[SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jorgebonafe

Re: [SPOILERZ] Hardcore Villagers trading mechanics.

Post by jorgebonafe »

Ok, I'm still having problems.This time the saw is on the second block, and it still doesn't work... I can hear the saw working on the moment the trap goes off, and then after that is stops, and the skelleton starts to suffocate to death. I made sure to leave space for the skeleton to get into contact with the saw. Here are some screenshots, trap in action, with skelleton suffocating, trap reset and side view. I tried it three times, same result.
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Geez, clearly I haven't been keeping an eye on this thread very much. When did it change from HC Villagers to wither skeleton traps?
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheGreatIntelligence wrote:Geez, clearly I haven't been keeping an eye on this thread very much. When did it change from HC Villagers to wither skeleton traps?
When it was mentioned that since steel requires the end, and the end requires ender eyes, and ender eyes now require a villager trade that requires you to trade a a nether star first, and a nether star requires wither skulls... that means that you won't have steel (for a head chopping battle axe) to get your first 3 wither skulls. But since it was possible to get a chopping block, pistons, saws, and mechanical power set up in a nether fortress then that might be the most effective way of getting them.
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, if it's any consolation, your own head can make for lovely decoration :)
I found this out when working on my mob trap--live--and fell into the saws. I laughed, because it was an easily preventable death, and yet a surprise. It being active, my gear all dropped into the water stream and hoppers, so it was okay. Once I made it back to my base, finding my own head was just a bonus to the joy I felt at being ripped apart! And that tasty, tasty mystery meat.

Though it may defy the laws of the old gods and new, having my own head on the wall is pretty fuggin' cool.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I expected the butcher to put this on when I traded it to him, because I had to update the textures(I added blood), but when he started asking for Mystery Meat I actually got pretty creeped out.
Spoiler
Show
chaoticneutral

Post by chaoticneutral »

Yhetti wrote:-snip-
That mask and those culinary tastes tell me he might be a psychiatrist...
--Who do you think you are, War?
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Not sure if it's an issue with the design or to be expected, but after several hours, I've chopped 30 or so wither skeletons and gotten no heads from it. I have, however, managed to obtain two heads through other means (one that I melee'd before everything was set up, and one lying on the ground from a skeleton that somehow appeared to have died on its own).

The design is as follows:
Spoiler
Show

Wither skeleton stands at (1).
When lever is pulled, (2) retracts to the left (freeing space to collide with the saw), and then (3) and (4) extend to the left. I can hear the saw operate on the skeleton twice, and the skeleton dies.

In case it makes a difference, oftentimes 2 skeletons will manage to enter at the same time (due to the 1 block drop). In this case, I still hear the saw operate twice (upon which they both die).
Update: Six skeletons later, the trap has finally produced a skull, thus completing my set.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Yhetti wrote:I expected the butcher to put this on when I traded it to him, because I had to update the textures(I added blood), but when he started asking for Mystery Meat I actually got pretty creeped out.
Spoiler
Show
Did he ask for a Breeding Harness or a Gimp Mask?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

ExpHP wrote:...
Yeah my priest also wants two Wither skulls just for the hell of it, I haven't gotten him to the nether star status yet. I have one right now, so I guess I will try your design and if it works I will go for all five(or more).

Nice design.

Edit: Wouldn't it work the same if you just removed the block at (2) or just put a siding there?
Mud wrote: Did he ask for a Breeding Harness or a Gimp Mask?
Yeah (spoiler) I think his level 3++ trade or whatever was a Breeding harness, after that he put it on his head like a genius.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Yhetti wrote:I have one right now, so I guess I will try your design and if it works I will go for all five(or more).
Actually, reading this kind of makes me want to take the image down. The intent of my post was to ask if there was possibly an issue with my setup, not to provide everyone with a template to follow (which I notice is what tends to happen whenever a new design problem like this shows up). Besides, I think my trap is quite uninspired, and I don't want to prevent other people from coming up with much cooler ideas.

Edit: Actually, never mind. The true design challenge here was making it possible to lure Wither Skeletons into the trap.
Edit: Wouldn't it work the same if you just removed the block at (2) or just put a siding there?
Not always.

The purpose of block (2) is to disengage the saw.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Honestly I am probably gonna just try various designs on my own, I haven't quite started working on mine yet because I've been working on some other projects, like perfecting my mob trap, or getting potatoes. But right now I guess this is the only thing keeping me from visiting the end.
tin

Post by tin »

Unsure if intended or not but priest enchantments also repair the tool/armor if you give him damaged stuff. Also villagers accept damaged tools for trade (like the flint and steel or iron hoe). Doesn't matter much after the crucible but it might if you find a village before that.
hawk

Post by hawk »

tin wrote:Unsure if intended or not but priest enchantments also repair the tool/armor if you give him damaged stuff. Also villagers accept damaged tools for trade (like the flint and steel or iron hoe). Doesn't matter much after the crucible but it might if you find a village before that.
I think that's a vanilla thing. It's essentially a trade like any other except it includes a similar item as payment. Should he/she/it accept a partially damaged item at all? Probably not... but I'm pretty sure it isn't unique to BTW. Can anyone else confirm this or am I talking out of my ass?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I noticed this when I was trading flint/steel and hoes to my farmers. I know that its probably because it was intended to ignore damage for itemstacks (IE so you could trade coal OR charcoal, even though you can't in BTW) but I don't know if FC did it or mojang did, it isn't consistent for all items, because it doesn't work with trees, charcoal, and various other things.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I created my own code for differentiating between the data values on stuff like saplings etc.

I can use the same functionality for damaged items, but debated for quite awhile before deciding to just let it slide the same way vanilla does as I thought it would be rather confusing and/or annoying if say you can't sell a sword that you've taken a single swing with.

As has been mentioned above, all this stuff can be recycled in BTW anyways, so the room for exploitation of it is minimal.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

Well that sure was fun. My buddy spent a long time trading with the villagers while I was in the nether getting wither skulls. Our main priest wanted 2 skulls (before we got him to Nether star level) and then it changed to one. I spent maybe 2 more hours in the nether and I managed to bring our total up to 3 and then I quit. When I got back we eventually figured out that if we traded with the priest enough we could bypass the wither skull trade and only have to trade him candles as plus trades, which is an interesting situation that FC might want to look into. And we finally got to the Nether Star trade, I built the wither and killed him with iron golems mostly, and we started being able to get ender eyes.

My nether trip was interesting, I felt like steve changed a little while he was there,he was master of hell, (a sort of Satan if you will). I happened to have a fire sword, used lots of fire resistance and strength potions, and I spent hours down there, so yeah, I felt like I had not only mastered the over-world, but now also the nether.
The new trading system forces players to take initiative in the nether, and I love that so much, even though it takes an unholy amount of time. (get it? unholy)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yhetti wrote:we could bypass the wither skull trade and only have to trade him candles as plus trades, which is an interesting situation that FC might want to look into.
No, that's by design. Leveling up your villagers has the advantage of providing multiple trade options so that you aren't stuck having to do a single one (with the exception of the level up trades which are mandatory to progress).

Granted, if you don't perform that trade it's always taking up a slot and won't ever go away, but if you have a particularly hard one you can bypass it in that manner.

In the case of the skulls there's both the optional trade, and then the mandatory one that follows in that you need skulls to get a wither star, so there's no way to bypass collecting them entirely.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

FlowerChild wrote:
Yhetti wrote:we could bypass the wither skull trade and only have to trade him candles as plus trades, which is an interesting situation that FC might want to look into.
No, that's by design. Leveling up your villagers has the advantage of providing multiple trade options so that you aren't stuck having to do a single one (with the exception of the level up trades which are mandatory to progress).

Granted, if you don't perform that trade it's always taking up a slot and won't ever go away, but if you have a particularly hard one you can bypass it in that manner.

In the case of the skulls there's both the optional trade, and then the mandatory one that follows in that you need skulls to get a wither star, so there's no way to bypass collecting them entirely.
Of course, I just didn't want to get a fourth one.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Noticed this today on the MC Wiki:
Villagers can despawn if not contained within a NPC Village.
Has anyone had any issues with relocated Villagers despawning?
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

How recent is that change/feature of mc? it might be in something after 1.5.2
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Nope... I'm pretty sure that was changed in BTW.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

I wouldn't trust that anyway, as the wiki is not always correct about things like this. Anyway, that sentence was added here: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/index.ph ... did=650748 on June 2, which means a couple things: a) it is quite possible that whoever added it is mistaken and nobody has noticed or bother to change it yet, and b) even if it is true, it most likely does not apply to 1.5.2. (I would guess that it isn't true at all and someone just mistakenly added it after having a villager killed by a zombie or something.)
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

Adding the sound to the soap trade was an excellent touch FC, bravo sir bravo. I was confused about that trade for about 10 second and then laughed hysterically. Then I was forced to explain why to my finacee, lol.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dreambolt wrote:Adding the sound to the soap trade was an excellent touch FC, bravo sir bravo. I was confused about that trade for about 10 second and then laughed hysterically. Then I was forced to explain why to my finacee, lol.
I was wondering when someone would get to that one ;)
Mesh

Post by Mesh »

Hey I'm posting this here because I don't want to post any spoilers about this trade anywhere else for anyone who wants to discover it themselves but I haven't read the rest of the thread because I'm working through villager trading myself and don't want to ruin it so please accept my apology if this has already been mentioned, but I discovered that when one of my farmer villagers asked for a hoe to level up to 2, he was quite happy to accept a fully spent hoe, zero(or very low) durability. I'm not sure if this is intended, but I felt like I had cheated a little bit when I found that it worked. Just thought I'd report it here anyway in case it isn't intended :)