a thousand page plus novel, even if the ending did fall flat.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

King is one of those authors where it seems like he is actually enraged by the idea of people expecting him to end a story rather than letting it keep going. The last Dark Tower book in particular seemed like one big King ending to me.

That said, I still read his books, so...
Better is the enemy of Good