Help with Endermen

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jackatthekilns

Help with Endermen

Post by jackatthekilns »

Has anyone seen any good tutorials on finding and killing Endermen? Getting to the End has been stumping me because I have a hard time finding and then fighting Endermen.
ion

Re: Help with Endermen

Post by ion »

i make a pillar in the desert and aggro them from above. at sand level i've made a bunker type so i can cut their legs but no other mob can enter by bunker
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Similar to ion I built simple shelters in the desert so I can agro and kill them. I also once built an over world grinder capable of getting ender pearls (although very slow it was passive and I had to light a massive area underground).
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Also: get your hands on a looting sword. Might take a few tries, but once you have a diamond looting sword, it gets a bit easier. Plus, it's an incentive to go and find a [sorry, spoilers] if you haven't already ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

Building 2-high shelters held up by fence posts are the way to go, in my opinion. They physically can't get to you, so you can just chop up their legs.

They're also good for dotting about your base in case you accidentally aggro one and want to hide.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If you dig a pit trap in the desert deep enough to kill them with fall damage and put a tower above that, you can get half a dozen pearls in a night without trying too hard.
Better is the enemy of Good
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

DaveYanakov wrote:If you dig a pit trap in the desert deep enough to kill them with fall damage and put a tower above that, you can get half a dozen pearls in a night without trying too hard.
As a point of interest, is the fall damage variable? I've tried this before and some of em don't die quite right.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote: As a point of interest, is the fall damage variable? I've tried this before and some of em don't die quite right.
If I remember right, I think I changed it to be, yes, to take some of the mathematical precision out of drop traps to make them feel more organic and to give a bit of a bump to more elaborate kill mechanisms.

You might want to search the change log for that though, as I can't remember if it was something I was considering doing, or something I actually did :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Digging down to bottom strata has killed the majority for me. The ones that survive end up just teleporting away eventually so there isn't much clogging to worry about.
Better is the enemy of Good
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Why is everyone suggesting deserts? Is it just because it's a flat, open area or is there something about deserts and endermen I don't know about?
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

gaga654 wrote:Why is everyone suggesting deserts? Is it just because it's a flat, open area or is there something about deserts and endermen I don't know about?
It's easier to attract Endermen in deserts due to the lack of high standing foliage.

@FC, been rummaging around all listed changelogs on the wiki and not one mention on variable fall damage. That or I missed it. If you're planning it though, that's enough reason to plan ahead as well. Cheers.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dorugami wrote:@FC, been rummaging around all listed changelogs on the wiki and not one mention on variable fall damage. That or I missed it. If you're planning it though, that's enough reason to plan ahead as well. Cheers.
By "change log" I mean the one in the readme. The one on the wiki is community maintained and I have nothing to do with it.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:
Dorugami wrote:@FC, been rummaging around all listed changelogs on the wiki and not one mention on variable fall damage. That or I missed it. If you're planning it though, that's enough reason to plan ahead as well. Cheers.
By "change log" I mean the one in the readme. The one on the wiki is community maintained and I have nothing to do with it.
Fair point. The readme was easier skimmed too. Buzzed by anything with the term fall and damage, but only came up with relevant changes to anvils, melons, mine-carts, hoppers, and cauldron interactions.

Best guess for my conundrum is that some just teleport in there and so weren't damaged by the fall.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

gaga654 wrote:Why is everyone suggesting deserts? Is it just because it's a flat, open area or is there something about deserts and endermen I don't know about?
Also, it doesn't rain on deserts so endermen don't teleport away.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Thank you everyone for the help. It will be a while before I can try this stuff because I just died and respawned.

Question, Why hold up the 2 high platform with a fence post? is it for decoration or does it serve a purpose
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

jackatthekilns wrote:Thank you everyone for the help. It will be a while before I can try this stuff because I just died and respawned.

Question, Why hold up the 2 high platform with a fence post? is it for decoration or does it serve a purpose
With a fence it still allows you to hit an ender man at the corner since a fence has a smaller hit box size than a normal block. If you used a normal block it's possible an enderman could be at the right location that you couldn't hit it without having to leave the safety of the shelter for a brief moment.
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

What SterlingRed said. I mean, you could have a floating block if you wanted to and omit the fences, but I prefer a bit of form with my function. Fences tend to be the least restrictive way to go about it, and they make the shelter feel more secure if you've got an obvious inner area where you know you are safely out of reach.