New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0C Marsupial?!)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0C Marsupial?!)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.99999A0C Marsupial?! of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Sinkholes as yet another thing you shouldn't worry about, particularly in the nether, where you should really be completely relaxed about the whole thing.

-Added a few new trades to villagers to further flesh out the system in the previous releases.

-Added a chance to find a small number of peasant villagers in abandoned villages, as well as butchers and blacksmiths in semi-abandoned ones. This should give villagers a bit more progression where the basic ones are more likely to be encountered in the early game, and with the more advanced professions only being encountered as your roam further afield. This is to help play off of some of the tutorial aspects in the trades of villagers and to make them feel like a more integrated part of the overall progression. It should also make finding abandoned villages in the early game a bit more interesting and make them more worthwhile to explore. Note that this will not affect already generated villages and will only occur with new ones.

-Changed (increased) the radius at which villages will be semi-abandoned to make them a bit more prominent and fit better with the above addition of different villager types to them. Again, this only applies to newly generated villagers.

-Changed a little something something about priests. This one you should probably worry about.

-Changed skeletons to not be damaged by cactus to make them a little less of a Swiss army knife defense system.

-Changed Bloodwood logs to use the same orientation method on placement as regular vanilla logs.

-Changed snow so that the movement penalty it applies is in addition to whatever modifier the block beneath it applies, instead of overriding it entirely. This means for example that you will move faster on snow above cobble than you will on snow above leaves.

-Removed the cobble and gravel trades for villagers as upon further consideration I became concerned that those trades would actually discourage construction projects (roads in the case of gravel) as there might be a tendency to want to save those resources for trading. I also wanted to limit the possibility of cobble gens being used to generate cash. If your villagers already had such trades available, they'll still be there, but new ones won't be generated.

-Fixed problem that was causing the hunger bar not to wiggle on using a Hand Crank.

-Fixed a potential crash with the villager trading GUI that seemed to be a vanilla leftover.

-Fixed problem where Packed Earth, Dung, and Blight blocks wouldn't rotate on the Turntable in terms of them not transmitting rotation to blocks above them or attached blocks like torches.

-Fixed problem where the Block Dispenser was harvesting cocoa beans as cocoa powder, wouldn't plant cocoa beans when activated, and wouldn't spit out Cocoa Powder as an item.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Joshua37w

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.99999A0C Marsupial?!)

Post by Joshua37w »

Awesome! Looking forward to trying it out.
JiiKoo

Post by JiiKoo »

-Added a few new trades to villagers to further flesh out the system in the previous releases.
Flesh out, eh? I do wonder...
-Changed a little something something about priests. This one you should probably worry about.
O-oh no. When you say there's something to worry about I get really worried.
-Changed skeletons to not be damaged by cactus to make them a little less of a Swiss army knife defense system.
This one makes so much sense. They don't have no skin, why would they be hurt by cactus anyways? And of course the gameplay reason you mentioned. Little things like this I really appreciate.

Thanks, FC, for what looks to be another really solid patch!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Removed the cobble and gravel trades for villagers as upon further consideration I became concerned that those trades would actually discourage construction projects (roads in the case of gravel) as there might be a tendency to want to save those resources for trading. I also wanted to limit the possibility of cobble gens being used to generate cash. If your villagers already had such trades available, they'll still be there, but new ones won't be generated.

I've been using smoothstone for my roads, is gravel faster?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jakerman999 wrote:I've been using smoothstone for my roads, is gravel faster?
It's the same. The nice thing about gravel for roads though is that it sucks for other forms of construction, thus you tend to have a surplus of it laying about.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

"b" version to correct movement modifiers due to terrain not being applied consistently. All links in OP and otherwise also updated:

Download Link
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Man FC is on a roll again. I am assuming that there is gonna be one more release since you haven't hit 5.0 yet.

I like the change to Skellys and Cacti, it makes sense because they aren't fleshy creatures, so they don't really have anything that cacti can hurt.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Wow new release already, this looks exciting. I wonder what Hardcore Sinkholes could be? I haven't the faintest idea. Oh well, guess I shouldn't worry about it ;), can't wait to try this update out.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Sinkholes?! What new hell is this!
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.99999A0C Marsupial?! of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!
I'll keep some napkins by the computer. Awesome update, man!
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

I'm scared.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Is Marsupial an inside joke or part of the ever growing spiral of madness that Flowerchild has attempted to use to destroy our minds?
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added a chance to find a small number of peasant villagers in abandoned villages, as well as butchers and blacksmiths in semi-abandoned ones. This should give villagers a bit more progression where the basic ones are more likely to be encountered in the early game, and with the more advanced professions only being encountered as your roam further afield. This is to help play off of some of the tutorial aspects in the trades of villagers and to make them feel like a more integrated part of the overall progression. It should also make finding abandoned villages in the early game a bit more interesting and make them more worthwhile to explore. Note that this will not affect already generated villages and will only occur with new ones.
Ah, I was wondering how you'd tackle that issue. That's probably as elegant a solution as you'll ever find. I like it. Especially the butchers are interesting, since I really like what they do to tech progression.
FlowerChild wrote:-Changed a little something something about priests. This one you should probably worry about.
Haha, we just found a priest, I'm a bit scared :)
FlowerChild wrote:-Removed the cobble and gravel trades for villagers as upon further consideration I became concerned that those trades would actually discourage construction projects (roads in the case of gravel) as there might be a tendency to want to save those resources for trading. I also wanted to limit the possibility of cobble gens being used to generate cash. If your villagers already had such trades available, they'll still be there, but new ones won't be generated.
I like this one for sure

Super release, will give it a try ASAP. Probably tomorrow.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Ah, I was wondering how you'd tackle that issue. That's probably as elegant a solution as you'll ever find. I like it. Especially the butchers are interesting, since I really like what they do to tech progression.
Hehe...yeah, I was pondering that one since your stream, and even before then I was feeling that it was a shame that whole "tutorial" aspect wasn't better exploited. The way it stands I played around with the numbers a lot so that I think they come across quite well thematically without blowing the feel of abandoned villages actually being, you know...abandoned :)

I also added in a few small details to help emphasize the effect that I think people will get a kick out of.

Anyways, I've also been feeling for a long while that it was unfortunate that in many LPs and such that I've seen, villages within the abandoned area were often being ignored entirely by players and thus becoming non discoveries. Hopefully this brings back a little more of the "Oooo...a village" sense of excitement to them.
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote: -Added Hardcore Sinkholes as yet another thing you shouldn't worry about, particularly in the nether, where you should really be completely relaxed about the whole thing.
That almost gave me a heart attack until you said we shouldn't worry about it. What a relief...
There goes that sense of ease...
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
ada221

Post by ada221 »

you genius!

new line... new page

its almost like the beginning of the end of a poem, beautiful
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
ion

Post by ion »

stumbled upon the pigman "evil" changes. like them!
RalphKastro

Post by RalphKastro »

FlowerChild wrote:Version 4.99999A0C Marsupial?! of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

great, now this is back in my mind
Spoiler
Show
loved the sinkholes
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

"A0C"

I'm probably missing something that will look obvious in retrospect ._.

Many thanks for the fantastic update!
CandyCane

Post by CandyCane »

I love the update. My stomach flipped when I fell into a pit in the desert.

I have a question. The last update you fixed wicker returning 9 sugarcane. How about blocks of flint?
I'd like to use them as a storage block, but maybe it's intended you can't turn them back?
CryoPhönix

Post by CryoPhönix »

I have a question. The last update you fixed wicker returning 9 sugarcane. How about blocks of flint?
I'd like to use them as a storage block, but maybe it's intended you can't turn them back?
You have to break them with a pickaxe to convert the blocks back to flint.
CandyCane

Post by CandyCane »

Thank you Cryo. Oops, I'm silly I didn't check that first. Nevermind =)
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Is it a intended feature, that tamed wolves do howl now?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case in 4.899+ and i can't find it in the changelog.

In case it's intended, can someone give me a hint how to handle the reach of those sounds? Moved my wolves to a unloaded area for now...
Rob

Post by Rob »

garrak_x86 wrote:Is it a intended feature, that tamed wolves do howl now?
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case in 4.899+ and i can't find it in the changelog.

In case it's intended, can someone give me a hint how to handle the reach of those sounds? Moved my wolves to a unloaded area for now...
I'm pretty sure they have howled since FC put the feature in. Have you tried the spray bottle? A quick squirt to the face usually stops them. Mine have gotten to the point where just having the bottle in my hotbar will get them to behave.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, tamed wolves have always howled. The thing is they only howl in response (they won't howl unless they hear one first), so what their howling means is that there's a wild wolf somewhere in the vicinity.