New Release! (BTW V4.89PHILLIP)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

New Release! (BTW V4.89PHILLIP)

Post by FlowerChild »

Version 4.89PHILLIP of Better Than Wolves is ready for download!

Download Link

This release contains the following changes:

-Added Hardcore Brewing. This is comprised of a number of small changes to the potion brewing system detailed below, to hopefully better balance it relative to the rest of the mod's content, and to up the value of various mob drops, while reducing the prominence of the whole "golden vegetable" bit. As a general heads up though: don't make any assumptions about how to brew potions or their effects and make sure to read the below changes, as it's rather different from vanilla Minecraft now.

-Added recipe to convert planks straight into Shafts with a single block for convenience, particularly in the early game.

-Added the "Mysterious Gland" as a new semi-rare drop to squid which is used in the brewing of healing potions, instead of glistening melons.

-Changed fermented spider eyes to "Venom Sacks", and removed the ability to craft them. They are now a semi-rare drop from jungle spiders, and are used in the same way as fermented eyes used to be within potion brewing.

-Changed the Grate and Wicker recipes to require 9 Shafts or sugar cane in a full crafting grid rather than the previous 4 for balance, particularly in the early game where they were being used by some players for excessively cheap barricades and windows.

-Changed night vision potions to be created with spider eyes rather than golden carrots.

-Changed (reduced) the drop rate of spider eyes to be a semi-rare drop to fit their new role in potion brewing.

-Changed poison potions to be created with red mushrooms rather than spider eyes.

-Changed the visual effect on night vision potions both to look cooler in terms of having interesting visual effects depending on circumstance, and so that you can now distinguish between areas in light and darkness with it active, as there were some rather severe disadvantages previously to using it as you couldn't really tell which areas were in darkness, and thus where monsters could spawn.

-Changed Creeper Oysters to brew splash potions rather than gunpowder to open up the possibility of using offensive potions earlier in the game.

-Changed Brimstone to be used to increase the potency of potions rather than glowstone dust to create more of a progression to when you gain access to more powerful potions.

-Changed the recipe for maps to have a Soul Urn in the top and bottom middle crafting slots instead of paper (it is unchanged otherwise with paper on the sides and a compass in the middle). This was done both to better explain the "magic GPS" aspect of maps, so that they can't be relied on for navigation in the early game, and so that they fill the role more of an advanced navigation tool in the overall tech progression. All told, hopefully they will feel a little less cheaty now, and more like a legitimate gameplay feature.

-Changed jungle saplings so that 4 of them next to each other will only grow into huge jungle trees if all 4 are fully grown.

-Removed the spider eye drop from jungle and cave spiders. They are now exclusive to regular giant spiders. In combination with the venom sack change above, this gives a distinct role to the different spider types, and a specific reason to farm Jungle Spiders.

-Removed the whole "healing potions hurt undead, harming potions heal them" thing from the game, as it was just hurting potion brewing overall as a system. The problem was that it turned healing potions into a "swiss army knife" where they would both help you and hurt a good portion of the mobs in the game, including the wither, which is probably the fight where you most want potions. Meanwhile, it relegated harming potions to pretty much never being used as a result (except in PvP) due to their tendency to both hurt you and help mobs. Short version: all potions now effect undead the same way they effect other mobs.

-Removed spider immunity to poison potions for similar reasons (this applies to all spider types). Minecraft just doesn't have enough mob types to justify these kinds of rules for potion use against them. This isn't a classic RPG with over a hundred mobs or something that can support these kind of special case rules for potion use, without drastically decreasing their effectiveness to the point of being useless. If potions are only effective some of the time, players likely just won't bother with them, and certainly won't keep them in their hot bar.

-Removed the ability to craft Blight into Nether Groth as it never really suited its intent as a nasty side-effect of the player's actions rather than something you'd want to intentionally create. Mycellium is thus the only way to create it once again, but an alternate method will be coming soon in an upcoming release.

-Fixed a problem with sapling growth where they would revert to the smallest size on occasion if growing in tight spaces.

Enjoy! :)

-------------

If you'd like to say thanks for this release and help contribute to the further development of Better Than Wolves, please consider making a donation:

Gunnerman21

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.89PHILLIP)

Post by Gunnerman21 »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added recipe to convert planks straight into Shafts with a single block for convenience, particularly in the early game.
Thank you! I've screwed myself so many times by running out of sticks and axes and only having one plank left. This is an enormous help :)

And hardcore brewing sounds good too ;)
"Phillip your brewing stands with fresh potion recipes!"
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

<dances>......<dances>.....tentacle and glans..err glands goodness.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

10:05pm EST Ribky finishes setting up new computer.

10:12pm EST Flowerchild posts update (YAY)

10:34pm EST Ribky sees this update and becomes doubly elated!!!

Holy crap thank you FC! It's like double Christmas today.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

TYUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

This is the greatest thing ever. I wasn't expecting this update to be this extensive, let alone be out this fast. I am really looking forward to firing up btw when I get home.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Great seeing you back updating again :D awesome update too.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Another reason to grab an early pair of shears!
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
will_holmes

Post by will_holmes »

This is brilliant, well done. One tiny niggle is that it's spelled "venom sac" instead of "venom sack". Other than that, it looks exciting!
Ambrason

Post by Ambrason »

will_holmes wrote:This is brilliant, well done. One tiny niggle is that it's spelled "venom sac" instead of "venom sack". Other than that, it looks exciting!
Are you sure it's an error? I just assumed that the new theme for potion brewing was male genitals instead of the golden vegetables.
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thank you Flower!
Kalbuck

Post by Kalbuck »

Excited for this release FC! This will save on the waste from my mob trap a hell of a lot, which I'm sure was part of your intention. Not only that, but your changes actually make sense in terms of gameplay. Spider eyes glow in the dark? NIGHT VISION. Red shrooms poison you? POISON. It actually makes the vMC rules look stupid in comparison.
TSA

Post by TSA »

wow i was expecting a bug fix release
but instead you gave us a revamp of brewing potions

how awesome is that?

thank you FC
LunaticToad
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Wait what ?!
Hidden message ?
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

Great Update as always!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow, this is awesome! Great job on the new release! As always, keep up the good work!
EDIT: Removed now irrelevant material
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
tyydudu

Post by tyydudu »

yaay! Been waiting for the update for a while, glad it came!
Just the night before the update I finished my barrier of wicker :)
Anyway, quick question:
Is there ever going to be BTW mod in Minecraft 1.6 or higher? No mean to annoy anyone, couldn't find any topic related to my question.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Hipnos

Post by Hipnos »

Phillip must be Kevin's younger brother ;)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Thank you very much for the brewing changes. They used to be so ridiculously powerful that I shunned then in all but the most extreme cases but now we have excellent reasons to build specific mob traps.

Thank you for the video Icy. The new visual effect on night vision is terrifically spiffy and it would have been months before I got a chance to see it for myself on my playthrough.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

tyydudu wrote:yaay! Been waiting for the update for a while, glad it came!
Just the night before the update I finished my barrier of wicker :)
Anyway, quick question:
Is there ever going to be BTW mod in Minecraft 1.6 or higher? No mean to annoy anyone, couldn't find any topic related to my question.
It's highly unlikely; the wheat/chaff ratio of recent releases means it'd take more time to update and rip stuff out than it would simply to mod in any 'good' features into this version.

(I replied to this because since BTW has been inactive for a little while, there is a chance people genuinely don't know)

On topic: Whooo, update! The potion changes (primarily the harm/heal thing with the undead) are brilliant; finally more than just the health gain ones will be viable.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the thanks guys! Was very nice to wake up to :)
DaveYanakov wrote:Thank you very much for the brewing changes. They used to be so ridiculously powerful that I shunned then in all but the most extreme cases but now we have excellent reasons to build specific mob traps.
Yeah, I feel much the same way. I always strayed away from potions, for precisely the reasons you mention, but now I find myself wanting to brew them. Same with maps actually. It's amazing what a relatively small recipe change can do for the legitimacy of a feature.

Makes me wish I had stopped denying their existence a little sooner ;)
will_holmes wrote:This is brilliant, well done. One tiny niggle is that it's spelled "venom sac" instead of "venom sack". Other than that, it looks exciting!
Well I'll be, you learn something every day :)

I'll think it over though, as like was pointed out above, it does make for a decent gag this way, even if I didn't originally intend it.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

O.O

This is amazing!
Six

Post by Six »

I love the brewing changes flavor wise too. Brimstone, toadstools, netherwart and monster parts, all feels much more witchy and consistent. I also like the interesting consistency across aggressive mob drops now, with most having their standard drops and a rare drop which can be used in potion making. Actually, looking at it closer, this is now true for all non-undead, minus slimes and endermen (though on nether mobs the drops aren't super rare).

BTW consistency is the best.
Z_Evil

Post by Z_Evil »

I love all of this!
Once you got mob traps going, some items seemed to just keep getting thrown away due to lack of uses versus numbers. Now it sounds like some new farms need to be made for other items, ah, the fun of trying to think of these builds!