A Journal of An Old(er) Player playing New BTW

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
B B B

A Journal of An Old(er) Player playing New BTW

Post by B B B »

I haven't played since about BTW4-21... So for me, there's a LOT of new things in the mod. Fun times.

So I thought to document my playthrough of the mod in screenshots and text. So, without further ado:
Day 1 wrote: Spawning in, the natural instinct is to punch trees. And punch trees I shall! Then Ill make a pick, and mine stone, and...

...Wait, what? WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? My fists! They...they...!

*one wiki visit later*

...Hurt? I guess?

And I got some lousy sawdust out of it. And a SINGLE plank. Ugh. This is going to take a while.

*3 trees later*

Finally, time for some crafting!
The obvious choice is a wooden pick right? Of course!

*2 wooden pickaxes later*

Time to punch some dirt...!

...or not.

*another wiki visit later*

WHY IS EVERYTHING SO HARD.

*1 shovel later*

Time to start digging! T_T

*Digging into the ground*

And what do you know? Stone!

Bloody pickaxes. So weak these days.

Axes now have a new recipe? Great.

*on the wiki*

Ah...well, at least that's easier...

*scrolls down*

Diamond Ingots. Right.

*headdesk in fustration*

*tabbing back into the game*

*make an axe, cut some more trees*

Hey, a cow!

*1 beef jerky later*

Fuck. Animals spawn less.
...HEY, CHICKEN!

*and later...*

The sun starts setting. Bloody hell. Normal Minecraft, I would've finished the entire tech tree by now; got diamonds, built a redstone computer, beat the ender dragon, house made of diamond blocks! Obsidian monument to the heavens! Instead, i'm reduced to building a dirt tower!

*starts jumping...*

...And fuck. Can't even jump a full block.
Spoiler
Show
...Thus, one stair case and dirt dust (I assume) on the ground later, my shelter for the night is finished.

And so, I end the first day thus.
Spoiler
Show
Hopefully a Creeper doesn't show up.

-END ENTRY-
God curse and bless you Flowerchild. I haven't enjoyed Minecraft this much in ages.

EDIT: oops, clicked the wrong button. Im still typing up the text, but screenshot 1 is up...

EDIT 2: And the entry is typed, copied and pasted. Enjoy?
ExpHP

Re: A Journal of An Old(er) Player playing New BTW

Post by ExpHP »

B B B wrote: And so, I end the first day thus.
Spoiler
Show
Or rather, like this:
Spoiler
Show
You succeeded in the (rather difficult) task of making a stone pick on day 1! You should be down there digging your grave! (I mean home)
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

B B B wrote:...And fuck. Can't even jump a full block.
I may be wrong, but I assume what you were referring to here was your inability to jump and place a dirt block under you. Just so you know, this is not due to not being able to jump a full block, but because of hardcore bouncing - a mechanic that makes it so you can't place anything while jumping.
DevidIta

Post by DevidIta »

OMG thats the EXACT thing that happened to me XD
Got surprised when i tryed to punch a tree the first day... I was like :" What?! No no no no no...there must be an error....what the hell is bark?? 1 single plank? Where did the saw dust come from ?! D: "
Made the wooden pick... just before go mining some stone "God why is everything so HARD now? Well at least i can make a stone shelter for later........ NOT! Okay then..."
*Checks Wiki...* Aha..ok,2 stone for axe,not that hard..
Started punching some dirt under me to make a fast shelter... Didnt had time because bloody Gloom started killing me and i punched dirt slower than usual D:
Dead.
I respawn in an unfamiliar place..Jungle,Amazing! i said...at least there is a lot more wood and maybe a temple!
As soon as i started punching the damn tree a little green spider started attacking me...Dead in 5 seconds and i couldnt even stomp that little bastard...
Ok! i say...i'll make a new world! This one made me rage enough...This time ill use the bonus chest!!
*20 seconds later..*
Oh hai little chest ! Give me your goodi...What? HAHAH Nice joke FlowerChild... A piece of Golden Wolf residue..
Lovely...
LupusExMachina

Post by LupusExMachina »

ExpHP wrote:
You succeeded in the (rather difficult) task of making a stone pick on day 1! You should be down there digging your grave! (I mean home)
Actually, it's pretty easy if you aim to get an axe first and take the chore of digging down to stone by hand. If you have any even slightly steep elevation in your vicinity when you start, you should be able to get to stone by digging only a couple of dirt blocks. If you're lucky there is even exposed stone around.

By the sunset of day two I usually have a couple of stone picks, an axe, one or two food items from the day before, an oven and if I'm really lucky, even a torch.

As certain animals don't tend to be a danger on day one, I can well go without one in my dirt hole.

As for the topic:
If you're goind to start a serious world, think well about what original spawn you want to have. You're probably going to stay there for quiet some time. Having one matching your taste in beauty and deadliness :D