(Possible Spoilers)Help Finding Village

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RalphKastro

(Possible Spoilers)Help Finding Village

Post by RalphKastro »

I'm really having some trouble. I just build what I think is the number 20 portal(might be wrong, stopped counting at 10) in my massive nether tunnel and it just turned out to be another ocean cave. I'm growing really tired of this. From all the portals I managed to find land with, only 4 weren't massive snow plains that fill an entire map. And from these 4, 1 was a bunch of medium sized islands(in which I found a Mushroom biome), the other 2 were decent sized continents but without any villages(but 1 jungle temple and 1 desert temple) and the other was a large desert that had 3 temples and then turned out to be relatively small compared to the snow plains that surrounded it.

So, after this much failures, I've gotten to the point where I must ask:

Is there any easier/faster way to find villages?
thanks in advance for any help
Gunnerman21

Re: (Possible Spoilers)Help Finding Village

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I found my village on boat, try making a compass and heading in a direction other than your portals by boat. Only stop for desert or plains biomes. With the compass you'll easily get home so it doesn't matter how far you sail. I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that villages spawn north-south from each other so I recommend heading in either direction. Another strategy is circling around your spawn point using the compass as a guide, you boat around in a wide circle keeping spawn to your left/right and slowly moving outwards, that way you can cover a lot of terrain.

There really isn't a faster way to find a village, nothing like soulsand piles on nether fortresses or such.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Gunnerman21 wrote:I found my village on boat, try making a compass and heading in a direction other than your portals by boat. Only stop for desert or plains biomes. With the compass you'll easily get home so it doesn't matter how far you sail. I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that villages spawn north-south from each other so I recommend heading in either direction. Another strategy is circling around your spawn point using the compass as a guide, you boat around in a wide circle keeping spawn to your left/right and slowly moving outwards, that way you can cover a lot of terrain.

There really isn't a faster way to find a village, nothing like soulsand piles on nether fortresses or such.
wouldn't finding a village but being unable to link it back home so I can access it somewhat pointless? I mean, I would like to progress in the tech tree too by finding them, not just get some wheat.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

RalphKastro wrote:
Gunnerman21 wrote:I found my village on boat, try making a compass and heading in a direction other than your portals by boat. Only stop for desert or plains biomes. With the compass you'll easily get home so it doesn't matter how far you sail. I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that villages spawn north-south from each other so I recommend heading in either direction. Another strategy is circling around your spawn point using the compass as a guide, you boat around in a wide circle keeping spawn to your left/right and slowly moving outwards, that way you can cover a lot of terrain.

wouldn't finding a village but being unable to link it back home so I can access it somewhat pointless? I mean, I would like to progress in the tech tree too by finding them, not just get some wheat.
Really there's two roadblocks related to villages. First is wheat, so you can breed sufficient amount of animals to effectively feed yourself make all the tech up til you're ready to go to the end, including farms enough for trading. Second is getting a priest trade high enough to access the end. So easy nether access back and forth from a village with a priest is necessary eventually, but any village with wheat is really important a few steps prior.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

You can link them up by making a portal to the nether, but not going through it. You can then build a portal in the nether approximate to the overworld portal's location and if they are close enough (i.e. within 128 blocks in the overworld) they should link up. It's guess work, and you're likely to miss a lot until you manage to connect them but I guess that's to be expected with inter-dimensional travel.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Sandrew wrote:You can link them up by making a portal to the nether, but not going through it. You can then build a portal in the nether approximate to the overworld portal's location and if they are close enough (i.e. within 128 blocks in the overworld) they should link up. It's guess work, and you're likely to miss a lot until you manage to connect them but I guess that's to be expected with inter-dimensional travel.
I like this idea. The only problem is that, if there's any landmass big enough to support villages, it's way too far from any land I've explored(I usually explore around the coastline with a boat to see if I can find an island)

I'll try it on one of my nearest open portals, though.
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Great, I found one. it's a rather small desert one. only has a library and a church, but has a priest and a librarian, so I'm happy with it.
Now I'm facing a dilema. Should I stay here, settle down, make a new base and level up the priest, or should I try to make a trail back to the spawn and then bring everything there(along with a portal I forgot to bring)?
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

It's easier to bring a base to the villagers than to bring the villagers to the base.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

Katalliaan wrote:It's easier to bring a base to the villagers than to bring the villagers to the base.
I don't actually plan to bring them home. Both ways I'm building a base there. I just don't know if I should build one from start, or make a trail back home and find some way to link a portal to the village and then bring everything directly from my base(including my 3 enchanting tables and the Vessel)
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

I think the initial wheat is essential for later exploring; its a highly concentrated food source.
[2 stacks of flour cooks 8 stacks of sandwiches]
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

Another thing to consider is that leveling up villagers, because of the variety of items they want, is something that will be much more difficult and time-consuming if you start from a fresh base. I had a well-established base, mob trap and stores of items and leveling up my villagers is still a heck of a chore. A worthwhile one, but a chore still.

"They want those? I threw away 4 stacks of those last week!"
Melgamesh

Post by Melgamesh »

X_X
Last edited by Melgamesh on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

When I look for villages in the start... I just check my current continent for a partially deserted one (mainly for wheat) which also allows me to make pillars in case of hardcore spawn...

But if you need the trading system or carrots and potatoes then I just go to the nether and travel in one direction... if that proves bad than I go back to the nether spawn and go in the opposite direction... and continue until I find what I need...

You can also make branches off the main paths in other directions since just going east, north, south or west may not cut it... my best village was found by going east and then turning north ~460 nether blocks each direction... there ended up being two villages close enough to move one group to the other village and I had all but the librarian (which is at different village).