Automated log farm with 11 high tree growth area

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Six

Automated log farm with 11 high tree growth area

Post by Six »

I posted a pic of this in the builds thread, but decided it could use a thread of it's own for searchability sake.

I'd been putting off trying to make an automated tree farm for a long time, not able to work out how it could be done without horribly complex redstone, but then I saw this beautiful vanilla design from Stormweaver. So I got to work on tweaking it and adapting it for BTW harvesting, but the one problem I had with it was that the height of the growth area meant that a lot of the pine varieties wouldn't grow (I was only getting about 1 out of 8 growths when trying with bonemeal). Since pine is the main block I want to automate, I pushed and pulled at the design till I stretched it to an 11 high growth area, which I think supports all but the tall variants of pine (and all birch and most jungle).
Spoiler
Show
It certainly lost some of the charm in conversion, requiring a lump of redstone logic to be added (2 latches and 3 +ve edge detectors) but it does the job and achieves what I set out to do. Not too sure about sapling catching, but I think I might just go simple and coat everything below interfering growth level with hoppers.

If people are interested in any of the details I could put up more of an explanation for them, or maybe a world download.
Pentagram

Re: Automated log farm with 11 high tree growth area

Post by Pentagram »

I managed to extend the design to accommodate Pine trees without much trouble, I just added a couple more bits of sand and raised blocks up, then had to move a bit at the bottom too. Works great for me :)
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P
Six

Post by Six »

With the design as it was though, keeping the log pusher below the dirt block at most it can be 8 or 9 high for growing right? I remember in my checking of different pine varieties there were a few 10 high that would be incompatible, but I guess 9 would get most of them. Is there a documented list anywhere of the size restrictions for every variety of all 4 types of trees?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I need a generic seal of approval for when I find myself impressed by tree farm designs.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Stormweaver wrote:I need a generic seal of approval for when I find myself impressed by tree farm designs.
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P