Trapped with Ghasts

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Pelagi

Trapped with Ghasts

Post by Pelagi »

So, I went into the Nether, and an unexpected surprise was waiting for me there. I guess a creeper got into the Nether, and when i went through he blew my portal away. So, my dumbass didn't bring flint and coal in there to re-ignite the portal, now I'm stuck with no way out. So what do you kind people think I should do? Just die?
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
Moldiworp2

Re: Trapped with Ghasts

Post by Moldiworp2 »

The only option unless I'm mistaken, is to have a Ghast fire at you in the portal. Also since FC changed Ghasts to aim far better this tactic is rather effective, once you get the hang of it :)
Six

Post by Six »

Yeah, this is surprisingly a lot easier with ghasts that are good shots. The other option if you have any wood on you is to try and make a trail of burnables to the portal, such that the side of a block next to the portal catches fire.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

Six wrote:The other option if you have any wood on you is to try and make a trail of burnables to the portal, such that the side of a block next to the portal catches fire.

Good luck, and look forward to hearing how it turns out.
Holy crap?! Is that actually possible? I built a wall out of wood, I'll tear it down I guess and go from there. If that doesn't work, I'll have to move to the old ghast trick. That is if one can even find me where the portal was placed.
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
Pelagi

Post by Pelagi »

Whelp I died. Neither one worked. Time to restart for the first time ever! This time in a Jungle/Taiga! Hope I don't get too frustrated.
--- VENI, VIDI, VICI ---
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Having a ghast re-start your portal is actually possible, but if you think you can do it without at least full leather armor you're gonna have a bad time. The fireball blast must light up at least one of the two obsidian blocks at the bottom. Better if you have a cobblestone floor to weave and dodge and hide around the portal while you coax ghasts. Careful to block it off as soon as possible or you may have another dead portal soon after. Something to keep in mind next time you get trapped inside.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

For future reference, if you get stuck without flint and steel on the wrong side of the portal, there is a method to relight it without doing the ghast-dance. It appears below inna da spoiler in case you would rather figure it out for yourself.
Spoiler
Show
You'll need a burnable block or two and a location which is accessible from a lava source. Without these, the ghast-dance becomes the only option.

Dig a trench from the lava source to on side of the portal. Here is an amazingly detailed and intricate drawing to illustrate the location of the trench:

v Portal
#
#
#
N_N

N = Netherrack

Note that the trench sits in just in front of the portal. The depth of the trench will depend on how many blocks away from the lava source your portal is as well as how many burnable blocks you have. Once the lava fills the trench, place burnable blocks above the lava all the way up to the lip of the portal. Marvel again at the artistry:

v Portal
######
#......#
#......#
#| | |#
--------

| | = Burnable Block

Note how the burnable blocks sit up against the lower row of obsidian on your portal. This means that, depending on the depth of your trench, you may need more than one set of burnable blocks so that the fire crawls up each of them.

v Portal
#
#
#B
NBN
NBN
N_N

N = Netherrack
_ = Lava Flow
B = Burnable Block

The illustration here is of a three-block-deep trench. Eventually, each burnable block will catch fire (with luck) and relight the portal. I've used this method several times before to light a portal on both the Overworld and Nether sides.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Kallowe

Post by Kallowe »

Your problem seems to have been solved, but what I did once was make a fire charge. It may not be possible in BTW though as this was in vanilla.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Month long necro for a random vanilla point you aren't even sure of. Nice...