Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth edition

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
ada221

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth editio

Post by ada221 »

I'm not very good with words, but this is a special occasion:

I wish you luck, man! I will definitely buy RTH when it comes out! BTW has changed MY life in a literal sense, its probably about 40% of the reason I chose Computer engineering as a major in college a year and a half ago, and it taught me the value of a game that doesn't hold your hand. I remember that first day when I looked in my subscription box on youtube and saw the yogscast video covering BTW, there were no hardcore features but the industrial aspects had me hooked. since then, watching the mod grow and develop it's identity has been quite the ride.

Thank you, Flowerchild.

You. Are. An. Inspiration.

p.s. ill get the noisemakers and cake with a BTW emblem on it (and three candles)
p.p.s When is "Better Than Minecon"? lol
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
Ultionis

Post by Ultionis »

Crawling out of the woodwork here to say thank you. I applaud this finale, I will have some of it, celebrate it, and one day point my offspring toward it. "Hot damn son," I'll say. "I had me some good times with that man's work"

Even if the final release only adds balloons powered by Ghast farts to villager children.

I picked KSP up over the weekend, even if only that I may play it to see how you, FlowerChild, improved upon it. I know that BTSM will be good because you've proven time and time again that you know what you're doing.

So huzzah! I too look forward to any endeavour you take on in the future.
I dance to the sound of a Creeper's legs breaking
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Ultionis wrote: Even if the final release only adds balloons powered by Ghast farts to villager children.
Is it bad that I suddenly want this?

Anyway, thanks for the announcement FC, and thanks for all the hard work. I would have given up on mc long ago without BTW, and hearing you talk about games has given me an entirely new perspective on things.

Do What you love, and that's your own work. I will certainly be keeping a close eye out when RTH comes along!
Psion

Post by Psion »

Ultionis wrote: Even if the final release only adds balloons powered by Ghast farts to villager children.
I'll admit, the thought of villager cihldren holding ghast pets with string to fire upon hostile creatures made me laugh a bit.

FC, gl to you on your final working streak for BTW! I wish you well on your return to home endeavor. (And considering the insanely high quality of all your works of art ive seen so far, am eagerly awaiting to see what you put out for it!) Good luck, and we're all cheering for you!
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

FlowerChild wrote:[...]I believe that playing the 1.6 update really finished me off in terms of motivation to want to continue developing for MC, and put a big underline under the fact that I need to wrap up BTW and move onto my own game.[...]
So it has been 9 months already, woah. I guess it's good you took the decision, sounds almost chronic.

Shows how much you're involved into this mod. If the actual content doesn't give enough info about that anyways.

Since i don't know a better place to ask:
It has been feature complete for a while, are you interested at all about balance observations, or any observations at this point or would it just rub a wrong spot? Because you actually know, it's not THE thing anymore and energy should be spent elsewhere.
Mostly i'm adressing this part
FlowerChild wrote:[...]unless you feel that you are communicating a useful piece of information that I need to hear for some reason, [...]
, i have a few things i was looking into / gathering data, but i do have a gutfeeling you're actually are aware of those already (but the solution might take more effort than it's worth at this point)

Anyhow, i also wish you a good time developing your own[ed] game. You proved you have the mental-skin to accomplish your visions instead of throwing candies around.
//P.S. a real thumbs up for one (nowadays uncommon thing): stable updates! Really apprieciate the testing before release.
Last edited by garrak_x86 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

garrak_x86 wrote:i have a few things i was looking into / gathering data, but i do have a gutfeeling you're actually are aware of those already (but the solution might take more effort than it's worth at this point)
I don't really know you man, and I can barely understand what you're actually trying to say above, so no, I can't say I'm interested in any balance observations you may have.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

FlowerChild wrote:I don't really know you man, and I can barely understand what you're actually trying to say above, so no, I can't say I'm interested in any balance observations you may have.
That's cool. I'm just a guy who plays your mod, dropped a donation because he likes it and reads the forum. My question is sufficiently answered :) (since i don't know which part was ambiguous i probably shouldn't just restate everything, it's fine)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

garrak_x86 wrote: That's cool. I'm just a guy who plays your mod, dropped a donation because he likes it and reads the forum.
Uh huh. I think you may be confusing the concepts of "donations" and "bribes".

A donation is a way to say thanks and support further potential development with no expectation of getting anything further in return.

A bribe is more the kind of thing you mention in an attempt to elicit a guilt response when you don't receive a favorable response.

I only accept donations.
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

Uh huh. i think you may be confusing the concepts of "explanation" and "manipulation". Please, don't push me into some dumb troll-role. I enjoy your mod, i like it and i donated because of that. Yeah, we are on the web, it's full of dumb stuff, still i just wanted to make a point i actually somewhat care about this development endeavour and do not want to push anything. Why should i ask if you're interested in observations at all if not for that reason? Sorry that i'm not that much emotionally affected to it as many people who posted in this thread.
But even if i don't have that deep connection with this project i can still see the results, have read through plenty (considering the amount let's call it 'some') of it's history and see the effort it must have been.

And in case it's not clear by now... Thanks for the mod and i'm looking forward what you accomplish in this last push.
*insert sad face*
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

garrak_x86 wrote:i think you may be confusing the concepts of "explanation" and "manipulation".
Nope. I trust my instincts in that regard. When something strikes me as out of place, it usually is.

I really don't bear you any ill will man, but at the same time I'm really not needing any potential drama at the moment while I work on these last bits. I'm giving you a time-out here for the next week to prevent the possibility of that happening.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Psion wrote:I'll admit, the thought of villager cihldren holding ghast pets with string to fire upon hostile creatures made me laugh a bit.
The thought of villagers capable of defending themselves is so silly it almost gives me hope. You are such a cruel guy to give me hope.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

I normally only lurk, but I thought it only right to chime in here and say thank you for everything! I picked up BTW nearly two years ago when I got bored of vanilla Minecraft after two months, and am still enjoying BTW to this day. You've really made something remarkable, and I can't wait to see what you do with your own game. Good luck!
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

I've always had the utmost respect for you as a game designer/developer and have admired your integrity.

I'm glad you're moving on. I hope that what you get done by the anniverary is satisfactory to you and I can't wait to see what you do with RTH!
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I keep reading all these sentiments and the only thing that comes to my mind is that when RTH does come out, I'm hoping it's worth every damn cent I'm tossing at it. And knowing the history of this mod, I know it will, and am now also antsy about how long before humanity is graced with a real game.

Hope you make a progress blog for it too FC.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Good thing that you've come to this decision.

I'm looking forward to the final and wish you the best with RTH.

Will you be launching a new blog/forum/thing in that regard? (sorry if asked, in meeting ;))
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Coffee-Dog

Post by Coffee-Dog »

I'm happy that you've finaly decided to move on. The only cold hard truth is that you are too good for Minecraft and your designing skills are just getting noobified by it! ;)

I wish you the best and I'm loooking forward for your final BTW update, I'm planning to start a new world whenever it arrives.

Also, you have already made a sale here with RTH! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Happy BTW Day Everyone!

To get the celebrations started, I'd like to share to following short-video I put together on the last year of development:

Video Link

Enjoy! :)
Ozziie

Post by Ozziie »

FlowerChild wrote:Happy BTW Day Everyone!
0:40 - 01:00 is pretty poignant

We're going home :) Happy BTW day all!

Mind if we extend the celebrations over the weekend btw?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ozziie wrote:Mind if we extend the celebrations over the weekend btw?
Sure, why not? Let's make it a week :)
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Happy BTW Day everyone! Cheers and all that stuff.
Spoiler
Show
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Best (early) birthday present I could imagine. The tension is unbelievable :)

Thank you FlowerChild for the last years!
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Shall I start a crazy stream as soon as the update hits? See how long I can stream before passing out? I am feeling a week of awesomeness coming on! :D
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
sky_demon

Post by sky_demon »

Happy BTW day! BTW went really far from its start. It was literally like watching small toddler grow to big adult. All the changes through the years made up one of the best mods you could ever get for Minecraft to experience and get back so overrated and forgotten survival aspect and the feeling that you really improve through out the time you play.

Now screw you guys, time to celebrate and later on...go..home... go home.. hmm.. that tells me something... wonder what..

Thank you FC for bringing this great, nasty, horrific, rage building and worth while playing mod ;)

Edit:

Found this cool image on deviantart :P
Spoiler
Show
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Prof_Ion wrote:Shall I start a crazy stream as soon as the update hits? See how long I can stream before passing out? I am feeling a week of awesomeness coming on! :D
And if you pass out, I'll continue streaming some BTW :)
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Sockthing wrote:
Prof_Ion wrote:Shall I start a crazy stream as soon as the update hits? See how long I can stream before passing out? I am feeling a week of awesomeness coming on! :D
And if you pass out, I'll continue streaming some BTW :)
Was thinking all of us BTW streamers should go at the same time, and advertise a multi twitch link. Get us all in a TS. :)
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.