Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth edition

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sockthing

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (March 31st) - Cold hard truth editio

Post by Sockthing »

Prof_Ion wrote: Was thinking all of us BTW streamers should go at the same time, and advertise a multi twitch link. Get us all in a TS. :)
That would be nice too!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Sockthing wrote:
Prof_Ion wrote: Was thinking all of us BTW streamers should go at the same time, and advertise a multi twitch link. Get us all in a TS. :)
That would be nice too!
I can poke at icy see if he is in. If not you and I can just do it. Will have to see who else wants in. Not sure how many streams multi twitch will cover. :)
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

I'm in for streaming after I get back from my date with the wife tonight.
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Jeet wrote:I'm in for streaming after I get back from my date with the wife tonight.
Jump on the IRC and sock, and I can give ya the TS info man. Would neat to have you around! Hopefully we can drag icy along. I am hopping to carry this party as long as I can. So all nighter FTW! :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Happy birthday, BTW!
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Happy BTW Week!
I'm going out for an "all you can eat pizza" place to celebrate :)
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

It is so convenient that today is the first day of my spring break. Gonna be able to play this all week :D
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Was kinda thinking we might want to set a time to start, regardless of the release. That way we are going, because FC will push the release when he is ready. So I was thinking maybe we start at X time, and take a quick break to update as soon as we get the goodies. As if I have been reading everything correctly most of the fixes won't change to much till mid game. We might be able to get early game in time to hit the mid. Just a thought though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, please don't plan anything around when I'm going to release guys. It just adds more pressure when I already have a sufficient amount going, thanks ;)

Can I also ask you to organize this in another thread or elsewhere? It's getting rather off-topic and I'm sure everyone following this thread doesn't also want to follow your planning this out :)
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, please don't plan anything around when I'm going to release guys. It just adds more pressure when I already have a sufficient amount going, thanks ;)

Can I also ask you to organize this in another thread or elsewhere? It's getting rather off-topic and I'm sure everyone following this thread doesn't also want to follow your planning this out :)
Oh yeah, sorry totally will take it elsewhere. And no pressure from us! I will take this to PMs and the IRC. Get things all managed nicely. :)
TallTyrionLannister

Post by TallTyrionLannister »

Been away from the forums for a while (was mostly a lurker anyhow). Got to say this news isn't disappointing in the least. I feel like FC has been held back by mods lately if he takes his same principles to indie game development I'll expect great things.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

AAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

Ok, I surrender :)

Gave it the old college try, but at this point I think the most reasonable course of action for me to take is to not put out the release today. I'm definitely too old to be pulling an all-nighter like I used to, I'm getting to the point of fatigue where I can no longer guarantee that what I'm doing is fun (which is bad, mkay?), and even if I did get it done, I'd like not have time to playtest it, which is also a tad bad. There's no point me rushing it unduly at the very end and wind up with something I'll just need to patch later.

Anyways, in terms of getting me moving on wrapping this up, I'll consider this deadline a success as it got me back on the BTW horse, I made some good progress, and the time to completion can now be measured in hours rather than weeks.

My apologies to those of you that were waiting on a release. You can rest assured that it's on its way and will be better for the small delay :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

You told us to expect this on the traditional Friday release day a week ago, man. We can wait one day for you to be able to enjoy the party too.
Better is the enemy of Good
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

DaveYanakov wrote:You told us to expect this on the traditional Friday release day a week ago, man. We can wait one day for you to be able to enjoy the party too.
Or more honestly. Whatever it takes for you to finish and leave this where you want it. We don't want it sitting around nagging in your head when you are trying to focus on the bigger and better things.

Your process has continuously brought us stable and satisfying gameplay. That takes time and we always appreciate the time you take to bring this experience to us. And this will make RTH amazing.
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

Take as much time as you need, dude.

I'm sure we all want to play the finished product but if its an extra hour, day, week or month, that's fine as long as you are happy with the final product.

If you're happy, we will be happy. And that will give you clear head for your future game development.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Anybody that cares more about getting the update "on time" than getting a completed project that you are happy with can go jump in a lake, preferably a very cold lake, with lots of hats.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

I guess all I can say is good luck and I can't wait to see what you produce if BTW is anything to go by

Perhaps it will be the first minecraft-like game that will particularly keep my interest
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
garrak_x86

Post by garrak_x86 »

FlowerChild wrote:Nope. I trust my instincts in that regard. When something strikes me as out of place, it usually is.

I really don't bear you any ill will man, but at the same time I'm really not needing any potential drama at the moment while I work on these last bits. I'm giving you a time-out here for the next week to prevent the possibility of that happening.
Just wanted to say, thanks for that additional clarification for the vacation time (has it been updated twice? i can't say at this point anymore).
At that instant it felt like running into some sort of word-filter. Which some explanation i don't mind it after all.
Since i'm in crunch mode right now, i shouldn't even try to clarify anything (it probably is by now tagged under "dealt with" & i got the answer for the question anyways, so same here).
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

garrak_x86 wrote: At that instant it felt like running into some sort of word-filter. Which some explanation i don't mind it after all.
Since i'm in crunch mode right now, i shouldn't even try to clarify anything (it probably is by now tagged under "dealt with" & i got the answer for the question anyways, so same here).
inb4
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Kalbuck wrote: inb4
Y'know... Low effort, 4 character posts often result in warnings/vacations too ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Y'know... Low effort, 4 character posts often result in warnings/vacations too ;)
Beat you to it :)

Of course, now I also feel obliged to issue you a warning as well and make a public statement to hopefully bring this finger-pointing circle-jerk to a close.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

I've been a mostly silent supporter from nearly the very beginning, and it's been a great run. Thanks for all of your hard work man!
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I will log on one last time to say: Thanks for everything. I'll be keeping my eye on your further endeavors in the world of gaming.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I just wanted to throw this out there. But if the cold hard truth of it turns out to be that you've completely lost your will to work on Btw and anything Minecraft related and the only way you can get to working on RTH is simply calling BTW done as it is I for one would fully support you. Better than wolves as far as I'm concerned is already among the greatest games I have ever played and I don't think that you would be doing it any kind of injustice by not adding more to it. On the other hand I think it would be a great tragedy if this roadblock continually prevented you from moving on to RTH. Just sayin. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I just wanted to throw this out there. But if the cold hard truth of it turns out to be that you've completely lost your will to work on Btw and anything Minecraft related and the only way you can get to working on RTH is simply calling BTW done as it is I for one would fully support you. Better than wolves as far as I'm concerned is already among the greatest games I have ever played and I don't think that you would be doing it any kind of injustice by not adding more to it. On the other hand I think it would be a great tragedy if this roadblock continually prevented you from moving on to RTH. Just sayin. :)
Believe me man, I've been struggling like crazy with that issue, so you're being quite perceptive with the above.

HOWEVER, the timing for it is also the worst it could have been over the last month as I'm neck deep in busily wrapping it up ;)

I've finally found a way to trim down my task list to manageable levels and direct it in a way that I am personally excited about and thus motivated to work on. So yes, while I wholeheartedly agree with you in principle, like I said: bad timing :)