New Release! (BTW V4.89PHILLIP)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
eternal8phoenix

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.89PHILLIP)

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Awesome! Not played it yet, but this smells like it's gonna rock:)

Gonna download and install...then spend the next six months trying to find a damned brewing stand. I swear I have the worst luck when it comes to place generation.
TallTyrionLannister

Post by TallTyrionLannister »

My most compelling thought here is that I'd now be completely boned if I ever tried to play vMC again, as so much is different (better) in BTW. Then again... why would i play vMC again? Really great additions, FC. Once again, you find ways to improve on the game that I didn't even know needed improving until I try your version and wonder what the heck Mojang was smoking. I'm really glad to see you back at it, and I'm encouraged by your renewed focus. Cheers!
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

Great to have you back, and more stuff coming.
Whenever I read the change logs there are the following things coming up to my mind:
-'Really? Why did he make this more difficult'
-'Oh wow, never thought of this one, might become fun'
And then playing I realize that it actually is fun what he did, even so I hate the way I have to go to get access to the high tech stuff I want to build what my fantasy produces.

Sometimes I really wonder if Notch hired FC to develop this Mod because he suspected what will happen to his game once he leaves. But this is just a thought.
caveatEmptor

Post by caveatEmptor »

Bah, just as I am finishing up my mob trap, now I want to go back and get it to include spiders too. Looking forward to trying out the new brewing when I finally find a brewing stand.

Also, when turning wicker back into sugarcane I'm only getting 4. Unintentional I assume?
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

caveatEmptor wrote:Bah, just as I am finishing up my mob trap, now I want to go back and get it to include spiders too.
Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that yet. You managed to make spider kills more beneficial in mob traps :D

Intentional I recon?

Great release man :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Oh wow, I hadn't noticed that yet. You managed to make spider kills more beneficial in mob traps :D

Intentional I recon?
But of course :)

Beyond better balancing and creating a sense of progression to potions, a big part of these brewing changes was trying to better balance and incentivize various forms of mob traps, and get the ingredients away from stuff that already had solid in game use (redstone, glowstone dust, gunpowder, etc.). I'm still not certain I'm 100% done with motivating traps that include spiders, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

But yeah, I mentioned awhile ago in another thread that I wanted to do something for spiders in traps, and this release includes at least the first part of that. In fact, I think that's what first motivated me to look at potion brewing overall as I considered the various spider drops and how to potentially increase their value.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:But of course :)

Beyond better balancing and creating a sense of progression to potions, a big part of these brewing changes was trying to better balance and incentivize various forms of mob traps, and get the ingredients away from stuff that already had solid in game use (redstone, glowstone dust, gunpowder, etc.). I'm still not certain I'm 100% done with motivating traps that include spiders, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

But yeah, I mentioned awhile ago in another thread that I wanted to do something for spiders in traps, and this release includes at least the first part of that. In fact, I think that's what first motivated me to look at potion brewing overall as I considered the various spider drops and how to potentially increase their value.
As with most of your stuff, you don't have to explain. I get it. It's just so obvious that any moron would think of it. Only we don't of course and you do and then we get to go "It's just so obvious! Why didn't I think of that?" :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Gilberreke wrote:As with most of your stuff, you don't have to explain. I get it. It's just so obvious that any moron would think of it. Only we don't of course and you do and then we get to go "It's just so obvious! Why didn't I think of that?" :)
Spoiler
Show
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I like potions, and because of these recent changes i made a squid trap (very rudimentary) well, from that I got a scroll, and decided to put it on a help (to complement the boots) and now... underwater.. so good.
Spoiler
Show
TLDR: I AM DARTH VADER!
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
Mud

Post by Mud »

Ah yes, even more motivation to create a Kalmari grinder! Also happy that my neat little pile of Spider Eyes which was sitting in my "tackle box" now has a good use.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

I just gotta ask, since it just hit me...is the PHILLIP part a reference to an old discussion about the supposed name for the Beast?
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Dorugami wrote:I just gotta ask, since it just hit me...is the PHILLIP part a reference to an old discussion about the supposed name for the Beast?
I knew i read that name before on these forums. Thx for bringing my paranoia down a bit... now i need find out why the government wants my kidneys.

Thx FC for pulling me back to BTW again
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Man I haven't been able to play this in a long time and now I'm so excited about playing it again now that it's back on track. After all there's nothing more fun than spaying creepers on the run and making explosive potions by adding creeperticles.

And wtf Battosay's alive?
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Just tested the new nightvision effect, and i must say, good job on that one, although its just a little change, it feels much more like a potion now, and less like a magic spell as it always felt like for me :)
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote: -Removed the whole "healing potions hurt undead, harming potions heal them" thing from the game, as it was just hurting potion brewing overall as a system. The problem was that it turned healing potions into a "swiss army knife" where they would both help you and hurt a good portion of the mobs in the game, including the wither, which is probably the fight where you most want potions. Meanwhile, it relegated harming potions to pretty much never being used as a result (except in PvP) due to their tendency to both hurt you and help mobs. Short version: all potions now effect undead the same way they effect other mobs.
This is such an amazing improvement. Harming potions were just useless before. Now I might actually craft them!

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the Grate and Wicker recipes to require 9 Shafts or sugar cane in a full crafting grid rather than the previous 4 for balance, particularly in the early game where they were being used by some players for excessively cheap barricades and windows.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Now I'll never be able to give all my buildings wicker roofs =( I guess I'll have to double my sugarcane farm now. It's a good balance though I suppose. Early game wicker isn't very usefull for anything else anyway.

Awesome release yet again, thank you monsieur FC!
Mechnician

Post by Mechnician »

Like most of those above, I found this update to be one of my favorite, I always though potions were fun, even though I just kinda kept them hidden in a chest, and I thank you for this beautiful addition to the Better than world.

Note; do cave spiders get left out? I feel like they should get spider eye drops due to their existance only in pitch black caves and dim mineshafts, I also kinda think that their webs should be removed from their spawners, when I find one I feel like I've hit a jackpot of string. Meh. Anyways, Keep up the good work!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Given cave spiders only originate with spawners, I don't want to promote spawner-based traps (which tend to be inherently lame) by giving them valuable drops.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I completely overlooked when proper boat destruction noise was added :D very satesfying.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I know I haven't played minecraft in a long time but I decided to come back to give it a proper go. And it's...really satisfying.

I've just finished the hard work of recovering from a hardcore spawn; sat in a hole in the middle of a wolf-filled forest, food slowly running out as I work my way down into the depths. Never (and I mean never) have I been so happy to find redstone so I can finally get the hell away from this place :3 And it seems my route to freedom is pointing at what I believe to be a distant swamp, so with luck I can start to experience this update's changes soon!
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DrakenMinisco

Post by DrakenMinisco »

Awesome installing it now.
Later today I'm having a small LAN party only 5 of us.
One always makes potions as soon as possible and then starts to pvp the others.
Two of them have never played BTW before so Should be fun watching them die a lot.
And the other is kind of my own personal slave who does what ever I say lol.

Should be a fun night. Thanks for the awesome update.
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

Just to be sure, (since it has been a long while since the last release, and i have not seen anything that says not i suppose) the current BTW compatibility version is 1.5.2 correct?
Thyrllann

Post by Thyrllann »

HappyDyas wrote:Just to be sure, (since it has been a long while since the last release, and i have not seen anything that says not i suppose) the current BTW compatibility version is 1.5.2 correct?
Yep, still 1.5.2
FlowerChild wrote:MCF would probably not approve of "you've got a massive spider-cock stuck in your throat" status effect.