Is Plate armor really worth it?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Yhetti

Is Plate armor really worth it?

Post by Yhetti »

So I got enough steel and leather and whatever for plate armor for the three main people on my map so we started using it and I am starting to think the only advantages to it(besides that steel is player made, not found) are that it protects players from dung beacons and the boots protect from groth. I guess it might also be more enchant-able with the infernal enchanter.

Am I missing something? Because it doesn't seem like steel armor is really worth it. Compared to diamonds, it's heavier, has less durability, and has the same protection.

Just wondering if there is something I am missing.
Equitis1024

Re: Is Plate armor really worth it?

Post by Equitis1024 »

The armor isn't something worth wearing all the time, but it's definitely powerful .

Not only can you put up to four enchantments on each piece, but there are various special-case benefits. In addition to the boots letting you walk on groth, with a full suit of plate armor you don't get poisoned when groth releases spores. I'd hate to walk around outdoors in a groth-infested Nether without one.
The helmet also is too tough for squid to chew through, and you can enchant it up to respiration V, which is awesome (especially the underwater breathing sound that comes with that).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:The armor isn't something worth wearing all the time, but it's definitely powerful .
Yup, that was the idea with how I balanced it: that it wouldn't be uber-armor in terms of it being absolutely best at everything, but that it would be awesome for particular situations.

Much the same thing I tried to do with leather, and from what I've seen of how people mix and match different armor types in sets, it looks like that worked out pretty well.
Yhetti wrote:has less durability
Not sure where you got this idea from. The breastplate has roughly around the same durability (slightly more), but the thing is with steel armor is that *all* pieces (boots, helmet,etc.) have the same durability as the breastplate, which means they are way more durable than the diamond equivalents.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Equitis1024 wrote:The armor isn't something worth wearing all the time, but it's definitely powerful.
That goes without saying.

I didn't know all that stuff about respiration and stuff, thanks. I can use the diamond ingots for something else.

And about the durability: I guess someone told me that, so I just believed them.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I thought plate provided slightly more protection that diamond...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the durability thing becomes a convenience feature in the late game if you're using full plate. Whereas lower tier armors wear down unevenly (meaning your boots may break way before your chest plate or what have you), if you are wearing a fresh set of plate all the pieces will wear down uniformly so that you'll likely want to recycle them all in one go.
Sarudak wrote:I thought plate provided slightly more protection that diamond...
It's the same. Both sets max out the amount of protection you get with the armor ratings only going so high in vanilla (and diamond is at the top).
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I never realized that the armor wore unevenly because they had different durability. I always figured there was some kind of oddball hidden hit location mechanic going on. Weird.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I never realized that the armor wore unevenly because they had different durability. I always figured there was some kind of oddball hidden hit location mechanic going on. Weird.
Yeah, that vanilla mechanic always struck me as rather obtuse, which is why when I created my own set of armor I left that bit out.
devak

Post by devak »

Sarudak wrote:I never realized that the armor wore unevenly because they had different durability. I always figured there was some kind of oddball hidden hit location mechanic going on. Weird.
I've seen it in the code, yet i had forgotten all about that.

Yea to me SFS armor is something you put in your chest with a big "DONT WORRY" sign on top of it, conveniently located in a blastproof "emergency room" next to all the stuff you don't have to worry about.

:D