[SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
TheGreatIntelligence

[SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

As per the title. Post anything you've found out about villager trading here and put it in spoilers if its something big.
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Yhetti

Re: [SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

Post by Yhetti »

The basics seem pretty straightforward. It appears you can trade one thing at a time with them, I just don't understand the pluses and the XP bar. I want to say you give them XP somehow and it makes their trades better, because they don't appear to get better as you trade.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti: we generally don't allow creative discoveries in spoiler threads here, and from the above, I can tell you're in creative mode.

(Haha...noob)
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:Yhetti: we generally don't allow creative discoveries in spoiler threads here, and from the above, I can tell you're in creative mode.

(Haha...noob)
Okay, yeah. I do have villagers in my real world, I made a copy of it and went over to the village in creative mode because I am impatient. And yes, I watched you put that in rawny's stream.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote: Okay, yeah. I do have villagers in my real world, I made a copy of it and went over to the village in creative mode because I am impatient. And yes, I watched you put that in rawny's stream.
There's spoilers, and then there are SPOILERS. Even people that like to discuss these discoveries don't necessarily want to have the stripper rolled out on stage in a wheelbarrow spread-eagle.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Since this is a spoiler thread, I won't put any spoiler tabs.

My discoveries so far:

As you trade with villagers, they get levels.

The amount of "+" represent how much xp villagers will gain from this transaction. If there are no pluses a villager won't get any xp from that trade.

As villagers gain levels, they'll open up more tabs for trading.

I've only traded with a farmer (brown) villager so far, and I've got a feeling I've barely scratched the surface of this system.

Certainly *much* more interesting and convenient that in vanilla. The whole flint from gravel extraction or insane amounts of emeralds for a simple tool was annoying. As from what I've seen, villagers take all kinds of items even seeds and sugar and flour. One time the farmer prompted for a water wheel.

Edit 1: It seems that when reached the end of the xp bar, an item worth "++" is needed to progress.

In higher levels, villagers tend ask from more complex items. Such as the light block.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

the above seems correct :3 though villagers do seem to still trade for some random things, a villager I have wants me to trade him an enchanting table for a iron tool o.o

after some more testing: the level of a villager indicated the amount of trades they have available at that moment, my level 3 villager (yeah got one there finally! :D ) has 3 trades where he had 2 at level 2
Rawr :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

myrkana wrote:a villager I have wants me to trade him an enchanting table for a iron tool o.o
Arou? If that actually happened, it's a bug. You absolutely certain about it?

EDIT: Yeah, just gave the code a once over and that really shouldn't be possible. Do you have any more details like the type of villager and his level at the time?
warmist

Post by warmist »

And here i was... Hoping that i have free time to program. But no! All this spoilered tasty stuff just inspired me to boot up BTW again. Great work FlowerChild (at least from what i read) :)
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

I believe it was the brown one and level 2? either 1 or 2 but im pretty certain he was a level 2 villager.

edit: I just went into creative and tested a few villagers giving them trades and such and my purple one wants an enchanting table in exchange for an emerald, it's his level up trade for level 1-level 2.

picture below :)
Spoiler
Show

back on topic: it seems they will ask for all kinds of tech :D I guess even villagers want hibachis and mill stones for their homes xD
Rawr :D
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Two emeralds for a table? What a mooch!

Now if only they actually used it, the bloody hoarders.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

myrkana wrote:I believe it was the brown one and level 2? either 1 or 2 but im pretty certain he was a level 2 villager.

edit: I just went into creative and tested a few villagers giving them trades and such and my purple one wants an enchanting table in exchange for an emerald, it's his level up trade for level 1-level 2.
Well yes, a priest asking for an enchanting table is to be expected. A villager asking for an enchanting table in exchange for a sword as you originally mentioned as "random" trades? That's the part that isn't right.
Dorugami wrote: Now if only they actually used it, the bloody hoarders.
Who says they don't? :)
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Dorugami wrote: Now if only they actually used it, the bloody hoarders.
Who says they don't? :)
Yeah, one of the things I like most so far about this system is the way that the new trades which open up at each level are related to the threshold item that you give.

So far I've managed to develop a couple lvl 4 farmers, and a lvl 3 blacksmith, priest and librarian. I like the flavor of the librarian as mad scientist and the priest as, well, I don't think I want to ask him too many questions...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote: Yeah, one of the things I like most so far about this system is the way that the new trades which open up at each level are related to the threshold item that you give.

So far I've managed to develop a couple lvl 4 farmers, and a lvl 3 blacksmith, priest and librarian. I like the flavor of the librarian as mad scientist and the priest as, well, I don't think I want to ask him too many questions...
Thanks man :)

I invested quite a bit of time into trying to give them each distinct personalities that come out through the trades, so I appreciate you taking note of that.

I think the butcher is my favorite by far though. Lots of funny shit in there if I do say so myself ;)
ion

Post by ion »

i don't understand why some villagers need hard to find and limited resources like enchanting tables and infernal enchanter while the others need a really easy item to level up
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:i don't understand why some villagers need hard to find and limited resources like enchanting tables and infernal enchanter while the others need a really easy item to level up
I don't understand why you'd expect symmetrical balance on them.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Has anyone unlockeld the level 4 on a priest villager? I'm interested to see what they've got to offer. AFAIK, it requires a vessel of the dragon, which I have yet to find.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

What does the butcher with the screw? Ouch
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Who says they don't? :)
Well...shit.

EDIT: Noticed with the changes to trading you've given a fair amount of incentive to world exploration there FC, I am particularly tickled with that. I imagine the servers to be going on a mad scramble for Vessels and Tables now, heh.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

I really like the cosmetic change that happens with the scientists at lvl 4. I wasn't expecting it, but it's such a nice touch.

Also, I was pleasantly surprised by one of the trade offers from the maxed level farmers. That will make starting nether farms in new worlds so much easier. I always dreaded beginning a search for a mushroom island, because it can take so long to find those things.

I now have a couple lvl 5 farmers, and lvl 4s of everything else except the butcher, who I haven't found yet. My supplies of many resources have been completely drained by this endeavor, so I am going to have to build a few new farms for various plants and mobs that I never needed before. That's pretty fantastic, and it doesn't even feel forced, because it makes sense why the various villagers would want the things they want.
SerraNova

Post by SerraNova »

We just discovered our first populated village on a 10-day-old world. (What timing, love it!) The village isn't all that big, but, curiously, there are no fields at all. Coincidence, or do we need to start trading with these farmers asap?!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:I really like the cosmetic change that happens with the scientists at lvl 4. I wasn't expecting it, but it's such a nice touch.
Also, I was pleasantly surprised by one of the trade offers from the maxed level farmers. That will make starting nether farms in new worlds so much easier. I always dreaded beginning a search for a mushroom island, because it can take so long to find those things.
Well, this is what I had planned when I removed the blight to groth recipe in the previous release. Just took me awhile to get this replacement in ;)
I now have a couple lvl 5 farmers, and lvl 4s of everything else except the butcher, who I haven't found yet. My supplies of many resources have been completely drained by this endeavor, so I am going to have to build a few new farms for various plants and mobs that I never needed before. That's pretty fantastic, and it doesn't even feel forced, because it makes sense why the various villagers would want the things they want.
Excellent man, I'm glad to hear it as further encouraging automation and other systems through the trade system was one of my goals. Another was to perhaps remind people of stuff in the mod they may have forgotten about or not even known about in the past.

There's still a few additional trades I want to include, and probably some tweaking to the existing ones, but very glad to hear you're already experiencing the above with what's there.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Just tried to its sooo much better :D I just wish as they leveled and gained materials theyde have increased chanced of making a golem to protect their booties
Never say no to Panda.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Panda wrote:Just tried to its sooo much better :D I just wish as they leveled and gained materials theyde have increased chanced of making a golem to protect their booties
I hope one asks me for a bow/sword, just so I can rage about him not using it XD
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote: I hope one asks me for a bow/sword, just so I can rage about him not using it XD
Or be thankful if he doesn't use it on you :)